OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Knock off the scare mongering, there are no reported cases that I am aware of where the electronic parking brake activates while you are driving down the road let alone at 75 MPH.

The only issue with the electronic parking brake was if you turned off the car before the electronic parking brake finished setting while parked it would not complete the function and you would not have the parking brake activated.

That was cured with a software update that allows the electronic parking brake finish setting itself even after you have turned the car off so the brake will be set.

Your scare mongering does no one any good.
"scare mongering"? The electronic parking brake activating on its own is a pretty serious safety issue. It should not be ignored and costs zero to fix. The dealership told me they were not allowed to give me my car back until it gets fixed. That is how serious this is and I apologize for taking time out of my day to try and spread the word to help others.

I have been in a lot of car forums but it seems like this one has some juvenile characters. This is the type of response I would expect from a 20 year old. The strange thing is you are 55.

Last edited:

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
"scare mongering"? The electronic parking brake activating on its own is a pretty serious safety issue. It should not be ignored and costs zero to fix. The dealership told me they were not allowed to give me my car back until it gets fixed. That is how serious this is and I apologize for taking time out of my day to try and spread the word to help others.

I have been in a lot of car forums but it seems like this one has some juvenile characters. This is the type of response I would expect from a 20 year old. The strange thing is you are 55.
Again knock off the scare mongering, there are no reported issues with the electronic parking brake activating by itself while driving down the road including expressways. You are attempting to scare people into thinking there is a problem with the electric parking brake activating on its own when the fact is there are no reported problems of the electronic parking brake ever activating on its own while driving down the road.

The only documented issue with the electronic parking brake was if you turned off the car before the electronic parking brake was done setting the electronic parking brake would not complete the function, that was cured via a Honda software update that keeps power to the electronic parking brake until it has finished setting.

You can jump up and down and make false claims all you want but there are no reported issues with your bogus claim. You don't do anyone any good when you make up phony problems and run to an internet site and start telling people to get their car to Honda or your electronic parking brake might activate while you are traveling 75 MPH down the expressway.

You have never experienced the electronic parking brake activating on its own while you were driving down the road, instead you set it in your mind that this might happen when the facts say you are wrong. You have made up a nonexistent problem and now you are posting on forums like this one trying to convince everyone their electronic parking brake might activate while they are driving down the road, you are spreading a false issue/rumor with your unsubstantiated claim.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Again knock off the scare mongering, there are no reported issues with the electronic parking brake activating by itself while driving down the road including expressways. You are attempting to scare people into thinking there is a problem with the electric parking brake activating on its own when the fact is there are no reported problems of the electronic parking brake ever activating on its own while driving down the road.

The only documented issue with the electronic parking brake was if you turned off the car before the electronic parking brake was done setting the electronic parking brake would not complete the function, that was cured via a Honda software update that keeps power to the electronic parking brake until it has finished setting.

You can jump up and down and make false claims all you want but there are no reported issues with your bogus claim. You don't do anyone any good when you make up phony problems and run to an internet site and start telling people to get their car to Honda or your electronic parking brake might activate while you are traveling 75 MPH down the expressway.

You have never experienced the electronic parking brake activating on its own while you were driving down the road, instead you set it in your mind that this might happen when the facts say you are wrong. You have made up a nonexistent problem and now you are posting on forums like this one trying to convince everyone their electronic parking brake might activate while they are driving down the road, you are spreading a false issue/rumor with your unsubstantiated claim.
Let me say a few things...

1. I am going to send you a private message with my phone number. Please call me and tell me how I am causing panic and fear. Don't come on here and insult my intelligence. You can insult my intelligence in person and we can debate the subject all you want in person.

2. My parking brake did in fact activate on its own. This happened twice in the past 3 months. I never touched the parking brake. I went to start my car and it was automatically activated. You can see the picture I posted with the message I recieved. I can't tell you if it would activate on its own while driving. But I can tell you that the dealership told me it is possible and that is why they wouldn't let me take the car home without fixing the problem first. If you want the name of the dealership, you can call and argue with them. You can tell them they are scare mongers and they are spreading false rumors.

