Finally official: Turbo EX-T gets manual transmission (sedan and coupe)

comptonx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
I know this has been tossed around earlier, but now the Honda News site has the official breakdown. The EX-T now gets manual transmission option.

Nice to see that we can get a manual with a few goodies.

http://hondanews.com/channels/honda...-extended-availability-of-manual-transmission

Oct 3, 2016 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Six-speed manual transmission joins the turbocharged Civic lineup, now standard on Sedan and Coupe EX-T trims
  • Civic is the best-selling compact car of 2016 with sales up 15.4% through August
Arriving in showrooms starting tomorrow, the Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe aim to retain their position as members of the best-selling compact car nameplate in America with the expanded application of manual transmissions for the 2017 model year. Building on the fun-to-drive character of the 10th-generation Civic lineup, the 2017 Civic offers customers more choice with a 6-speed manual transmission as standard equipment on the turbocharged Civic Sedan and Coupe in EX-T trims. The 2017 Honda Civic starts at a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $18,7401 for the Sedan and $19,1501 for the Coupe.

For 2017, the Honda Civic Sedan and Coupe EX-T now feature the sporty and engaging six-speed manual transmission paired with a 1.5-liter direct-injected and turbocharged DOHC engine producing a peak 174 hp and 167 lb.-ft. of torque2 – up 5 lb.-ft. compared to models equipped with the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). The CVT remains optional on turbocharged EX-T trims, while standard on EX-L and Touring. Civic EX Sedans also now add HD Radio™ and XM Satellite Radio®.

"This has been a tremendous year for Civic, starting with the Sedan and Coupe setting sales records and leading the compact segment," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "For 2017, we're thrilled to boost the Civic lineup by pairing the manual transmission with the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine – something we know our customers are very excited about."

Since the introduction of the 10th-generation last year, Civic has received numerous awards and accolades, including the 2016 North American Car of the Year for the Civic Sedan, and has earned the highest-available collision performance safety ratings from both NHTSA and IIHS with the addition of Honda Sensing™. The Civic has led the compact car segment in sales for nine of the past ten months and has been the most popular car in America with under 35 year olds in each of the past six years, with the exception of 2014, when Honda Accord was #13. Late last month, Honda added a sporty new Civic Hatchback variant to the lineup, with Civic Si and a radical new Civic Type-R joining next year.

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally official: Turbo EX-T gets manual transmission (sedan and coupe) Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 11.22.24 AM
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
LOL Sedan with CVT Turbos rated at 32/42/36 now and you hoes thought it was gonna go down hard like the hatch due to updated EPA regs.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
LOL Sedan with CVT Turbos rated at 32/42/36 now and you hoes thought it was gonna go down hard like the hatch due to updated EPA regs.
Someone pointed out the 2016 sedan was already using the new EPA rating. It's probably due to better aerodynamics than the hatch.

So what's the theory on why no EX-T manual hatch? Some say it means an Si hatch is coming, but we know an Si coupe is coming too, so it doesn't really explain that.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Someone pointed out the 2016 sedan was already using the new EPA rating. It's probably due to better aerodynamics than the hatch.
If that was the case I'm not surprised that they bumped it up. I do 90% city driving and I always do better than 31mpg (7.6l/100kms) if I'm not in the boost.

OP
OP

comptonx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
So what's the theory on why no EX-T manual hatch? Some say it means an Si hatch is coming, but we know an Si coupe is coming too, so it doesn't really explain that.
Yeah, the EX-T manual hatch would be my preference, but Si hatch would be nice...at least that is what I am hoping that it means.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So if i get EX-T 6MT sedan instead of Sport hatch I get:

heated seats & side mirrors
moonroof
Smart Entry & Push Botton Start
Variable intermittent wipers
Dual zone climate control
Dynamic rear view camera
Lanewatch
7" screen, 8 speaker 180W, Carplay, HD Radio etc
1.5A front charging USB port
Driver Information interface

You give up the hatchback, dual exhaust. Price is probably about the same, maybe slightly more for EX-T 6MT?

I prefer the look and utility of the hatch, but it's very tempting. Probably the moonroof is the deciding factor, I need the headroom.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today I learned: I am a ho.

Seriously didn't think it would go up, goddamn lmao

OP
OP

comptonx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
For me the heated seats and CarPlay are almost a must. Would love the utility of the hatch but not if its bare bones.
I have a very long highway commute and my old back needs heat.
The Civic is not a small car anymore....almost as large as our old Accord Sedan from a couple of generations ago, so it should be fine for highway cruising.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Country flag
There's a post here that supposedly came from Honda Motors that the 2017 Civic Sedan and the Coupe EX-T trim will finally have manual transmission availability for these trims. Does this mean finally we get to have a Touring with the led fronts and sunroof and leather and navigation with a manual transmission? So sick.... here is the link.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/33302143/...-extended-availability-of-manual-transmission

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
There's a post here that supposedly came from Honda Motors that the 2017 Civic Sedan and the Coupe EX-T trim will finally have manual transmission availability for these trims. Does this mean finally we get to have a Touring with the led fronts and sunroof and leather and navigation with a manual transmission? So sick.... here is the link.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/33302143/...-extended-availability-of-manual-transmission
it looks like the manual is only for the ex-t, not the touring

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is a dupe, but to answer your question, no, it's manual on EX-T, not EX-L or Touring.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For me the heated seats and CarPlay are almost a must. Would love the utility of the hatch but not if its bare bones.
I have a very long highway commute and my old back needs heat.
The Civic is not a small car anymore....almost as large as our old Accord Sedan from a couple of generations ago, so it should be fine for highway cruising.
You can take it to a shop and install heated seats or Carplay. I wish you could heat just the back, my ass gets too hot with heated seats before my back feels anything.

But yeah, the sedan trunk is pretty big, I could live with that trunk.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
So no sport trims on coupes and sedans like the hatch. I guess everything carries over 2016 to 2017 just addition of manual. So I guess what I am saying is black trim and cool exhaust is all si on sedan and coupe

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So if i get EX-T 6MT sedan instead of Sport hatch I get:

heated seats & side mirrors
moonroof
Smart Entry & Push Botton Start
Variable intermittent wipers
Dual zone climate control
Dynamic rear view camera
Lanewatch
7" screen, 8 speaker 180W, Carplay, HD Radio etc
1.5A front charging USB port
Driver Information interface

You give up the hatchback, dual exhaust. Price is probably about the same, maybe slightly more for EX-T 6MT?

I prefer the look and utility of the hatch, but it's very tempting. Probably the moonroof is the deciding factor, I need the headroom.
Did the 2016 EX-T not come with HD radio? I thought it did, interesting.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any tweaks/changes made to the coupe/sedan won't be reflected on these information sheets. I did hear that the 3rd brake light in the coupes would be fixed on the 2017s and heard during the hatch announcements that they would be using a different sub for the stereos... not sure if that is hatch specific or if it'll extend to the coupe/sedans to maybe help quality and lessen rattle complaints.
Sponsored