Factory oil....

Paul H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring and 2015 Sonata GL
Country flag
Does the Touring 1.5 turbo come from the factory with 0w20 synthetic??
Thanks p
Sponsored

Randyparson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Yes it comes with Hondas "special" engine break in 0w-20 full synthetic oil. Honda claims this oil is specially tuned to break in your engine.

Honda recommends leaving this break in oil for atleast 3k miles, but I changed after 1.5k eith no problems!

OP
OP
Paul H

Paul H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring and 2015 Sonata GL
Country flag
Yes it comes with Hondas "special" engine break in 0w-20 full synthetic oil. Honda claims this oil is specially tuned to break in your engine.

Honda recommends leaving this break in oil for atleast 3k miles, but I changed after 1.5k eith no problems!
Thanks - the dealer didn't say anything about changing so I will ask.............Cheers p

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
My dealer told me that they WILL NOT change the factory oil unless the maintenance minder is telling them to do so.

You wouldn't have any problems yet since the engine is so new but that oil is meant to seep into rubber seals and gaskets around your engine to provide the proper lubrication/seal for the life of your car. Hopefully you won't have issues with it down the road.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah you definitely need to keep that break in oil in there til 15%. Absolutely no reason to change it out at 1500.

max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
Country flag
i always use the maintenance minder and my first oil change was at the 7k mark

Randyparson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
My dealer told me that they WILL NOT change the factory oil unless the maintenance minder is telling them to do so.

You wouldn't have any problems yet since the engine is so new but that oil is meant to seep into rubber seals and gaskets around your engine to provide the proper lubrication/seal for the life of your car. Hopefully you won't have issues with it down the road.
I don't think I will, Honda is the only manufacturer who uses special break in oil, all other companies have done just fine out the factory with no special oils.

Also I made the switch to Amsoil High Performance, which is arguably the best synthetic oil you can buy for a daily car.

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think I will, Honda is the only manufacturer who uses special break in oil, all other companies have done just fine out the factory with no special oils.

Also I made the switch to Amsoil High Performance, which is arguably the best synthetic oil you can buy for a daily car.
Why on earth would you do the exact opposite of what the car manufacturer tells you do to? They don't make more money by telling you to leave your break in oil longer, do they?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Why on earth would you do the exact opposite of what the car manufacturer tells you do to? They don't make more money by telling you to leave your break in oil longer, do they?
Oddly enough, that recommendation from Honda, and its allusion to a special "break-in" oil, disappeared from their web site somewhere in the last six months. There's a thread somewhere here (maybe this one?) with both the old version (courtesy of waybackmachine) and the new one.

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag

you can try to justify it anyway you want, but you HAVE to admit that was a very VERY bad decision on your part to change the break-in oil at 1,500 miles...

Yes, only Honda uses a special break in oil (I am not 100% sure on this) and other car manufacturers do not... This is why I always have and will buy Honda's, they are built to LAST and are engineered with precision not seen in American made cars.

Pensoil Full Synthetic > Amsoil
Nascar uses Pensoil, and with my history of aggressive driving and minor front end accidents (On a FWD car, in my case a 2008 Civic Coupe LX), and with 140,000 mile on the car...No money put into the life of the car except for regular maintenance. My 2008 Civic coupe LX would've lasted me 3-5 years easy with no problems... I thank that to the care of my car i.e. the type of engine Oil i use on oil changes and the simple fact that it is a Honda Civic... which again... are built to last!

and finally, Just admit your mistake and hope you have no problems within your warranty period, because I believe you voided it already by changing the break-in oil before it had time to do its job...

Good Luck!

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I dunno bout you guys but when the money hungry stealerships tell me that they WILL NOT change my oil until maintenance minder says to because of this special factory oil, I'm gonna listen.

Honda built these cars, they should know the best way to maintain them and if they say leave it, why wouldn't I? I won't pretend to know more about these cars and how to maintain them then the guys that actually designed and built them.

For example, youre at the hospital on an IV bc the doctor thinks you need it... You gonna ignore him and yank it out?

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I dunno bout you guys but when the money hungry stealerships tell me that they WILL NOT change my oil until maintenance minder says to because of this special factory oil, I'm gonna listen.

Honda built these cars, they should know the best way to maintain them and if they say leave it, why wouldn't I? I won't pretend to know more about these cars and how to maintain them then the guys that actually designed and built them.

For example, youre at the hospital on an IV bc the doctor thinks you need it... You gonna ignore him and yank it out?[

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
[/Q
It might be true you shouldn't swap the factory oil. However, we do know that dealers were swapping the oil (and were instructed to do so) on the piston ring recall. I believe the reason they changed the oil was just that it was easier to replace with new oil rather than save the factory oil and put it back in. They did not send factory oil to the dealerships. It did not void the warranty. This was done to many cars, even those that weren't sold yet.

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
you can try to justify it anyway you want, but you HAVE to admit that was a very VERY bad decision on your part to change the break-in oil at 1,500 miles...

Yes, only Honda uses a special break in oil (I am not 100% sure on this) and other car manufacturers do not... This is why I always have and will buy Honda's, they are built to LAST and are engineered with precision not seen in American made cars.

Pensoil Full Synthetic > Amsoil
Nascar uses Pensoil, and with my history of aggressive driving and minor front end accidents (On a FWD car, in my case a 2008 Civic Coupe LX), and with 140,000 mile on the car...No money put into the life of the car except for regular maintenance. My 2008 Civic coupe LX would've lasted me 3-5 years easy with no problems... I thank that to the care of my car i.e. the type of engine Oil i use on oil changes and the simple fact that it is a Honda Civic... which again... are built to last!

and finally, Just admit your mistake and hope you have no problems within your warranty period, because I believe you voided it already by changing the break-in oil before it had time to do its job...

Good Luck!
I don't think it voided the warranty because they swapped the oil on a lot of new cars for the piston ring recall.
Sponsored