EX Audio Build: Completed!

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
I bought my EX sense in January and it is my Mon-Fri commuter car. While the factory system isn't terrible I have never been one to be satisfied with stock audio. The goal of this system is to build it on a modest budget but with good quality components. I know "budget" not what most of us want to hear but adulting is hard sometimes.

A little background on me. I worked as a professional installer for over 16 years. I have built numerous car and home audio systems of various caliber. I now work as EE in consumer home electronics but audio is still a passion of mine.

The Gear: As I said this is a budget build so some of the gear will be from what I had laying around and some of it will be new.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX Audio Build: Completed! ima

5 channel amp- XR900-5
Front components- DSK165.3
Rear- Eliminator 6.5 pro drivers
Sub- JL 13TW5
Processor- Audiocontrol DQ-61
Cables/wires -what I have laying around

One of the biggest challenges most of us face is the source unit. The screen is cool but it is so integrated into the soul of the car, we are forced to keep it. That means we must also deal with with the sound it produces.

Factory speakers RTA 0db pink noise with factory EQ:
Honda Civic 10th gen EX Audio Build: Completed! image

0db pink noise with EQ off (flat)
Honda Civic 10th gen EX Audio Build: Completed! image

As you can see the factory EQ on setting flattens the response curve out a bit but it also kills lower Bass frequency. (I hope we can find a permanate EQ off solution someday).

In the meantime I am going to try and correct the signal output from the factory source with an Audio Control DQ-61 that I scored on the cheap. The DQ-61 has accubass restoration, EQ, time alignment, and a host of other features that made it my go to processor. There are other DSPs in the market that have truck loads more features but come at a premium $$$.

Time to build:
I want to maximize trunk space and functionality. So I am fiberglassing the sub into the passenger side wall.

Taped it off

Made a floor template

I have fiberglasses many times before but I wanted to try something new, UV resin! I have heard this stuff doesn't require mixing MEKP and has infinate work time until you apply UV light (Sun).

The verdict...this stuff is amazing!
I layed 2 layer in fraction of the time it used to take me. And I'm Old AF now.

Last edited:

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't it be easier to build a wood box to fit that little cubby? Don't know, just asking. Either way, good luck with it. I plan on putting a small amp and 8" sub in my rear dash. I'm not going to go crazy with it, I just want a little more bump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
Wouldn't it be easier to build a wood box to fit that little cubby?
I am all for easy but it would be more difficult to try to replicate the contours of the side wall out of wood. Additionally I need to maintain .80 ft3 of air space for the sub to play properly. I calculated the side wall at 1.15 ft3. Fiberglass was the most logical.

If you do decide to go the infinite baffle route (free air), I would recommend you try to get your hands on some Image Dynamic IDQ 8". They work extremely well in that configuration.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am all for easy but it would be more difficult to try to replicate the contours of the side wall out of wood. Additionally I need to maintain .80 ft3 s you do decide to go the infinite baffle route (free air), I would recommend you try to get your hands on some Image Dynamic IDQ 8". They work extremely well in that configuration.
I am all for easy but it would be more difficult to try to replicate the contours of the side wall out of wood. Additionally I need to maintain .80 ft3 of air space for the sub to play properly. I calculated the side wall at 1.15 ft3. Fiberglass was the most logical.

If you do decide to go the infinite baffle route (free air), I would recommend you try to get your hands on some Image Dynamic IDQ 8". They work extremely well in that configuration.
Ok. I wasnt sure, I've always used little wood sub enclosures. Thanks about the suggestion on the speaker. I'm not sure yet what im gonna do. I kinda wanna use the middle of the back dash, but it looks like the biggest I could fit in there would be a 6.5" subwoofer. That might still be okay, don't now. Maybe I'll just use one of those amplified bass tubes and mount it to the side or something. Be alot easier.

OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
I was able to finish and cure 4 layers, and pull the mold.

Now I can add several more layers and bracing outside of the car. That's all for this week.

OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
Memorial weekend got the best of me and I didn't get to accomplish as much as I wanted to.

All of the layers of glass are laid and I trimmed the enclosure to fit the car.

I also figured out how to secure to enclosure to the car so it doesn't slide around.
I pulled a plastics retaining clip from behind the box and pushed a bolt through the enclosure.

I then bracketed the inside of the box for strength.

I then made my mounting ring and determined placement so it would clear the trunk hinges when closed. I'm liking how this looks.

Now I have to get some fleece.

I decided to run my power wire from the battery. I have noticed several members questioning "how" to run the wire. While my way is certainly not the only way, this is what I preferred.

I have an automatic so I located where the clutch would go on a manual and drilled a hole in the sheet metal. This hole comes out in a void directly behind the battery.