3. I am just trying to let people know that if they experience this problem, GET IT TAKEN CARE OF! DO NOT IGNORE IT. I see you are trying to defend Honda. Maybe it is because you work for Honda. I don't know why this is this such a big deal for you. But like I said, you can call me and you can debate this until you are blue in the face.. but it is what it is. And it is just a free software update that probably takes 10 minutes while you are getting your next oil change. So what the heck is your problem? And who even cares about your thoughts on this issue?

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
I am calling bull on your claim we are on page two and 22 posts into this thread and you have been called out on your bogus claim and now all of the sudden you want to claim you parking brake has activated all on its own multiple times, that was not your story in post one.

Further the software update by Honda on the parking brake is for the system to stay powered up long enough for the parking brake to set itself after you have turned off the ignition. There is no software update by Honda that I have seen that addresses the parking brake activating on its own while driving down the road, then again I did a google search and also found nothing of such a problem.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I am calling bull on your claim we are on page two and 22 posts into this thread and you have been called out on your bogus claim and now all of the sudden you want to claim you parking brake has activated all on its own multiple times, that was not your story in post one.

Further the software update by Honda on the parking brake is for the system to stay powered up long enough for the parking brake to set itself after you have turned off the ignition. There is no software update by Honda that I have seen that addresses the parking brake activating on its own while driving down the road, then again I did a google search and also found nothing of such a problem.
You are calling me a liar but I am telling you the truth. I swear to you the parking brake activated itself twice on its own. I even took the screen shot. I went right to the dealership on the second time it happened. They told me there was a code in the system and they did a software update to fix the problem. While the car was at the service center I went back to work and googled the issue. I actually find several people that claim to have experienced the same thing.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

Right here on this very forum. Several people say they started the car and the parking brake problem message came up with the parking brake engaged on its own. This is what happened to me twice with less than 5K miles on the car.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/electric-parking-brake-problem.2724/

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have issue releasing my parking brake.. My solution is to not using parking brake at all.
I have the same issue. Took it to the dealer, they said it was fine. So I video taped it not working about five times and it's going right back in :(

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have the same issue. Took it to the dealer, they said it was fine. So I video taped it not working about five times and it's going right back in :(
That is what I had to do. I went back and showed them the picture. They said they would read the computer. After examining the car, they told me they saw the codes. They did a software update. It has been a month and everything seems ok.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is what I had to do. I went back and showed them the picture. They said they would read the computer. After examining the car, they told me they saw the codes. They did a software update. It has been a month and everything seems ok.
It sounds to me like they really didn't even look at the issue in either of our cars the first time it went in. They didn't even look at one other issue it was there for and I got the same exact issue with a third problem they supposedly replaced a part with. I'm not having a lot of faith in this dealership after this.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
It sounds to me like they really didn't even look at the issue in either of our cars the first time it went in. They didn't even look at one other issue it was there for and I got the same exact issue with a third problem they supposedly replaced a part with. I'm not having a lot of faith in this dealership after this.
The first time I brought it in, they blew it off. I told them about it and they looked up my VIN and said my car was not on the list with a parking brake problem. I never left the car with them because I figured it was a waste of time. Then when it happened again I took a picture to prove I was having the issue. This time I went to a different service manager.

You may want to go back with the picture to prove it. Tell them to check and see if there are any codes. Or go to a different dealership. You may have had a bad technician. I may have gotten lucky with a good technician that knew what he was doing.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
I have a lowly 2016 LX, BUT have never had the slightest issue with the EPB. It sets when I tell it. It releases when I tell it. Never anything on it's own. Works under all circumstances : e.g. - engine running or off, any trans selection, etc. Just like the old days when it was manual. ( other stuff I like - no rain sensing but has intermittent setting, volume control knob with push on off, simple display albeit smaller but very adequate with no "Infotainment" ) Frills often mean trouble and you have to pay for them !
Sponsored