Did you want the CVT, or settle for it?

Is it true that practically nobody wants a manual transmission?

• I want or bought the CVT. I don't want no steenkin manual.

Votes: 76 44.2%
  • I settled for the CVT because the 6MT wasn't offered in my trim choice.

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • I settled for the CVT because I didn't want to wait a long time to order a 6MT.

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • I want or bought a 6MT. I don't want no steenkin CVT.

Votes: 46 26.7%

• Total voters

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was hesitant about the CVT, being my first one. I am extremely happy with it. I really didn't want a manual either. Had enough of shifting on my early days.
Sponsored

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
for me it was man. or nuttin. my lx sedan 2.o was a better driver than my hatch, but the hatch is more fun. and better looking too. only reason i traded. why the hatch is more fun is the TQ in that turbo.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
When my wife and I were shopping for her civic she originally wanted a 6 speed and the only 6 speed that was available at that time was a black LX hatchback. Not until after she test drove a CVT sport touring did she fall in love with all the bells and whistles it had over the black LX. She was very hesitant with driving a CVT at first but after she drove it in stop and go traffic with the adaptive cruise control set she was sold. The sonic gray pearl is also what got her. :D Coming from a 2013 civic Si she's loving the boost and fuel economy her little 1.5t provides. Can't wait to reflash it lol ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Did you want the CVT, or settle for it? IMG_0855.JPG

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I like both transmission. I drove a stick through my first and second car. With the civic, I dont want to get myself a chance to modify it as my priority has changed. Besides, I want the comfort of not worrying about the gear shift after work when I am just tired..so CVT it is...

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
would accept nothing other than 6mt this time around, last time I wanted a 6MT I couldnt lave it (no 9th accord in WOP with 6MT... until the 16 or 17 sport... but I bought a 13!) so I settled for the cvt that time, NO MORE!

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
If you enjoy driving at all, there is no possible way that you accepted the CVT for any reason other than compromise

RG129

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
I purposely bought my Civic in a CVT to get rid of my 6MT Fit. I just can't deal with rush hour traffic in a manual anymore and the Fit had a horribly low armrest and weird shifter placement for me being 6'. After 3 years in the Fit, I developed funky neck/shoulder/back issues from sitting in that car for my commute.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I chose the CVT but do not really do a lot of freeway driving to really wring out the FE but yeah, chose the CVT. You hafta realize that I was using a Sc300 V6 which is the slow and slurpee one. (yeah I got burned on that one namely cause I didn't know about the V8 right away.) The Honda Sensing is another main reason too.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I said before I'm lazy to bother with Manual, if Tiptronic/Paddle Shifters wasn't available I would either look at a different make/model.

My Civic & Murano (has Tiptronic) are in S mode 95% of the time.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
I have a 6MT and I'm sure Honda wants to ditch the manual like a bad habit.

Really, if you put yourself in their position, having the manual in their line up is a nuisance.
For the 2017 models Honda actually increased the availability of manuals with the addition of the EXT. IMO, they didn't offer it in enough trims. (Put an order in for one the first day they were released and it took 3 months to get it but am really, really happy with the car.)
I also believe the 18 Accord is going to have more manuals available.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
All my Hondas have been manuals until this one.

I would have likely gotten a manual this time too but couldn't find one in my limited search.

After 12K miles I'm very happy with the CVT.

I'll never go back to a manual. I hadn't realized just how crude they are in comparison to a CVT.

I've had problems with the clutch master cylinders in two of my Hondas.

The smoothness of the clutch operation/engagement also deteriorates over time.

If you need the operator engagement of a manual you'll get many more thrills on a powerful motorcycle.

Manuals are rarer in cars for a reason. Modern technology has passed them by.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
All my Hondas have been manuals until this one.

I would have likely gotten a manual this time too but couldn't find one in my limited search.

After 12K miles I'm very happy with the CVT.

I'll never go back to a manual. I hadn't realized just how crude they are in comparison to a CVT.

I've had problems with the clutch master cylinders in two of my Hondas.

The smoothness of the clutch operation/engagement also deteriorates over time.

If you need the operator engagement of a manual you'll get many more thrills on a powerful motorcycle.

Manuals are rarer in cars for a reason. Modern technology has passed them by.
I understand much of what you said. I think there were two major points that led me to continue getting manuals. One. I keep my cars for a LONG time. Over 300,000 miles on my last civic. I am pretty sure no CVT will last that long. And the replacement of a CVT is VERY expensive to the point that you probably don't replace them. Just get a new car. Second. I have always gotten better mileage with manuals given my driving characteristics. I'm averaging over 50MPG on my 17 EXT with almost 15000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a CVT.

kmarkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I had to wait for my 6MT about 4 months, it was worth it in the end. Don’t think I’d enjoy the car nearly as much as I do with a CVT.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic, 2018 Elantra Sport
Country flag
I like the idea of a 6MT, but not sure I want to drive it in my commute, nor have I driven one before. The CVT we already have is alright, I don't drive it as much as my fiance, and she loves it.
Sponsored