Country flag
Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Is it adb install of .apk files over USB? I was thinking the other night that might work

OP
OP

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
Is it adb install of .apk files over USB? I was thinking the other night that might work
Nope, had to edit the whitelist, but dirtyc0w exploit worked. The basic gist of it was to use the exploit found here https://github.com/timwr/CVE-2016-5195.
You'll get an error using it, but for some reason, it still works. From that, I was able to get a privelaged shell. After that, it was easy to find the whitelist (it's location is /data/data/whitelist-1.0.xml). After the whitelist was found you just use the same method as the pilot/accord.

OP
OP

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
Also @derbo904 it should just work fine. I believe all 16/17 civics use the same headunit.

Edit: sorry for the double post clicked quote by accident instead of edit.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Nope, had to edit the whitelist, but dirtyc0w exploit worked. The basic gist of it was to use the exploit found here https://github.com/timwr/CVE-2016-5195.
You'll get an error using it, but for some reason, it still works. From that, I was able to get a privelaged shell. After that, it was easy to find the whitelist (it's location is /data/data/whitelist-1.0.xml). After the whitelist was found you just use the same method as the pilot/accord.
Cool, I figured dirtyc0w would. That was such a big hole.

I actually can't think of any apps I'd want to put on mine. As a nerd, I just like knowing that it can be done lol

Although I should probably research what apps people are putting on their Pilots/etc. There are probably some things that are handy that I haven't even thought of.

OP
OP

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
Cool, I figured dirtyc0w would. That was such a big hole.

I actually can't think of any apps I'd want to put on mine. As a nerd, I just like knowing that it can be done lol

Although I should probably research what apps people are putting on their Pilots/etc. There are probably some things that are handy that I haven't even thought of.
Using the car's built in wifi I just connect it to my phone's hotspot. How I have it setup right now is I have spotify, waze, and torque. Spotify and Waze for obvious reason. Torque just because it looks cool just running while I drive haha.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Using the car's built in wifi I just connect it to my phone's hotspot. How I have it setup right now is I have spotify, waze, and torque. Spotify and Waze for obvious reason. Torque just because it looks cool just running while I drive haha.
Nice! How does the headunit have a GPS unit to use for Waze?

OP
OP

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
@derbo904
All the civic headunits come with build in GPS.

Here's a really rough tutorial:

Here's a rough tutorial, I'll make it much nicer once I get the chance.

Requirements:
An established ADB connection(Check my previous post here:http://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-establish-an-adb-connection-us-models.12479/)
Linux Distribution
Have ADB installed.
Have NDK installed (Make sure you have a PATH setup to it)
Dirtycow Exploit: (https://github.com/timwr/CVE-2016-5195)
Flashdrive formated in FAT32.

This process has to be done on Linux.

Pulling the White list:
1. So to startup just setup an ADB connection as shown in this post.

2. With the laptop hooked up to the car run the dirtycow exploit using the command "make root"
  • You should get an error, it will say something like I/O error (can't remember exactly what it was), ignore it and end the script using ctrl+c.
3. From here go into shell and use the command "run-as". You should get privileged shell(this is designated by the change from $ to #), allowing you to read/write files that require root.

4. From here on you want to copy whitelist-1.0.xml found into /data/data/ to /data/local/tmp.
  • This can be done using the command "cp /data/data/whitelist-1.0.xml /data/local/tmp"
  • Next modify the permission so you can pull it to your PC to edit using the command "chown shell:shell /data/local/tmp/whitelist-1.0.xml"
5. Type exit twice to leave shell, and use the command "adb pull /data/local/tmp/whitelist-1.0.xml /your/directory/here"

6. Make a backup of this file just for safety.

Editing the White List:
Now it start's getting a bit tricky. All item's in the whitelist follow a specific template:

1. As an example we'll be using Spotify. So the first thing you should get is an apk from here. Just a fair warning though, and Spotify version >5.9 has not worked for me.

2. Next add Spotify to our whitelist. Using the template above the spotify whitelist will look like this
  • You want to put the entry right between the previous final entry and </applicationLists>
    Honda Civic 10th gen FINALLY! CUSTOM APK INSTALLS (NA MODEL) W9FGJlr

3. Once the whitelist is edited, it's time to push it back using the following command: "adb push /your/location/whitelist-1.0.xml /data/local/tmp/whitelist-1.0.xml"

4. Now just replace the old whitelist with the updated one.
Start up shell in root again using run-as and use the following command: "cp /data/local/tmp/whitelist.xml /data/data/"

5. Now just exit back out of shell by typing exit twice and use "adb restart".

Installing APKs:
1. Put the apk on the root of the flash drive, and plug it into the USB underneath the cup holders.

2. Go to the app installer and you should be able to install it. (just a fair warning it is really slow)

Last edited:

mikealanni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Thanks man, that's cool. How we get the keystore code?

OP
OP

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
OP
OP

Deep

First Name
Deepam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Country flag
Hey so I was playing around with the head unit more, and it looks like the Honda navigation app is already on my car's whitelist even though I don't have it. I also have many of the navigation files already such as voices. So maybe if someone were to pull the apk we could just install it onto ours?
Honda Civic 10th gen FINALLY! CUSTOM APK INSTALLS (NA MODEL) upload_2017-6-24_11-49-0

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Thanks @Deep !! I don't have a USB-A to USB-A cable with me just yet. I'll have to order one.

What version of Waze are you running?

based on some googling, I'm assuming 3.99

Last edited: