derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
# DIY Si/CTR Rear Bar installation
This DIY is for those who wish to do a Si/CTR Rear stabilizer bar on a non-Si/CTR Civic.
Fitment has been confirmed on Coupes/Sedans/Hatches in the previous thread here: http://www.civicx.com/attachments/img_0036-png.40995/

##Disclaimer
This DIY is merely a reference guide for you from my experiences on my own personal car. Please follow this guide at your own risk. I am not responsible for any issues performed on your own car. Please also read through all of the guide before tackling it to ensure you know to expect.

##Bar diameters
16.5mm Civic Sedan/Hatch/Coupe
17.0mm Civic Sedan Touring
18.0mm Civic Si
20.5mm Civic Type R

##Boring Math
Boring math will tell you its not a linear increase when changing the diameter of a sway bar. It is up to you if you think 133% stiffer is necessary.

(new O.D. sway bar ^4th power) divided by ( old O.D. sway bar ^ 4th power) then subtract 1 and multiple by 100 gets you the percentage.

17 --> 18 will be 26% stiffer.
(18^4/17^4-1)*100
17 --> 21 is massive 133% stiffer.
(21^4/17^4-1)*100

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/Update BL-281.pdf
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 4.12.11 PM.png

## Parts Diagram for Reference
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Si or CTR Rear Stabilizer Bar on Normal Civic Sedan/Coupe/Hatch 0Jtz5Ejh

## Parts List:
Option 1 (CTR Bar)

Part No: 52300-TGH-A03 Required: 1
Part No: 52308-TGH-A00 Required: 2
Price: ~$varies (YMMV depending on location and where you buy it from)

Option 2 (Si Bar)
Part No: 52300-TBJ-A01 Required: 1
Reused the stock D Brackets from the stock bar.

Optional Parts (Accord Aluminum Endlinks) <--referenced here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-rear-sway-bar-installed-additional-info-for-you-guys.24961/
Part No: 52320-TLB-A0 Required: 2

## Tools:
2 Jackstands
1 Hydrualic Jack
12mm Socket + short extension or a Deep Socket 12mm
14mm wrench
14mm Short socket + Universal socket and extension
5mm Hex bit or 5mm Hex key
Ramps (optional for easier time to jack up)

## Torque Specs
#19 D brackets 28 ft/lbs
#16 Endlink nut 38 ft/lbs
#18 Endlink bolt 28 ft/lbs

## Install Time:
under 60 minutes

## Directions:
### Remove Original Bar

Raise the rear of the vehicle so that the rear wheels are off the ground
Undo the Endlink 12mm bolt on each side
Undo the D bracket 2x 12mm bolts on each side
Remove the D brackets to allow easier removal of the stabilizer bar
Once removed, insert 5mm allen wrench and 14mm box wrench to undo the endlink nut
Save the endlinks for the new bar
### Install new CTR Bar
Weave the CTR stabilizer bar into place
Attach the endlinks to the lower control arm and hand tighten the bottom endlink bolt.
Slide the endlink stud through the stabilizer bar and hand tighten the endlink nut on the bar
Attach the D brackets to the stabilizer bar and bolt the D brackets to the frame
Torque the D brackets to 28ft/lbs
Torque the Endlink bolt to 28ft/lbs
Torque the Endlink nut to 38ft/lbs
Double-check all bolts
Lower vehicle and test drive with some left to right sharp movements to induce lateral weight transfer
Go up driveways at an angle to verify no binding
Enjoy!

##Troubleshooting
### D bracket does not full lie flat on subframe during CTR bar install
Due to the bonded bushing, it may not 100% line up flat. I insert the lower D bracket bolts on both side and tighten until almost torqued. This moved the D bracket into place and allowed myself a small enough gap to thread in the top D bracket bolts.
### Clunking going up the driveway/lateral weight transfers
Double check the endlink nut torque! It may need to be tighter and require the hex key and a box wrench to tighten further. I had this problem myself and fixed it by tightening the endlink when it was loaded on the ground.
### Endlink to Sway bar nut is STUCK
Loosen the endlink nut while it is on the car still to save some energy unbolting it when it is off.

