DIY: make center pocket light blue to match overhead ambient light

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
It bugged me that the light in the center storage pocket is white while the light coming from the overhead ambient LED is blue. It seemed even more out of place after I added the OEM console and footwell light kits, since their light is also blue.

This is really too simple for a DIY, but I'm writing it mainly to put the idea out there and to share the source of blue tint I found, after trying a few things, that gives a good color match:

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: make center pocket light blue to match overhead ambient light IMG_20160825_2317312
Here is a product link, item number 524104

It's only $8, and you can try it out by holding one corner of it in the pocket up against the white LED to make sure you're ok with it (it does dim the light some) and return it to the store if you're not.

I cut out a rectangle of it and attached it over the white LED with some double-sided foam tape (something like this):

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: make center pocket light blue to match overhead ambient light IMG_20160825_2331283
(click for larger)

It looks ugly, but you can't see it unless you get your head down by the shifter, so it's fine.

It's really hard to get a good picture in such dim light, but I tried:

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: make center pocket light blue to match overhead ambient light IMG_1531
(click for larger)

It does dim the light some, of course, but not too much for me, and I think the color match with the other blue ambient lights in my car is close enough that no one would suspect it didn't come from the factory like this.

Last edited: