do you fill up past full?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
when you fill up your tank and the pump stops do you keep adding gas as top up to fill completely up? I do this and usually add up to 4 liters of gas..it seems I can go up to 100 km more
Sponsored

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do 3 clicks anything after that will have gas spilling out

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do not. I've heard some have overflow issues without doing that.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I used to work at a gas station and if you kept adding more after the click you were just pushing fuel back into the hose and paying for nothing.

tpman24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT
I used to shoot for even numbers on the price for some reason, but I haven't done that for a very long time. I call it good when the pump stops.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
when you fill up your tank and the pump stops do you keep adding gas as top up to fill completely up? I do this and usually add up to 4 liters of gas..it seems I can go up to 100 km more
In some climates you can get away with this. It's pretty risky in hot summers. You pump cool gas from an underground tank and put it in a tank that's only a few inches above hot pavement (with the hot fuel pump inside the tank) and the thermal difference can easily be 50degF. Gasoline will expand 2.7% under those conditions. You have to leave room for the expansion or it will overflow and spill on the ground.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why?

Unless you're traveling and you know over filling up will be enough for you to make it to the next station I don't see the point.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
This is just stupid. In addition to the reasons listed above, overfilling the gas tank can cause liquid gas to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter, which is designed only for vaporr. Gas in the system can affect your car's performance by causing it to run poorly, and damage the engine.

There are reasons for the auto cut off at the pump.

hunterbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan
I keep things pretty simple. Just stick the nozzle in (no cap gas to fiddle with, yaaay!), squeeze it all the way, wait until it cuts off, put the nozzle back in the pump.

What's the best that could happen by "topping up"? I drive about 35 miles/day on average so an extra half gallon of top-up wouldn't even last me one more day before my next fillup.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
Why?

Unless you're traveling and you know over filling up will be enough for you to make it to the next station I don't see the point.

LOL. Costco gas prices!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This is just stupid. In addition to the reasons listed above, overfilling the gas tank can cause liquid gas to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter, which is designed only for vaporr. Gas in the system can affect your car's performance by causing it to run poorly, and damage the engine.

There are reasons for the auto cut off at the pump.
This. You should never continue to fill up once the pump clicks off.

Read this.

kmarkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I never do, first click and I’m done. Car is good enough on gas I don’t think the extra 50km is crucial. Plus I usually filled at about a quarter tank.

yyzcbphatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini CS
Vehicle Showcase
i usually fill up to 35 to 36L and i have about 40kms left on tanks I dont even let it click because i see gas spills out and into that small hole under it.

Anyone knows where does the overfilled gas goes to with that hole?

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The left-to-right tilt of the car when refueling can change the fill-up quantity by more than a gallon.

I recently refilled with the car tilting away fairly steeply from the fill port. I knew approximately how many gallons I needed based on the displayed mpg and the miles I'd driven since filling.

I ended up putting in about 1.5 gallons more than expected. I thought something was wrong with the pump meter. Something didn't seem right.

It took many more miles than normal for the fuel gauge needle to drop below full.

I must have got in every drop the tank would hold. Minimal air bubble in the tank.

Don't know why gas stations are allowed to have pump locations which are so far off level? I assumed there were government regulations.

----------------

"Anyone know where the overfilled gas goes to from that hole?"

Down a tube probably onto the ground.

See Part 47 in this drawing.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...ng-mss-cvt-ka-cvt/outer-panel-rear-panel.html

Last edited:

JMT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As soon as the pump stops you should remove the remove the nozzle and put it back on it's stand.
Sponsored