First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brian, thanks for working on this and sharing.. so you were able to salvage the original vent garnish - and the backing/hex/mesh strips can be swapped? Sorry if I misunderstood.What was the cost at your body shop to remove replace and install, assuming you provided that universal hex vent?
We have lots of options - A) opening up the vents, adding a custom mesh pattern - see thread here:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/any-photoshoppers-hb-faux-vents.7463/#post-307255
B) rear bumper, possibly vented, C) rear bumper diffuser
You're welcome and thanks for reaching out. FYI - I plan to update first page with detailed instructions and images. But I'll try to answer your immediate questions here:
  • Yes, salvaged the OEM vent garnishes.
  • No, you can't swap. You have to cut the fake part out of OEM vent garnish with a dremel.
  • You have to purchase universal hex mesh (exact one I posted) and cut hex mesh with dremel. Very important to cut mesh vent perfectly horizontal. Cut to the shape of spot behind OEM garnish.
  • Autobody shop gave me an amazing price. Some shops aren't interested or charge lots of money cause it's custom. The shop I went to specializes in custom. But, I literally designed the entire conversion which made the shop's job easy. This is what the shop did...
    • Remove bumper
    • Cut holes in bumper (that I marked)
    • Hand sand and spray (flat black) behind hex vent and garnish (see in pics)
    • Spray OEM garnish frames high gloss black (no spray hex mesh)
    • Reapply rear bumper
This is an advanced DIY. The most complex part was designing it which I've already done. Though the margin of error is in millimeters. But, it's very possible to do entire job from home (not recommended).

I had autobody shop do some additional stuff. Like spray bottom rear bumper trim (above exhaust) same gloss black as vent garnishes. The charge for specifically listed above should be $200 - $300.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Your custom vents looks great, and you answered a lot of questions on page 4 as to how to remove it.
What about using a dremel through OEM panel, either 4 or 7 hole pattern, around the actual air vent hole? They would look tacky but functional. I'm also considering removing the 'garnish' vents entirely and somehow affixing a very fine mesh pattern (squared off below).
To confirm, the OEM vents allow zero air flow? I don't understand why they would do this if it had a negative effect on mileage and drag. I know nothing about aerodynamics was more concerned with particles being sucked in - I realise any open mesh vent won't filter anything but pebbles.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion upload_2017-11-2_22-23-51

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your custom vents looks great, and you answered a lot of questions on page 4 as to how to remove it.
What about using a dremel through OEM panel, either 4 or 7 hole pattern, around the actual air vent hole? They would look tacky but functional. I'm also considering removing the 'garnish' vents entirely and somehow affixing a very fine mesh pattern (squared off below).
To confirm, the OEM vents allow zero air flow? I don't understand why they would do this if it had a negative effect on mileage and drag. I know nothing about aerodynamics was more concerned with particles being sucked in.

upload_2017-11-2_22-23-51.png
To confirm, the OEM vents allow zero air flow? I don't understand why they would do this if it had a negative effect on mileage and drag. I know nothing about aerodynamics was more concerned with particles being sucked in - I realise any open mesh vent won't filter anything but pebbles.

upload_2017-11-2_22-23-51.png
Thanks Civic416. For cutting holes there are other tools that cut perfect holes. You can even find these tools at Home Depot. Yeah, there's a bunch of ways to go with conversion but I recommend doing what you like. Initially for me I just couldn't stand how fake they look but very happy now.

The Si has zero airflow through OEM vents. I did notice those holes behind garnish on hatch and don't understand the purpose. My opinion, don't worry as far as a negative impact from not having vents. Opening up the rear vents is really for competition racing.

I can now say, for a fact, after driving for months... Air is pumping through these vent holes. I live in CT where lots of leaves fall and my rear vents look like leaf blends right now.

You're right about concerns with damage from debris. So far mine are holding up great but debris hitting them is a concern. Yesterday I purchased RokBlokz to help prevent issues especially during snow. I think that's part of the reasons why Honda made them fake.

Last edited:

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Hopefully picking up my hatch tomorrow! Will swing by a body shop or my friends garage, remove the panel, cover the vent with something temporary -- and install a drop-in filter :)

I don't wanna seal or vent with a mesh pattern yet. Maybe a metal coffee filter, or duct tape. This hatch is so random I don't care

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully picking up my hatch tomorrow! Will swing by a body shop or my friends garage, remove the panel, cover the vent with something temporary -- and install a drop-in filter :)

I don't wanna seal or vent with a mesh pattern yet. Maybe a metal coffee filter, or duct tape. This hatch is so random I don't care
Share picks if you end up doing something! :thumbsup:

ModifiedTheory

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI x2
Great job! I'm a sucker for well thought out and executed diy projects like these. Might have to copy you and make it a weekend project. Thanks for the share!

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great job! I'm a sucker for well thought out and executed diy projects like these. Might have to copy you and make it a weekend project. Thanks for the share!
Thanks & welcome ModifiedTheory! Do it up, it’s a satisfying diy project. :thumbsup::headbang:

Boosted_si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Vehicle Showcase
It's fairly easy to remove the trim pieces. I removed mine with bumper on car. Get under bumper and unscrew 2 screws behind trim's reflector on each trim. There's also a clip there that needs to pressed and release too. Next I believe there are 7 or 8 strong clips that pop off. Clips are part of molded trim, outward facing, two on each side, except one side might have one. From front facing rear bumper you need to use a very thin spatula like tool to pop off from between the black trim and your bumper. I used a paint scrapper but it's very important to wrap the metal paint scrapper with a paper towel to prevent damage. Stick inside the crack on each side and gently move in attempt to release the trim. Once you locate the clips on each side you'll get how to do this but be careful. I've done this roughly 20 times on each side. If doesn't seem to be coming off, check rear clip I discussed earlier and press and push again once other clips released.

To be honest this project was pretty tricky but with some good engineering and some luck it came together perfect (fitting and fastening). There's a 1/4 inch gap between trim and bumper and the honeycomb grid is 1/4 inch thick. This made for a perfect fit and literally locks into place once factory bolts and clips are in place. I reinforced with epoxy on clips from the inside facing part of bumper but I almost consider epoxy optional.
Are are you able to remove the reflectors without removing the trim pieces? I know there’re two screws behind the trim are there any clips for the reflector?

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are are you able to remove the reflectors without removing the trim pieces? I know there’re two screws behind the trim are there any clips for the reflector?
Hi Boosted, you have to remove the trim in order to remove reflector if bumper is still on car.

Last edited:

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Just ordered my ABS plastic and have a spare bumper already painted. This will be my next up coming project.

Boosted_si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Boosted, Yes, actually you have to remove reflector in order to remove trim. After removing the two screws there is a clip that you must firmly press with thumb and reflector will pop out. This is a picture of rear (inside) bumper and you can see black clip.

View attachment 82624
Thanks. Not sure why I’m having such a hard time getting out. I’ve been pushing on the clip but the reflector just doesn’t want to come out.
Sponsored