Electronic Parking Brake Problem

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Just letting everyone know I experienced this problem yesterday for the second time since owning the car. I would start up the car and get the error message. The brake light would flash at me. I even took a picture and video to show the dealership. I asked the dealership several times about this issue over the past 3 weeks and they told me my car was not part of the recall and all my software has been updated.

The lesson I learned.... NEVER believe the service manager. ALWAYS insist that the technician look at the car. When the technician examined my car, he found the error codes in the computer and performed the software update.

This is a major problem. You don't want the parking brake to malfunction as you are going 75 MPH down the highway. The dealership told me that once they diagnosed this particular issue, they were not allowed to give me the car back until after they fixed it. That is how serious it was. It is a good thing I was persistent and forced the technician to examine the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
If you ever see this message, bring the car in. The computer will save the code and you will need a software update.

Honda Civic 10th gen Electronic Parking Brake Problem IMG_3388.JPG

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just letting everyone know I experienced this problem yesterday for the second time since owning the car. I would start up the car and get the error message. The brake light would flash at me. I even took a picture and video to show the dealership. I asked the dealership several times about this issue over the past 3 weeks and they told me my car was not part of the recall and all my software has been updated.

The lesson I learned.... NEVER believe the service manager. ALWAYS insist that the technician look at the car. When the technician examined my car, he found the error codes in the computer and performed the software update.

This is a major problem. You don't want the parking brake to malfunction as you are going 75 MPH down the highway. The dealership told me that once they diagnosed this particular issue, they were not allowed to give me the car back until after they fixed it. That is how serious it was. It is a good thing I was persistent and forced the technician to examine the car.

Why would you engage the parking brake when you are going 75mph? Do you mean regular brake?

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Why would you engage the parking brake when you are going 75mph? Do you mean regular brake?
I wouldn't engage the parking break at 75 mph. I am saying there is a parking break malfunction that is common with our cars. You don't want it to accidentally activate while going 75 mph. So get it fixed.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
How prevalent is this issue? Is it something that is going to be an official recall on or?

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess what - the "parking brake" is also your "Emergency Brake"! (ref Owner's Manual p 518)
Well I know that but that would only be almost never used.... Since you would hope you keep your regular brakes in good condition. Now if the electronic parking brake could come on "randomly" that is a much more serious issue.

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
I've had this happen some mornings when I start my car up and either a rain storm had passed by or the dew was really heavy and this message would come on. I figured it was something about a sensor or mechanism getting too wet because the brake itself would function normally. I'll be sure to bring this up next time I get the oil changed.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I've had this happen some mornings when I start my car up and either a rain storm had passed by or the dew was really heavy and this message would come on. I figured it was something about a sensor or mechanism getting too wet because the brake itself would function normally. I'll be sure to bring this up next time I get the oil changed.
Bring up the issue. Have them fix it. It is a simple software update.

jbuckner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
What the poster is saying, I think, is if there is a problem with the parking brake system, which of course is electronic, the problem has the potential to engage at any time--like when driving at 75mph since it's not engaged simply by depressing/pulling a pedal/lever. I don't blame him for that concern.

I've not seen that issue in my vehicle (2016 EX), though I did experience the parking brake issue part of the recall and got that updated with fix.

It also doesn't mean that the poster's issue means a recall is in play. Though I am curious that if an update, as the poster said, fixed the problem, what that means since it does suggest the problem was not specific to his vehicle (i.e. No bad sensor or relay).

What year, model, trim? And do you know what "version" the system was prior to updating and what was updated to?

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
What the poster is saying, I think, is if there is a problem with the parking brake system, which of course is electronic, the problem has the potential to engage at any time--like when driving at 75mph since it's not engaged simply by depressing/pulling a pedal/lever. I don't blame him for that concern.

I've not seen that issue in my vehicle (2016 EX), though I did experience the parking brake issue part of the recall and got that updated with fix.

It also doesn't mean that the poster's issue means a recall is in play. Though I am curious that if an update, as the poster said, fixed the problem, what that means since it does suggest the problem was not specific to his vehicle (i.e. No bad sensor or relay).

What year, model, trim? And do you know what "version" the system was prior to updating and what was updated to?
That is exactly what I am saying. The dealership ran my vin and said my car was not part of the recall. Even thought my car was not part of the recall, I still needed the software update. I have a 2017 ex-l. I strongly suggest that if anyone sees the same error I got, go right to the dealership and insist the technician perform the update.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited

Knock off the scare mongering, there are no reported cases that I am aware of where the electronic parking brake activates while you are driving down the road let alone at 75 MPH.

The only issue with the electronic parking brake was if you turned off the car before the electronic parking brake finished setting while parked it would not complete the function and you would not have the parking brake activated.

That was cured with a software update that allows the electronic parking brake finish setting itself even after you have turned the car off so the brake will be set.

Your scare mongering does no one any good.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have issue releasing my parking brake.. My solution is to not using parking brake at all.
Strange to have a safety issue and ignore it. Stranger still in a "new car". BTW the "parking brake" activation while underway is a totally different sequence after you pull the lever/switch - it involves the VSA and all 4 wheels/disks, until you stop.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
Strange to have a safety issue and ignore it. Stranger still in a "new car". BTW the "parking brake" activation while underway is a totally different sequence after you pull the lever/switch - it involves the VSA and all 4 wheels/disks, until you stop.
Car is gone already... So I don't have to worry about those anymore.
Sponsored