Finally test drive CW Type R - But didn't buy it

Honda Marketing

First Name
kimha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type-S
A few months ago a Honda dealer in Southern CA told me that they will have a CW CTR in June and will sell it to me for MSRP + max of $5K in accessories. They called me today and said the car is ready for pick up and texted me a few pics. I brought my check book thinking I will be driving the car home today. Not so fast. After test drove the car on I-5 up to 80 MPH we came back to the office to sign the papers. The price has changed from MSRP + $5K to MSRP + $11K. I looked at the accessories list and the total price is less than $3k so I asked where is the additional $8K came from? The sales guy told me the additional $11K includes accessories plus mandatory "extended warranty". I didn't want to waste anymore time so I told him I will pay up to $5K of accessories and NOT a penny more, and went home. On my way out there was a gentleman standing near my car smiling at me. He spent over 2 hours in the GM's office for the same car before me, and he was not the first one.

I am happy and fortunate that I had the opportunity to test drive the CTR. Now that I have driven the CTR and the Civic SI, I no longer have the craving to buy the CTR at above MSRP. For routine driving on inside streets and on highway up to 80mph, there is very little difference between the type R and the Si for me. The type R is really meant for the people who wants to use it on the race track or on a open and winding road. Otherwise you will be using only half of its potential, which is the SI. For $46K I would rather get the SI for myself and the hatchback for my daughter. If Honda introduces a lower trim of the type R in a few years, then I will get one only if dealers are willing to sell at or below MSRP. I am no longer hunting for a 2107 CTR. In fact I have contacted all the dealers to remove my name from their wait lists, to make room for other 2017 CTR enthusiasts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jtrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2010 Accord Crosstour, Rallye Red CTR
Damn!!!! That's some expensive extended warranty. Sorry man but this happens about 5 times a day on the naughty dealers list. It just seems to be some sort of extensive greed-a-phobia coming over just about every dealer in America. I commend you for telling them to stuff it especially after you drove it. Maybe things will calm down for new cars but I doubt it. Wait a month or so and see if a used one with low miles comes up before you pick up the SI if you can. Just a thought.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
Type R is a great car at 34k... anything above that even at 40k I'd go with something AWD. Either way I couldnt' spend myself spending 45k on a hot hatch when there are some serious cars in that price range.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
When I bought my HB the sales manager was so friendly and jolly until I turned down the extended warranty after no less than six attempts by him to sell it to me, after that he was strictly business, got the paperwork done and I was out of there. I was almost getting a bit angry having to say 'no thanks' so many times, but I kept my cool. It was ridiculous. I don't buy new cars very often, that was the worst part of the experience, didn't really see his persistence as necessary.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
When I bought my HB the sales manager was so friendly and jolly until I turned down the extended warranty after no less than six attempts by him to sell it to me, after that he was strictly business, got the paperwork done and I was out of there. I was almost getting a bit angry having to say 'no thanks' so many times, but I kept my cool. It was ridiculous. I don't buy new cars very often, that was the worst part of the experience, didn't really see his persistence as necessary.
Yeah, the "financing office" is where all the hard sell tactics come in, out on the showroom floor it's all buddy, buddy.

I did end up with the wheel and tire protection on mine after about 30 mins of back and forth, and I'm using it this month to fix a scuffed rim so I guess I'll make it worth the $340 I paid.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK8 CW
2018 MY should come in 2 trims. However Honda is probably not going to lower the price from 33,900 base. Most likely it'll go up $600-900.

I think the worth of the car will always be subjective. There's people that waited 20 years and some that just had this in their radar recently.

Whether this will be tracked or not, will always be a great piece of engineering and there's some value of being one of the first

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
2018 MY should come in 2 trims. However Honda is probably not going to lower the price from 33,900 base. Most likely it'll go up $600-900.

I think the worth of the car will always be subjective. There's people that waited 20 years and some that just had this in their radar recently.

Whether this will be tracked or not, will always be a great piece of engineering and there's some value of being one of the first
i'm sure price will go up as with inflation and currency trade. But I guarantee you I can get a 2018 next year cheaper than 17's at msrp.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I got mine yesterday and my drive to work this morning was so much damn fun. It's mostly highway with minimal traffic. I don't plan on taking it to the track anytime soon, and depending on life it may not see the track's concrete. Regardless, this car wants to be driven and pushed, but the comfort mode also makes it feel more like an everyday driver. It's built for track and street.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Damn, that blows. These CA dealers are really on some kind of drugs that make them think they can fool people.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
that sux, but good decision! I'm afraid lots of FCFS type dealers will be this way. Most dealers will try to get u either way. Brave move and glad you stuck to it. I think lots of people might just bite going this far. I knew i bit at one point buying a new car. Wasting 3k on extended warranty. Lesson learned..

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
that sux, but good decision! I'm afraid lots of FCFS type dealers will be this way. Most dealers will try to get u either way. Brave move and glad you stuck to it. I think lots of people might just bite going this far. I knew i bit at one point buying a new car. Wasting 3k on extended warranty. Lesson learned..
I have bought an extended warranty ONCE and that was only because I was putting so many miles on a car I wanted to make sure the CVT was covered for at least as long as I was making payments.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
You could have taken the extended warranty and cancelled it two days later for a full refund. The money would have gone back to the principal amount or check written back to you. Either way, you got to test drive it and it wasn't for you. IMO there will be a lot of people who feel the same way except they have already bought the car. Used car market is going to be great on these.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag

Unless you got one of the first 100 cars I would argue there's negative value in being the first as most people are paying obscene amounts for a car that others will get later at MSRP and all the bugs worked out.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
For routine driving on inside streets and on highway up to 80mph, there is very little difference between the type R and the Si for me. The type R is really meant for the people who wants to use it on the race track or on a open and winding road. Otherwise you will be using only half of its potential, which is the SI. For $46K I would rather get the SI for myself and the hatchback for my daughter.
Despite my boyish dreams, I've never been on a race track and probably never will be. I respect the Type R for what it is (only at $35K, though) - it's reasonably fast, handles very well for a FWD, turns heads, and looks "cool". One thing that turned me off of the Type R really quick (aside from the price gouging) was spending $1,600 on a new set of tires every 10K miles. My crystal ball says that tires are going to be an unpleasant and unplanned surprise for those who will be daily driving their Type R - at least until or unless some all-season tires become available in the Type R's size, but such a tire is counter to the primary purpose of a Type R. If you're going to cripple a high-performance vehicle with an all-season tire, you might as well buy an Si which is exactly what I did - it's 80% as fun on public roads at 50% of the price. If I were to end up with a Type R, it would be an additional vehicle for occasional use and definitely not my daily driver, but I can't bring myself to buy a car like a Type R only to have it sit in the garage most of the time and it's just not economical as a daily driver.
Sponsored

Last edited: