Does your infotainment unit REALLY refresh as scheduled?

Does your infotainment unit refresh as it is scheduled to do so (by default, every day at 2 AM)?

• Total voters

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
We all know the infotainment unit is less than stellar. One of the features it has is that it should refresh every day (by default, this is turned on and set for 2AM) unless the car is running at the time of refresh.

I have verified that mine is not refreshing, which would explain why so many us are having to do it manually to fix problems that arise over time.

To check to see if yours is really refreshing, you'll have to look at the uptime and see if it's been up only since the time of the last scheduled refresh, or if it has been up longer, suggesting that it did not refresh itself as it is supposed to do.

To do this, pull down from the top to get the pull down menu and hit the settings button, which looks similar to this (though without the blue):

Honda Civic 10th gen Does your infotainment unit REALLY refresh as scheduled? upload_2016-3-3_8-27-48

Click that and you will get a small pop up menu. Scroll all the way down to "About Tablet" and select
Look for "Status" near the top and select. The uptime is further down on the list - you will need to scroll again to find it.

Thanks, everyone. I want to see how many of our infotainment systems are doing this appropriately.
Sponsored

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Another way to test would be to set the reboot time to current time plus 5 mins, then wait 10 mins and see if it rebooted

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
We all know the infotainment unit is less than stellar. One of the features it has is that it should refresh every day (by default, this is turned on and set for 2AM) unless the car is running at the time of refresh.

I have verified that mine is not refreshing, which would explain why so many us are having to do it manually to fix problems that arise over time.

To check to see if yours is really refreshing, you'll have to look at the uptime and see if it's been up only since the time of the last scheduled refresh, or if it has been up longer, suggesting that it did not refresh itself as it is supposed to do.

To do this, pull down from the top to get the pull down menu and hit the settings button, which looks similar to this (though without the blue):

upload_2016-3-3_8-27-48.png

Click that and you will get a small pop up menu. Scroll all the way down to "About Tablet" and select
Look for "Status" near the top and select. The uptime is further down on the list - you will need to scroll again to find it.

Thanks, everyone. I want to see how many of our infotainment systems are doing this appropriately.
Mine said the uptime was 893:38:15

OP
OP
david1pro

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's quite some uptime, PS3... clearly not rebooting... for over a month!

OP
OP
david1pro

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another way to test would be to set the reboot time to current time plus 5 mins, then wait 10 mins and see if it rebooted
However, if it's been recently rebooted, it may successfully reboot early on, but as it's been used for longer, it may lose the ability to reboot over time. I'm hoping this experiment will reveal the car's natural habits according to it's supposed programming. My theory is that once it's been left sitting and the middle of the night comes, it has no clue it should reboot itself.

I'm curious as to what your experiment shows, though. Can it do it five minutes from when specifically told to? Please let us know if it works.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's quite some uptime, PS3... clearly not rebooting... for over a month!
Yes, I rebooted a month ago when things were hanging. I haven't had to do it since then. However, the car is set to reboot at 2am, and it clearly is not doing so.

maxboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring NBP
does the manual say anything about refresh/ reboot schdedule? i can't find the information regarding this.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Pretty pathetic that they felt they had to kludge in a "feature" to get around memory leaking crap code in their infotainment unit and the feature, in turn, doesn't work.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Pretty pathetic that they felt they had to kludge in a "feature" to get around memory leaking crap code in their infotainment unit and the feature, in turn, doesn't work.
Anyone actually surprised at this point?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Anyone actually surprised at this point?
After owning a '12 Focus with My Ford Touch, my expectation level starts out underwater.

OP
OP
david1pro

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agreed, 100 percent. I commented elsewhere that in regular old android, you need root access to get an app that restarts independently to work. I bet the "engineers" just built in an app they found somewhere not considering at all how Android works.

The issues that do happen seem to be memory leak related, at least in part. I use Aha a lot with Honda Link, and when I do, I can't go long between resets... usually just about 4 starts of the car until something doesn't work right. I may start the habit of forcing a restart when I pull in the garage for the evening. This car needs a lot of babying.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
The software devs were probably overruled by the bean counters. They had to have spent extra hours disabling features for non-NAV equipped cars (in-dash directions from AA/CP, compass, etc). Nevermind that there are memory leaks and performance issues galore.

Whimsey12000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring MSM
Country flag
Silly question but I wondered how it was going to reboot with no power?
Sponsored