Did Honda Kill The 2017 Civic Si?

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag

I told you so...... Funny beep machine @12min.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Good review and pretty much spot on from anyone who owned a previous gen Si. Honda deliberately kept this car tame in favor of driving purebred enthusiasts towards the CTR.

That said, it's still the best all-round Si to date. And a near-perfect car for the daily grind.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
I'm not sure why people think of the type r wasn't available that this new SI would come with an additional 50hp and a larger NA engine

Without the type r ...the si would most likely be the same thing

Eldorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm not sure why people think of the type r wasn't available that this new SI would come with an additional 50hp and a larger NA engine

Well, it might have come with the 2.0T from the Accord if there was no Type R. NA was out of the question: simply wouldn't meet fuel economy goals. But I'm happy with the 1.5

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
This is coming from the perspective of someone who has never owned an "Si", but has owned faster cars in the past.

I think Honda has done a great job with the trim options for the Civic, for a couple of reasons.

1. EPA, and moreover, the consumer in general, is incredibly hung up on fuel efficiency. Overall, most manufacturers today are investing heavily into their electric/hybrid assets and/or shifting over to them completely. Outside of a few select markets, all auto makers today are going to either go low displacement FI, hybrid, or electric. The writing on the wall has been there for quite a while. Given this, the 1.5L makes a lot of sense and also should not really have been a surprise to be used in the Si.

2. The demographic for the Si has either grown up (in which case they will want/be able to afford the Type R), are much younger (in which case a fast high performing car is probably NOT something daddy is going to buy their kid fresh out of high school), or are older and want a fun car that handles great and doesn't cost a lot of money, but also can fit the kids in the back (of which I am the latter group).

Originally for me, I did not intend on getting the Si. I went to the dealer looking at the Accord Sport in a 6 speed. That model costs more and comes with less features. Its also very much a land yacht, at least in comparison to the Si.

I took the Accord Sport on a test drive, and the interior felt...okay. Stereo was terrible, seats lacked bolstering, no moonroof and no "zing". The Accord Sport Special Edition felt great; however, apparently there were only 2 6 speeds in California and they were both over 400 miles away. Even so, the SE is about 4k more than the Si.

That said, I looked at the Si. It has great safety ratings, has ample USABLE power, handles GREAT, has a great shifting transmission (the clutch being a complaint of many; however, compared to the clutch in the Accord its still better), better fuel economy, and felt "peppy" and "zing" enough to make an econobox for $24k that fits the kids in the back to make driving fun again.

I then looked at a used Si, and test drove a 2015. I can see how people may like them for their "high end", but I can't see driving it around daily being as pleasant an experience as the Si. If you have to wring out the engine every time just to get good power, it's not going to be fun every day. Nor healthy for the car.

Ultimately, I ended up with the new Si because it had more features, better daily power, better handling, and better MPGs.

I suppose from the perspective of the "Enthusiast", the new Si might be a disappointment. But I think for most enthusiasts, they will either pay up to get the Type R, or just buy an older used car to turn into a project.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

I think most of this was addressed in the above posts. But I'll add that all manufacturers are moving towards turbocharging - including Toyota. Small displacement, forced induction powertrains are the cheapest & most reliable to way to meet the Fed's required fuel economy targets while addressing the power expectations of the common consumer.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
^ I expect other cars in this class will have smaller motors as well by 2020. (GTI, ST...)

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Lexus NX200 has one.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag