Drew's CivicX Audio Adapter Project

transfer998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX (Civic #4)
I have had my '16 Civic EX Sedan for almost 10 months now, and I would probably have to say it's the best Civic I've driven/owned. However, one thing bugs me to no end, and that's the lack of 3.5mm audio. Honda's response was "it is obsolete", my rebuttal was "then why does the Ridgeline have it on ALL trims", confused them with that haha. I needed the AUX for my Sirius Starmate 8 so I had to find a solution.

So, I bought multiple BT transmitters and found one that works. SWEET!! Well sort of, it works yes but not ideal, I have to turn it on every time I turn my Civic on. This is annoying, as an HW/SW engineer I'm thinking how to make this better.

My first idea was to hack the transmitter to turn on when power is applied. Sounds good but that is boring. While driving I was playing some music off my phone via Bluetooth and hit skip on my steering wheel and it hit me. My Starmate can skip forward and back, why don’t I build my own BT transmitter that can control my Starmate too!

Looking at the problem there was not anything too complicated about it, audio is sent via BT to my Civic, and the Civic can send commands to the BT transmitter and relay it to the Starmate via IR. Next step is planning the project, I plan to do it in several phases.

Phase 1-Design

Phase 2-Develop

Phase 3-Test

Phase 4-Deploy

I am currently finishing up Phase 1, I have a design and know what I need. It will use 3 main parts: Microchip RN-52, Sparkfun Pro Micro 3.3 (Arduino), and an IR transmitter.

If people are interested I can continue this Post and include more details.
Sponsored