Does the 2016 Honda Civic lock the doors itself when you leave the car?

CarsOverMotorcycles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Does the 2016 Honda Civic lock the doors itself when you leave the car? Do you have to manually press the lock button on your key after you exit the car every time, or does it lock all doors and the trunk itself?
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have push button start then you have walk away auto locks.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yes. It's an option in the settings. Use the infotainment system to find it.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Even when you have walk-away locking set, it doesn't always work. If you hear a single beep followed a couple of seconds later by another, the car is locked; if the system gets confused by where the fob is, it will emit a rapid series of beeps: in that case, just walk back to the handle and press the button to lock up.

There's another thread discussing this issue and the possible reasons this option doesn't work reliably.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Honda was my first car brand and probably my last!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
The best piece of advice I can give you if you use the walk-away lock feature is to exit your car slowly. I used to get out of my car and basically shut the door as I was walking away and this car does not like that. You need to shut your door and there just a second until the car beeps once then you can start walking away and it will beep again and lock. If you walk away too quickly like @DjinTonic said above it will emit a rapid series of beeps. When it does that I just press the button on the handle to lock it real fast! Other than that the system has worked perfectly for me, knock on wood!

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
The best piece of advice I can give you if you use the walk-away lock feature is to exit your car slowly. I used to get out of my car and basically shut the door as I was walking away and this car does not like that. You need to shut your door and there just a second until the car beeps once then you can start walking away and it will beep again and lock. If you walk away too quickly like @DjinTonic said above it will emit a rapid series of beeps. When it does that I just press the button on the handle to lock it real fast! Other than that the system has worked perfectly for me, knock on wood!
Its not based on remote engine start.. Ex and above have autolock.. Incase your getting a. Manual trans.. Wich wont have push button start i.e. my 17 ex-t sedan m/t

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
I may have found a workaround (not a fix). I don't seem to have the problem if I close the door and wait standing by the door until I hear first beep. It's when I start to walk away before hearing it that it sometimes fails. So I'm doing a "wait, then walk away" lock. :confused:

Yosemite Sam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I may have found a workaround (not a fix). I don't seem to have the problem if I close the door and wait standing by the door until I hear first beep. It's when I start to walk away before hearing it that it sometimes fails. So I'm doing a "wait, then walk away" lock. :confused:
That is exactly how it works. You can't start walking away until you hear the first beep. As soon as you hear it then you can start waking away!

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I've never had one malfunction or problem with the auto locks. They work every time with me just getting in and out normally.

Yosemite Sam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I've never had one malfunction or problem with the auto locks. They work every time with me just getting in and out normally.
They work fine for me, but I still can't just sprint away from the car. It isn't like I have to stand there and wait for the beep I just have to be a bit slower in closing the door and walking away. It hasn't bothered me one bit, love the feature!

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
To pipe in, it strangely depends on where the fob is as well.

Over the winter I bought a new jacket, and if I have the fob in the pocket of that one particular jacket, it never works. If I have it in my pants, or another jacket, it works fine all the time.

Apparently my new jacket shields radio frequencies lol

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
To pipe in, it strangely depends on where the fob is as well.

Over the winter I bought a new jacket, and if I have the fob in the pocket of that one particular jacket, it never works. If I have it in my pants, or another jacket, it works fine all the time.

Apparently my new jacket shields radio frequencies lol
Its likely lined with the shiny thermal blanket stuff.. Keeps you warm and ya shields radio

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Its likely lined with the shiny thermal blanket stuff.. Keeps you warm and ya shields radio
None that I can see, but it doesn't really matter. Just saying that there could be possibilities where the car isn't at fault haha.

Like if you have an aluminum foil purse, for example :p

Skeegle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 6MT
Its not based on remote engine start.. Ex and above have autolock.. Incase your getting a. Manual trans.. Wich wont have push button start i.e. my 17 ex-t sedan m/t
Wait so manual exts do NOT have this feature? Mine dies have push button and is manual... Just got it though so asking.

Enly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 350z
It does not lock the doors automatically for me. Perhaps because I have an european hatch. Played around in the settings, could not find it there either:/.. Where exactly is it in the settings?
Sponsored