Faster Acceleration CVT Myxal Two-Step

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
***I am posting this since I hear a lot of frustration at how the CVT accelerates. I hope it will help some**

Updated 11/5/17.
Quick video of doing my 'Myxal Two-Step' from a roll, in a 2018 Honda Civic EX CVT. I just picked it up today and currently it is completely stock. More videos to come. I need to get more practice in to get this right.
2018 Honda Civic EX CVT (Myxal Two-Step)

I just wanted to get this out there since I passed this on to a some fellow Honda Fit owners that have the CVT. I called it the 'Myxal Two-Step' since I discovered it by mistake trying to overtake another vehicle. Other's have done it with good results. I gave it a name because...well....I don't know what it's called and searching for the technique on the internet didn't turn up any results.

This is what you can do to accelerate faster with a CVT transmission.
1) Mash gas pedal
**This is the important part.....timing**
2) Lift foot and mash pedal again. Do this 3-4x! You should be at max rpms.

When you first mash the gas pedal (Be it from a dead stop or travelling 60mph on the highway for example), the rpm needle will jump up quickly and settle. You do not want to lift your foot until the needle stops and settle again. When I say 'settle', it slows down. Like if you dropped a bag from a building into water. It's at a certain speed then it slows down. That effect! It usually takes about .5-1 second after you mash the gas pedal. After that, lift your foot and mash gas pedal again, up to 4X (or more if you choose).

With practice you'll get the feel for this and you should see your acceleration improve. You can do this technique in any gear (D, S or L if you car comes equipped). I've done this so many times, it is 2nd nature now and I no longer have to think about it.

Here are a couple of videos I posted. One shows the difference in my Honda Fit between simply mashing the gas pedal vs doing the Myxal Two-Step. The 2nd just shows general acceleration doing the Myxal Two-Step. Both videos I am stepping slightly slower than normal so you can actually hear when/how I am stepping. Normally (or while racing), I go a little quicker.

Normal vs Myxal Two-Step Acceleration

Honda Fit L Gear Acceleration

I hope this information helps anyone that may be frustrated with the initial acceleration in their CVT. I LOVE my CVT but have yet to try this on the Civic platform. I plan on making a few videos once I pick it up. I hope this works for you as well. Enjoy!

Edit: Random Info below..please disregard
Development of simulation approach for CVT tuning using dual level genetic algorithm
Sponsored

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It does seem faster, but my main concern would be damage or extra wear on the CVT belts.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: 11/5/17 Added a link to a quick video showing the effect of doing the Myxal Two-Step from a roll. More videos to come. I just picked up the car and need much more practice to get the feel on doing it on this platform. It also was pouring down rain during this quick test. See first post for video.

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
this method is pretty common thing to do with auto tranny... it doesn't always drop it to the lowest gear, you would have to let go and floor it again to force it. I have to do this on the crappy early ford escapes going up a hill on the highway

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 11/5/17
I am adding one last video of my Honda Fit CVT (N/A) that I just found on the internet hours ago. At least you can see acceleration from a dead stop from outside the car. It's not phenomenal but it gets the job done. Someone recorded me racing yet another Mustang. I will be adding videos of my Honda Civic EX CVT as I record them.

BTW: I was doing the Myxal Two-Step in this video in 'L' gear/mode. If you listen closely, you can hear the constant drone reach a peak just as I hit the 60ft mark. This is a useful technique in traffic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 11/8/17

I've sent both Ktuner and Vit an email to see if they are capable of tuning/changing the way the engine behaves so that when I fully mash the gas pedal, it does the 'Myxal Two-Step' automatically vs having to pump the gas pedal. I am looking to have this be automatic at say 90%+ throttle or whatever is deemed full throttle in this application. It would be great if it can be done. I'm willing to be a guinea pig and pay for this to be custom done. Not asking for it to be implemented on a Ktuner base tune or anything.

If possible, it should allow for much quicker acceleration and actually 'skip' over the midrange peak torque (which I don't need or want when going full throttle). Will see what their response is. Remember I'm using the word 'skip' lightly but it's the best way I can explain it.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 11/8/17

I've sent both Ktuner and Vit an email to see if they are capable of tuning/changing the way the engine behaves so that when I fully mash the gas pedal, it does the 'Myxal Two-Step' automatically vs having to pump the gas pedal. I am looking to have this be automatic at say 90%+ throttle or whatever is deemed full throttle in this application. It would be great if it can be done. I'm willing to be a guinea pig and pay for this to be custom done. Not asking for it to be implemented on a Ktuner base tune or anything.

If possible, it should allow for much quicker acceleration and actually 'skip' over the midrange peak torque (which I don't need or want when going full throttle). Will see what their response is. Remember I'm using the word 'skip' lightly but it's the best way I can explain it.
@Myx Awesome! Good to see someone looking into the CVT since that's what some of us are stuck with.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Myx Awesome! Good to see someone looking into the CVT since that's what some of us are stuck with.
Looks like I will have to continue to do this manually for now. Here's Ktuner's response to my email ~~~>
The CVT is controlled by a separate controller on the EX. I’m not sure if we’ll make them tunable considering how easy they are to mess up with the wrong settings.

Regards,
KTuner Support
www.KTuner.com

I did mention that I am willing to be a guinea pig if by chance he's willing to experiment with this. Fully aware that something could go wrong and possible damage. With no concerns of warranty. Even if I had to sign a disclaimer of sorts. Sometimes it takes things like this to make progress. The same thing like when working with him on the direct injection Honda Fit engine. Which turned out great.

So....that's all with this for now.

Lovic87

First Name
Lovic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Sport CVT '18 GTI SE 6MT
Country flag
Hoping VIT comes through somehow with the CVT, in the VAG world a lot of tuners offer DSG tunes as well as engine mapping, but I have no idea the complexity in comparison the CVT is to the VW DSG.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hoping VIT comes through somehow with the CVT, in the VAG world a lot of tuners offer DSG tunes as well as engine mapping, but I have no idea the complexity in comparison the CVT is to the VW DSG.
You never know. Subarus have XtremeRacingTuning. I am looking for something along those lines. Reprogramming the CVT ECU to peak at an rpm of your choice would be great. This would justify getting camshafts reground. Never did find out how my Deltacamshafts cam grind would've came out due to the CVT ECU being stuck at 6100rpm instead of 7000rpm. That would've been awesome and perfect for CVT.

Lovic87

First Name
Lovic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Sport CVT '18 GTI SE 6MT
Country flag
We got rid of a WRX CVT for the Sport, and while I personally dislike autos, I like that Subaru made the WRX CVT behave more like a traditional manual in regards to more flexibility with downshifting and not changing "gears" at redline. Also, a brake torque launch in the WRX held it at peak hp until you let off the throttle. (Which the Civic might do, I haven't launched the Civic due to worries of grenading the trans)

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Yeah my stepdad got a GTI DSG and its kinda making me jealous lol
Sponsored