First mods - CAI/Air Filter?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue 2017 Civic LX 2.0 w/ Honda Sensing
Hi there!

I have a brand new (550 miles so far) LX 2.0 CVT w/ Honda Sensing.

I was thinking of just doing these mods to have a fun experience, since I will be selling the car in a few years to study abroad.

So, first car and first mods. Do you reccomend these?

Do they conflict with each other in any way? What's this I hear about oil with the K&N air filter?
Honda Civic 10th gen First mods - CAI/Air Filter? IMG_0500.PNG
Sponsored

OP
OP
DiminishingReturns
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car has full warranty and maintenance included for 3 years. I called service and they said it's ok as long as it does not cause any problems, because if the car has problems and they can link it to the parts, I am screwed. So, no tuning.

Should I wait X amount of miles before installing either of these?

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi there!

I have a brand new (550 miles so far) LX 2.0 CVT w/ Honda Sensing.

I was thinking of just doing these mods to have a fun experience, since I will be selling the car in a few years to study abroad.

So, first car and first mods. Do you reccomend these?

Do they conflict with each other in any way? What's this I hear about oil with the K&N air filter?
IMG_0500.PNG
you can only use one or the other. the top one completely replaces the intake, vs the bottom one which just swaps out the stock filter for a slightly better flowing one

OP
OP
DiminishingReturns
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you can only use one or the other. the top one completely replaces the intake, vs the bottom one which just swaps out the stock filter for a slightly better flowing one
I heard some members saying that the intake is a bit on the expensive side. Opinions?
Is 7HP decent vs most intakes? I think I saw the K&N equivalent only gave like 4 HP.

And thanks!

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I heard some members saying that the intake is a bit on the expensive side. Opinions?
Is 7HP decent vs most intakes? I think I saw the K&N equivalent only gave like 4 HP.

And thanks!
yeah, most intakes will be on the expensive side vs a dropin airfilter. but in reality most people just change it out for the sound, 4-7 hp for the price you cant really feel it in the butt dyno, lol. i know hondata just released a video taking about intake gains, and the most were gained from CAI not from short rams which only made close to stock power

OP
OP
DiminishingReturns
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah, most intakes will be on the expensive side vs a dropin airfilter. but in reality most people just change it out for the sound, 4-7 hp for the price you cant really feel it in the butt dyno, lol. i know hondata just released a video taking about intake gains, and the most were gained from CAI not from short rams which only made close to stock power
The video is not working :( (Fixed now)

I called AEM and they said it SHOULD fit my 2017 since it is a 2.0, however, they haven't tested on one... I shouldn't have any issues, right?

The video, even though I can't see it, if its from Hondata it will probably just for the turbo engines, not 2.0 though...

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The video is not working :( (Fixed now)

I called AEM and they said it SHOULD fit my 2017 since it is a 2.0, however, they haven't tested on one... I shouldn't have any issues, right?

The video, even though I can't see it, if its from Hondata it will probably just for the turbo engines, not 2.0 though...
lol, thats weird because AEM makes for both the 1.5 and the 2.0 engine

but it goes to show even on a forced induction engine it barely made gains, so for a NA you wouldn't expect much more.

Sammymatik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Sport 6MT, 91' miata, 02' beater DD civic hybrid
Country flag
I would have liked to see a dyno with the drop in K&N. Seems like the short/long ram type cold air intakes barely do anything... for $300? Better off just putting that into the ktuner/hondata. I think I"m gonna just get the K&N drop in and call it good as the number gains from the CAI doesn't seem all that impressive.

Reactions: 18k
OP
OP
DiminishingReturns
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have liked to see a dyno with the drop in K&N. Seems like the short/long ram type cold air intakes barely do anything... for $300? Better off just putting that into the ktuner/hondata. I think I"m gonna just get the K&N drop in and call it good as the number gains from the CAI doesn't seem all that impressive.
With tuning comes more risk of exploding engine. Sevice guy told me an accord recently came in with engine blown due to Hondata

Sammymatik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Sport 6MT, 91' miata, 02' beater DD civic hybrid
Country flag
With tuning comes more risk of exploding engine. Sevice guy told me an accord recently came in with engine blown due to Hondata
yes, i'm still a bit put off that the stock boos is 15psi on a 10.3:1 compression engine... if you tune to the bleeding edge, damage will be inevitable. I just want a bump in power... the numbers from the +6 PSI tune seems fine to me, i'd just stop there. I'm not planning to race or anything and it's my wifes DD car anyway so, I don't want to make it overly aggressive. My son loves it when the turbo kicks in though. He always says, "vroooom!" lol...

Though from what i've seen in the video comparison of the intakes, seems like the ecu tuners are probably better for where I'd like to go. I know honda has been very conservative with these new turbo engines to increase reliability. It's just entertainment for me to increase power. Probably shouldn't bother and just focus on making carbon stuff instead ;-) We'll see where I go eventually.

OP
OP
DiminishingReturns
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since I live in a tropical island, I have decided not to install the intake, it could damage the engine if it took in water.

I already have upgraded 17' wheels from factory, rubber floor mats and some 215 Michellin tires.

I will tint it and once I am through with those initial tires I'll get some 225's (don't think I need to change wheels).
Sponsored