engine problem with brand new 2016 civic ex

windywalks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ex
Hello there,

Just need help as I couldn't find answer to my concern.

I bought a brand new car from a honda dealership - 2016 civic and when I drove for upto 5 kms in the same day, I got a warning on a dashboard saying that " Engine temperature too hot, stop driving when safe " and there was smoke all over inside the car. I took it to the dealership where they said that they will change it for a different car ( same model) which is going to take a week but in the meantime gave me a loaner vehicle.

Just wondering if the same thing happened to someone else and what sort of compensation I should ask for the inconvenience as I had too many problems with the dealership like the car was not ready for 3 days, I was going back and forth , took time off work, blah blah. I am not sure if it's the right forum to get some insight .

Please advise . Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Offering another new car off the bat is good compensation imo.
Sucks to hear about the other bad stuff for delivery. Doesn't hurt to ask for something like all weather floor mats or door side moldings...
I'm shocked this car passed the pre-delivery inspection by the techs...

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Any other compensation is going to come out of the dealer's pocket and you and I both know that an engine overheat isn't the dealer's fault. With that being said, I'd feel grateful and lucky that they're giving you a new unit right off the bat because in Canada, there's no lemon law and technically they're supposed to just diagnose and repair...

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Factory forgot to put in coolant? lol

No lemon laws aside, a car with 5km smoking is pretty much a guarantee for replacement.

As far as compensation goes, if you talk to the manager politely without acting entitled, you'll probably get some stuff from goodwill. If you feel you were treated unfairly get Honda corporate involved.

pgrimm856

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Hello there,

Just need help as I couldn't find answer to my concern.

I bought a brand new car from a honda dealership - 2016 civic and when I drove for upto 5 kms in the same day, I got a warning on a dashboard saying that " Engine temperature too hot, stop driving when safe " and there was smoke all over inside the car. I took it to the dealership where they said that they will change it for a different car ( same model) which is going to take a week but in the meantime gave me a loaner vehicle.

Just wondering if the same thing happened to someone else and what sort of compensation I should ask for the inconvenience as I had too many problems with the dealership like the car was not ready for 3 days, I was going back and forth , took time off work, blah blah. I am not sure if it's the right forum to get some insight .

Please advise . Thanks in advance.
Search for the forum : Canadians complain about No. American Car of the Year forum ;)
Sponsored