DIY: Tail light bulb changing

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of changing my turn signals to a white color and decided to do a small DIY guide. The reverse lights are pretty bright already so I might just leave those. This guide will be the same for the parking lights and reverse lights as well.

I installed the LED bulbs from my FRS just to see how it'd be and there will be hyperblinking. For my FRS I changed out the signal relay to make the signal work properly without the hyperblinking..I'm not sure what to do with the civic yet so I'm going to just go for Halogen white for now.

Turn Signal bulb : 7440

Remove these two screws holding the tail lights on.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Tail light bulb changing 20151230_125117

pull the taillight outwards (driver side-to the left. .passenger side-to the right) That should pull the plastic pins out from the body.

Picture of the bulb on (blinking)
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Tail light bulb changing 20151230_132227_002

Green harness - turn signal
Blue- Reverse lights
Black -tails

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Tail light bulb changing 20151230_132356

Attachments

Last edited:

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it legal to have white turn signals? I didn't think it was.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Is it legal to have white turn signals? I didn't think it was.
I don't think it's legal. Most states require Amber or Red. But I've had white turn signals in all of my own cars without trouble. If anything they can see the turn signals more clearly. :) :p do at own risk.

RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh Okay, that's what I thought.

Good guide though, I did my reverse lights. I like the color of leds :)

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
@2sol4u

Did you try to replace it with LED white/orange to see if it hyperblinks? If it does, any solution regarding that?

What are the specifications of the bulb?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
@2sol4u

Did you try to replace it with LED white/orange to see if it hyperblinks? If it does, any solution regarding that?

What are the specifications of the bulb?
Yes, it will hyperblink, I guarantee it despite not having done it because the car will send out a certain voltage to flash the incandescent bulb. The LEDs will take less power and will flash quicker to compensate for the given power. Shove some resistors in it and you should be fine. Flasher is integrated so don't bother trying to swap that.

slgta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX with HS
Country flag
Do we really have to unscrew and take out the whole light assembly? Can we not just get to the bulb behind the lining from the trunk?

jessgofffff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Do we really have to unscrew and take out the whole light assembly? Can we not just get to the bulb behind the lining from the trunk?
I'm not sure if that's possible. However, I just swapped my backup lights for LEDs the other day and unscrewing and removing the assembly only took a minute for each side, honestly it was super quick and easy. I changed both backup lights and replaced the assemblies in about 10 minutes tops.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did
I'm in the process of changing my turn signals to a white color and decided to do a small DIY guide. The reverse lights are pretty bright already so I might just leave those. This guide will be the same for the parking lights and reverse lights as well.

I installed the LED bulbs from my FRS just to see how it'd be and there will be hyperblinking. For my FRS I changed out the signal relay to make the signal work properly without the hyperblinking..I'm not sure what to do with the civic yet so I'm going to just go for Halogen white for now.

Turn Signal bulb : 7440

Remove these two screws holding the tail lights on.
20151230_125117.jpg

pull the taillight outwards (driver side-to the left. .passenger side-to the right) That should pull the plastic pins out from the body.

Picture of the bulb on (blinking)
20151230_132227_002.jpg

Green harness - turn signal
Blue- Reverse lights
Black -tails

20151230_132356.jpg
Did you get hyperblinking after changing your rear signal lights to LED? Thanks.

saminder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
The only way is to unscrew it and replace the bulbs. You can't change it behind the lining at it is all covered with the metal.

slgta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX with HS
Country flag
Anyone try adding resistor yet? How big of a resistor you use? Do you have to put a resistor to each of the blinker? Or just two of the four?
I did my Mazda3 5 years ago and only had to put resistor to the back blinkers.
Wonder if I can do the same for my 2016 Civic... but I would like to do it for the front blinkers this time (since the civic tail lights are not water tight against the car body, lots of water gets in between the light assembly and the car body ...in rain / car-wash).

Will I need a pair of 8ohm resistor? I have a pair of 6ohm but when I try to use those on my Mazda3, they don't have enough to stop the hyperflash. So I assume it will be the same for the Civic?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You can also find the wires that connect to the rear blinkers and trace them back into the body behind the trunk liner.

6 ohm's were enough for my Accord so I suspect they'll be alright for the Civic as well.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Posted this in the other thread as well, but I got my philips 7440 bulbs from ebay today, and they don't seem to fit into the sockets.

The plastic notches prevent them from going in all the way - do I just have to force it a little harder or did the seller send me wrong bulbs?

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Tail light bulb changing {filename}
Sponsored