T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Thank you and everyone for the great feedback. No, it will not accelerate rust because they're already exposed through undercarriage and treated. The concern is vents are directly behind rear tires. Pontential rocks, ice chunks, debris could kick up into vents. My autobody guy made great point to get mud flaps/splash guards to prevent this. After I said "so these vents are active" he laughed and said "Yes, they are." Design required a focus on reinforcement and preventing high resistance contact. I'm proud to say it miraculously feels like OEM quality. It's best for summer and weekend warriors but with flaps I'm not worried. I live in US with heavy snowfall but only drive when plowed. Chemicals plows drop eat away cars like acid so it's priority to get under car wash with Rustoleum Rust Preventor frequently.

Welcome, yes very strong and high quality. I recall it being 1/4 inch thick ABS plastic with a firm flex.

Each OEM vent frame still contains factory 2 bolts and 7 strong molded clips that securely locks abs mesh into place. I also reinforced everything with epoxy glue. It won't easily break and mesh would trash hand. But sure if something was to hit it hard it could break or get damaged.
I just realized that my Si came with mud guards

Is this a dealer installed option?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any plans for the front vents?
No, because it's my daily driver and I live in the northeast with heavy snow winters. If she ever becomes a weekend sports car, project race, or track car it would be a mod I do. I feel there's more to consider with opening up the fronts but would be badass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I might do something like this for my front vent, after installing PRL's cold air intake.
Do it! Post picks
Currently $69.60 + shipping at College Hills. That's where I bought mine.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08P00-TBF-100.html
Nice, got mine from local Honda dealership with next day delivery. I called three dealerships (2 in CT and 1 in CA) and they all had similar price I paid. But, you can't beat online prices.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
08P00-TBF-100 splash guards is the right part. It comes with 2 sets of hardware but no instructions. Online and Honda dealer has instructions. You do have to set a hole in rear wheel well with simple push pin for the tapping screw. I will prob post pic once complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

Divisi0n

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Grey Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
How easily do the plastic trim pieces come off to install the grid? and how did you go about fastening it to the pieces?

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

OP
OP
Brian17Si

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How easily do the plastic trim pieces come off to install the grid? and how did you go about fastening it to the pieces?
It's fairly easy to remove the trim pieces. I removed mine with bumper on car. Get under bumper and unscrew 2 screws behind trim's reflector on each trim. There's also a clip there that needs to pressed and release too. Next I believe there are 7 or 8 strong clips that pop off. Clips are part of molded trim, outward facing, two on each side, except one side might have one. From front facing rear bumper you need to use a very thin spatula like tool to pop off from between the black trim and your bumper. I used a paint scrapper but it's very important to wrap the metal paint scrapper with a paper towel to prevent damage. Stick inside the crack on each side and gently move in attempt to release the trim. Once you locate the clips on each side you'll get how to do this but be careful. I've done this roughly 20 times on each side. If doesn't seem to be coming off, check rear clip I discussed earlier and press and push again once other clips released.

To be honest this project was pretty tricky but with some good engineering and some luck it came together perfect (fitting and fastening). There's a 1/4 inch gap between trim and bumper and the honeycomb grid is 1/4 inch thick. This made for a perfect fit and literally locks into place once factory bolts and clips are in place. I reinforced with epoxy on clips from the inside facing part of bumper but I almost consider epoxy optional.

Last edited:

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
Wahhh,

I always said, even if they made "real" vents that were useless, it would be better than faux vents.

You did it!

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ‘17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY rear bumper fake vent conversion 5DD10999-8405-4306-9C46-F1715A57D446
I believe this is a great mod! Congrats to you on making that first step in front of all of us. As to everyone talking about the drag and if it will effect anything, I found this picture to help show the effects in the rear of a vehicle. The light blue areas indicate a vacuum effect from air being unable to fill these pockets as you accelerate forward. These vacuum pockets create a pulling effect in the opposite direction of the car. With these vents being opened, there’s a great chance that air will be able to fill that pocket and basically make that vacuum disappear. It may not be seen completely if it’s only a daily driver, but if you plan on doing major hauls and take it on the strip. You may see the difference in your 1/4 mile times! Definitely will think about doing this as well!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
5DD10999-8405-4306-9C46-F1715A57D446.png
As to everyone talking about the drag and if it will effect anything, I found this picture to help show the effects in the rear of a vehicle. The light blue areas indicate a vacuum effect from air being unable to fill these pockets as you accelerate forward. These vacuum pockets create a pulling effect in the opposite direction of the car. With these vents being opened, there’s a great chance that air will be able to fill that pocket and basically make that vacuum disappear. It may not be seen completely if it’s only a daily driver, but if you plan on doing major hauls and take it on the strip. You may see the difference in your 1/4 mile times! Definitely will think about doing this as well!
Don't forget that these "voids" or "areas of vacuum" are sometimes intentional and beneficial. Think of pickup beds - driving with the tailgate down allows air to flow through the bed in a way it wasn't intended which actually increases drag. An area of vacuum or pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Sponsored