I then used a rubber grommet to protect the wire.

I ran my wires to the engine bay. Made a bracket for my fuse holder and covered my wired in techflex and Tesa tape.

tuck4x4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Burgundy Night Pearl
Country flag
Yeahhh, so keep going, I want to find out how the Hertz' sound.

OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
Yeahhh, so keep going, I want to find out how the Hertz' sound.
I'm trying, lol. I'm hoping to get the speakers in this weekend.

OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
Now that the sub is in I need to get my speakers installed. This took much more time than I expected, but it turned out well.
Rear midbass drivers...just a little larger than stock ;) Its like a 6.5 sub.

A Honda speaker adapters would not work so I cut a little of the sheet metal to make them fit. Added to some sound deadener and they are installed. They actually sit lower than the stock speakers so I don't have to worry that they are hitting the rear deck when I start cranking on them.

Now the front components. I used the Hertz DSK165.3, the tweeter on these is extremely small but fit really well in stock locations.

Reusing the stock tweeter trim ring I mounted the Hertz tweeter trim flush. Like others on this forum I used hot glue to hold it into place and center it on the factory trim ring. Then used JB weld on a couple of spots on the back. I has been my experience that hot glue doesn't hold in the hot summer heat.

I have a limited amount of sound deadening so I had to use it where I would get the most benefit, mostly inside the door. I used Honda speaker mounts and soldered all my connections.

My only complaint about the Hertz speakers during install was the small wire that comes from the x-over network. It's like 22 gauge. I cut it short for the input and output of the woofer and soldered 16 gauge wire.

I also ran new wires into the doors. It is very easy to run speaker wire in the doors of this car! No molex plug, just a rubber boot. I pulled the rubber boot, fished a 3ft zip tie thought, taped my wire and pulled. Easy.

That's all for today. Still need to connect my processor and run wires to the amp.
Its taking me more time than I expected, but I'm slow and meticulous.

Last edited:

OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
Finished! And damn this thing sounds good.

I ran 9 wire from the deck to passengers seat for the DQ-61 signal. Then ran power and RCA from the DQ-61 to the drivers seat. The wires are all cleanly hidden under the carpet and along the trim.

Under the Passenger seat.

Driver's seat, the wires drop into the hole in carpet for rear AC vents. This make for a very clean install. The amp is mounted to with only two screws (rear) to a piece of wood under the carpet. This way I can still remove the rear floor mats.

Wiring to the rear speakers is also hidden.

As you can see the rear speakers are over sized 6.5 midbass drivers. I get ZERO rear deck rattle from these. I also feel if someone wanted to add some bass they could easily drop in some 6.5 subs, sound deaden the rear deck and add a small 2 channel amp. Just an idea.

I then placed the ARC control for my sub level and delay controls in the knockout blank on the left of the steering wheel. It took some work the fit it but it looks stock.
Honda Civic 10th gen EX Audio Build: Completed! hertz

Conclusion: This system rocks! The DQ-61 fixes all of the weird factory eq issues and provides clean signal to the amp. I have plenty of adjustment and it easy to get to from the driver's seat if I push the passenger seat forward.
(From drivers seat)

The midbass drivers in the rear fill nicely and give a nice warm kick in the mid FQ but I have been most impressed by the DSK165.3 Hertz Components. Vocals are smooth and clear. They blend well with the mid driver and have good midbass. I crossed them over at 70HZ with no problems. I have installed much more expensive components that don't sound as good as the Hertz DSK. I don't think you can beat them for the price. I will caution that the tweets need to be tamed, they can get bright quickly if you push the treble. The tweets also install easily into the factory locations.

The sub is buttery smooth but with a turn of the ARC it will hammer. Cabin gains from the trunk are good and very little rattle from the trunk lid. Overall this budget system turned out great.

Last edited:

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow! That sub is exactly what I wanted to do, but I don't have the fiberglass skills :( good job'

OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
Wow! That sub is exactly what I wanted to do, but I don't have the fiberglass skills :( good job'
Thanks. This car's trunk is pretty easy to mold if you wanted to try your hand at glassing and the left and right sides are almost mirror images of each other. That said its only a matter of time before there is a readily available custom sub enclosures for this car.

snowdog9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring MSM
Very cool.

I do have a question, though. Are those pre-amp signals being sent to the DQ61? I thought the DQ61 was looking for speaker level inputs.

OP
OP
sinewave

sinewave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIvic EX W/Sense
Country flag
Very cool.

I do have a question, though. Are those pre-amp signals being sent to the DQ61? I thought the DQ61 was looking for speaker level inputs.
The DQ-61 takes high level speaker inputs from the factory radio, EQs and shapes the signal, and then outputs it via RCA.
Sponsored