Filmed: 2017 Civic Type R Exhaust Sounds (first production Type R in U.S.)

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
not to be the negative one here but walking in with that attitude on this car won't scare the dealer one bit... they would gladly let you walk on that car for chance to sell some products in finance to the next person on the list...

personally I am taking the tire protection package... since I work at a dealership with a body shop connected to it, sometimes there are misc screws and other bits on the garage floor... I've been lucky so far but I wouldn't risk being "screwed" (no pun intended lol)...
THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I could not agree with you more on this, being in sales the toughest conversation to have with a customer is the conversation when a customer comes in with some kind of issue (going to use the tire/wheel scenario because I think that its a great idea on this car) that they caused and want to have it covered by warranty. Then comes the awkward conversation of, "well did you purchase the wheel/tire protection warranty?" then it hits them that it would've been a good investment.

It doesn't happen often, but even on new cars things happen. I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money, by all means to each his own. I just know that with these tires costing as much as they do to replace, just having to use the warranty once would probably pay for itself. I'll be purchasing the tire/wheel protection as well as GAP. Haven't decided whether or not to lease or purchase, plus of the lease is the included GAP insurance.
Sponsored

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I could not agree with you more on this, being in sales the toughest conversation to have with a customer is the conversation when a customer comes in with some kind of issue (going to use the tire/wheel scenario because I think that its a great idea on this car) that they caused and want to have it covered by warranty. Then comes the awkward conversation of, "well did you purchase the wheel/tire protection warranty?" then it hits them that it would've been a good investment.

It doesn't happen often, but even on new cars things happen. I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money, by all means to each his own. I just know that with these tires costing as much as they do to replace, just having to use the warranty once would probably pay for itself. I'll be purchasing the tire/wheel protection as well as GAP. Haven't decided whether or not to lease or purchase, plus of the lease is the included GAP insurance.
If there is a lease program for this, I may just lease as well just to upgrade to the next one... Worse case, I could just do a lease buyout...

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
not to be the negative one here but walking in with that attitude on this car won't scare the dealer one bit... they would gladly let you walk on that car for chance to sell some products in finance to the next person on the list...

personally I am taking the tire protection package... since I work at a dealership with a body shop connected to it, sometimes there are misc screws and other bits on the garage floor... I've been lucky so far but I wouldn't risk being "screwed" (no pun intended lol)...

You'd be surprised how many people don't think like us with dealer badging lol... most people don't care that it's there and don't even ask to have it removed... granted, some people do, but they are the minority in that group...
Oh agreed. I'm not ever trying to scare the dealer as that would be arrogantly idiotic. I'm just not that important to them. None of us are. I just make it clear that the stupid up-sell stuff is a waste of both our time (time IS important for them) and they're better off leaving it for the next guy that will actually bite or not notice. When they aren't interested in working with me on my terms, I move on. No worries. Oh... and I never low-ball them. I always offer to buy at the going rate and I'm SUPER nice about all of it. I'm not there to argue, I'm there to make it fast and easy. I'm also just very clear on expectations. If I walked in with attitude, I wouldn't want to work with me either.

So far I've never had to walk as they've always agreed to work with me and with all the cars I've bought it was quick and easy for both of us. Now for the CTR it is going to be in high demand, so I obviously don't get to call the shots. I am still going to tell them what I want and if I have to wait, then I have to wait, but it isn't so special that I'm willing to put up with a bad experience or bad financial terms. I am still the customer. This is the one business where we as customers all seem to think it is fine to get a little screwed in the deal. I'm not sure why that is acceptable... and so it just isn't for me. I'd rather wait to get fair terms and a quick and easy purchase experience. It is a win-win for me and the dealer.

Sometimes people actually WANT the up-sell stuff, like extended warranties and such. That's your call for sure. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be a painful experience where you get talked into crap you don't want or need. It can be quick and easy. If the dealer realizes you know what is up, it is simply better for them to leave the BS for the guy that doesn't.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh agreed. I'm not ever trying to scare the dealer as that would be arrogantly idiotic. I'm just not that important to them. None of us are. I just make it clear that the stupid up-sell stuff is a waste of both our time (time IS important for them) and they're better off leaving it for the next guy that will actually bite or not notice. When they aren't interested in working with me on my terms, I move on. No worries. Oh... and I never low-ball them. I always offer to buy at the going rate and I'm SUPER nice about all of it. I'm not there to argue, I'm there to make it fast and easy. I'm also just very clear on expectations. If I walked in with attitude, I wouldn't want to work with me either.

So far I've never had to walk as they've always agreed to work with me and with all the cars I've bought it was quick and easy for both of us. Now for the CTR it is going to be in high demand, so I obviously don't get to call the shots. I am still going to tell them what I want and if I have to wait, then I have to wait, but it isn't so special that I'm willing to put up with a bad experience or bad financial terms. I am still the customer. This is the one business where we as customers all seem to think it is fine to get a little screwed in the deal. I'm not sure why that is acceptable... and so it just isn't for me. I'd rather wait to get fair terms and a quick and easy purchase experience. It is a win-win for me and the dealer.

