Engine tuning and warranty

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
It's safe to assume that flashing your car will immediately void your powertrain warranty.

However, how detectable is it to Honda dealers? Does the ECU just keep a flash count? I'm wondering if flashing back to stock before bringing in would potentially be safe unless the dealer had a reason to dig deeper where they'd almost certainly discover the flash counts.
Sponsored

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
It will only void your powertrain warranty if the flash CAUSES the failure.

So no, it's not safe to assume that.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I love how people love to talk about warranty fraud like it's no big deal.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If something major happens and they see that readiness is not set or that a reflash has happened recently, then they can decide to send the ECU to the manufacturer and they can pull more info that way if they so desire. People keep pulling the "if they can prove the reflash caused the failure" but how would you prove it didn't? The second you modify the factory computer settings you have basically voided your warranty on anything it controls from what I can see. Think about it this way, computer manufacturers put a sticker on the case when you buy a fully built system that says removal of this sticker/modifications will void warranty. Would you expect that a car manufacturers computers are any different?

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
If something major happens and they see that readiness is not set or that a reflash has happened recently, then they can decide to send the ECU to the manufacturer and they can pull more info that way if they so desire. People keep pulling the "if they can prove the reflash caused the failure" but how would you prove it didn't? The second you modify the factory computer settings you have basically voided your warranty on anything it controls from what I can see. Think about it this way, computer manufacturers put a sticker on the case when you buy a fully built system that says removal of this sticker/modifications will void warranty. Would you expect that a car manufacturers computers are any different?
Specifically if it was a known issue/common failure on non-modded engines. Like the porous blocks on the 8th gen 1.8l civics. That could require a full engine replacement, and would be the same failure on a modded or non-modded engine.

I'm sure there are tons of failures that could end up in a gray area, but there are some that would be clear one way or the other.

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I don't expect Honda to replace my drive train if i break it by modding, i wouldn't even try. I do however do want them to fix my wipers or starter if they go out. Even if im modded.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I don't expect Honda to replace my drive train if i break it by modding, i wouldn't even try. I do however do want them to fix my wipers or starter if they go out. Even if im modded.
Depending on what mods you have done, that may be some pretty high expectations in the stealers eyes.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too bad starters are only covered under the 3 yr/36k mile. Believe me I tried to pull that one when my starter went out on my 8th because you'd think it was covered under powertrain as it is attached to the engine. As for wipers those are wear items and never covered.

yht29

BOOST PATROL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP Sport, CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too bad starters are only covered under the 3 yr/36k mile. Believe me I tried to pull that one when my starter went out on my 8th because you'd think it was covered under powertrain as it is attached to the engine. As for wipers those are wear items and never covered.
I'm sure he means wiper motors that for some reason would fail within the year.

charlesrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.charlesrocketphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
IT manufactures have more reasons to put warranty stickers. every car owner opened their engine bay just once. but how many people coding their own drivers for macbook? besides that the sticker forbids you even from looking under the hood, not just modding. I haven't seen a warranty sticker on my hood, but there's one on your wifirouter. in USA, you don't need to prove tune caused the failure - they need to prove it did.
Sponsored