##Pictures
Top one is CTR, Bottom is Hatch EX
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Si or CTR Rear Stabilizer Bar on Normal Civic Sedan/Coupe/Hatch fpxkwslh-

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Si or CTR Rear Stabilizer Bar on Normal Civic Sedan/Coupe/Hatch 75Ivs2Zh

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Si or CTR Rear Stabilizer Bar on Normal Civic Sedan/Coupe/Hatch LnjBldqh

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Si or CTR Rear Stabilizer Bar on Normal Civic Sedan/Coupe/Hatch z6Cq61rh

## Initial Impressions
The larger rear bar improved initial turn-in and reduced the amount of input required to make the car rotate. Stability under mid to high-speed corner has also improved. The rear no longer gets upset under minor bumps and imperfections in the road during mid-corner. For the price, this is an amazing upgrade!

## Long-term Impressions for my commuter
As mentioned in the latter posts of this thread, there is a large increase in stiffness in the rear with the CTR that will promote more oversteer. In an emergency avoidance maneuver, it is possible to create an oversteer situation that would be higher risk than factory intended. Some may prefer the dartiness of the new found steering. I find it a little too much for the soft non-Si/CTR spring rates for myself. I think I will change to an Si Bar.
###Edit: 2018-06-02
The extra increase in oversteer is a bit much for me as I mention a few months ago and I don't really need it when I'm in traffic which is about 90% of my drive. I ended up removing it and returning it back to stock. It is a still great upgrade but be sure to test the limits of the car in a safe environment so you as a driver understand how the car will react with the 138% stiffer rear bar. I personally don't need it for my car.
####Edit: 2018-06-13
After a little over a week of driving stock again, I noticed the steering input has vastly increased due to the lack of rear bar now. The car has a larger tendency to understeer. It made the car a little more dull but more managable for a daily commuter. I still think this is a great mod when you pair it with better shocks/suspension to compliment it.

##Changelog
2017-09-06 v1.0 original post
2017-09-07 v1.1 updated the instructions, pictures, torque spec
2017-09-08 v1.2 Added Bar Diameters, Troubleshooting section, reference thread, edits to directions, disclaimer.
2017-10-11 v1.21 Added suggestion about endlink nut being hard to remove when off - Thanks SuXlife!
2018-01-06 v1.3 Added jackstands/hydraulic to the list of tools.
2018-04-24 v1.4 Added that Si bar part number, Long Term impressions, updated TL;DR.
2018-06-02 v1.5 Final Impressions as I remove it to be stock again.
2018-06-13 v1.51 Added Accord aluminun endlinks part number for those who wish to upgrade. Updated final impressions.
2018-07-13 v1.61 Added math and stiffness chart from Whiteline

Last edited:

Fryer45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T (sold) 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
Country flag
Yep you can definitely feel the difference. Did mine over a month ago. It's great mod for under $100 dollars :beer:

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Anyone have torque specs?

Fryer45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T (sold) 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
Country flag
No more than 25 to 30 Foot Lbs. I did mine at 30 Ft. lbs, no problems.

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
Great post...cant wait to get mine installed.

Mods should feature this since its so complete...part numbers all the way to driving impressions!

OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Great post...cant wait to get mine installed.

Mods should feature this since its so complete...part numbers all the way to driving impressions!
Thanks for the kind words. I updated the post again to post a little more of my troubleshooting experiences with some issues during the install.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I just did this but went with the civic SI 18mm bar.

SuXlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17CivicEXT
Country flag
For anyone that has done this... how the heck did you get the endlink nut loose? Whas it after the bar was removed or loosened before removing the bar?

SuXlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17CivicEXT
Country flag
For anyone that has done this... how the heck did you get the endlink nut loose? Whas it after the bar was removed or loosened before removing the bar?
---I ended up reinstalling the bar to break free the nuts--- maybe add that too :)

Streetkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura integra
Country flag
Thanks for the tips.. just to confirm, I will be able to do this in my garage with a jack and a couple jack stands?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Had this same issue. Was like it was put on by the hulk. I took the bar off the car with the endlinks attached and then took the endlink off with the bar on the ground. I'm not sure what the torque spec is/was but it was on tight.

Streetkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura integra
Country flag
Crap, planning to do this today but the rear jack point is already so high my jack maxes out before the wheels leave the ground.
Sponsored