Sometimes people actually WANT the up-sell stuff, like extended warranties and such. That's your call for sure. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be a painful experience where you get talked into crap you don't want or need. It can be quick and easy. If the dealer realizes you know what is up, it is simply better for them to leave the BS for the guy that doesn't.
Yeah, coming from the sales side of things, customers want it to be quick, easy, and painless but they walk in with mixed expectations usually... the fastest deal from "hello" to "congratulations on your new car, here are the keys" was about 45mins for me... customer walked in with a lease return, wanted to pay exactly the same, and wanted exactly the same car/colour... I basically sent it over to get washed from when he said hello lol... he was leaving in less than an hour with his new car...

that has been the only deal like that ever for me... most people want to come in like that but then little things change here and there and then the changes happen... on average for someone knowing everything they want, they could expect to be in and out in less than 2hrs but they slow the process down with what they expect... trust me, the salesperson wants nothing more than to spend as little time with you as possible to move on to the next deal... don't get me wrong, making a friend and lifetime customer is the best outcome for everyone but nobody wants to spend all day at a dealership lol...

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
I've always been curious about the tire protection package that you can buy. They always try to sell you 4 of them (one per tire I suppose), but how often would you have a catastrophic tire failure at all four corners? Can you simply purchase 1 tire protection plan to cover the most likely scenario where you have one tire fail?

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Yeah, coming from the sales side of things, customers want it to be quick, easy, and painless but they walk in with mixed expectations usually... the fastest deal from "hello" to "congratulations on your new car, here are the keys" was about 45mins for me... customer walked in with a lease return, wanted to pay exactly the same, and wanted exactly the same car/colour... I basically sent it over to get washed from when he said hello lol... he was leaving in less than an hour with his new car...

that has been the only deal like that ever for me... most people want to come in like that but then little things change here and there and then the changes happen... on average for someone knowing everything they want, they could expect to be in and out in less than 2hrs but they slow the process down with what they expect... trust me, the salesperson wants nothing more than to spend as little time with you as possible to move on to the next deal... don't get me wrong, making a friend and lifetime customer is the best outcome for everyone but nobody wants to spend all day at a dealership lol...
I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like. Most people are not car people so they have no idea what they want or what the process needs to be or could be if they were more prepared. I make sure everything is very clear before I ever even step foot on the lot. I'm not there to waste anyone's time with unrealistic expectations so I make sure we are all on the same page before I agree to buy and before I leave my house. It usually takes about an hour to 90 mins. I look it over. Drive it. They wash it while I sign everything and off I go. Once I actually did spend some time talking to the "finance person" just because she used to work at a local Porsche dealer and we talked Porsches for a while. I still didn't buy any of the up-sell stuff and she didn't try to sell me any of it.

Like I said, I try to make it really quick and easy for both of us. That's probably why I've never had a bad experience and never had a dealer not want to work with me on my terms. If when I got there I suddenly demanded a lower price than previously agreed, I would rightfully expect that things would take a long time as we had to renegotiate terms (and I would expect to be treated like a jerk along the way). I would be super dumb and hypocritical to do that though. If I'm nice and hold my word, then they will usually do the same.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
If there is a lease program for this, I may just lease as well just to upgrade to the next one... Worse case, I could just do a lease buyout...
Heck yeah. I'm leasing mine. With my downpayment, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be under $100/mo for this and that's a slammin' deal for me as it keeps more monthly income free to pay off higher interest debt, mortgage included.

Do all Honda dealers work the same in that you get the end of lease payoff up front?

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Heck yeah. I'm leasing mine. With my downpayment, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be under $100/mo for this and that's a slammin' deal for me as it keeps more monthly income free to pay off higher interest debt, mortgage included.

Do all Honda dealers work the same in that you get the end of lease payoff up front?
i'm leasing mine as well.. i don't see why they wouldn;t have a lease option.. now as of interest rate... who knows what it could be.. i am praying for 3.99% (Canada) but i think it might be 4.99... although the STi right now is 1.9% ...

for us the buy back is always included and u are given the option to buy it out... but not sure if u can do it at any time..i'm sure u can

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
i'm leasing mine as well.. i don't see why they wouldn;t have a lease option.. now as of interest rate... who knows what it could be.. i am praying for 3.99% (Canada) but i think it might be 4.99... although the STi right now is 1.9% ...

for us the buy back is always included and u are given the option to buy it out... but not sure if u can do it at any time..i'm sure u can
My Si was 2.9 and our Accord was 1.9 and that was used. I'd expect the TypeR to be 1.9 also because any more than that and I can probably shop rates down the road.

HondaFinancialServices.com and I can request my payoff pretty much any time of day. Not sure if I can buy out a lease any time I want, but I don't see why not. I guess that's how they'd value your car if you break-lease to trade up to new.
I can't see why they won't lease the car either. I'm pretty sure Honda Financial Services makes more money off leases than sales.

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
My Si was 2.9 and our Accord was 1.9 and that was used. I'd expect the TypeR to be 1.9 also because any more than that and I can probably shop rates down the road.

HondaFinancialServices.com and I can request my payoff pretty much any time of day. Not sure if I can buy out a lease any time I want, but I don't see why not. I guess that's how they'd value your car if you break-lease to trade up to new.
I can't see why they won't lease the car either. I'm pretty sure Honda Financial Services makes more money off leases than sales.
no idea how much % it's gonna be in Canada.... i know i'll get a 1% loyalty discount for owning a honda already... i just hope Honda prices is fairly and competatively...

STi In Canada is around MSRP $42K for sport model i think around $48K for Sport Tech

RELALY REALLY hoping for $42K CDN for the Type R @ 2.99%.. Honda Canada said low 40's... anything above 43K would be MID 40's haha
Sponsored