Decided to keep my 2006 Civic Si

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
All
After waiting anxiously for my 2017 Honda Civic Si (Black Sedan) to come in, I decided to keep my 2006 with 175,000 miles on it. Here are some of the reasons and a pic of my baby. This is my second Civic Si I have had with 175,000 miles or so on it. It has been the best and most loyal car I have ever had. I have had two Jag XKEs, an Austin Healy 3000, a Porsche 911s Cab (beautiful and awesome), and Audi RS6 an Audi RS4 Cabriolet among other cars. This Civic Si outperforms all of them in terms of everyday fun and long term relability, particulary since in only paid $24,700 or so for it with Navigaton. It has taken me on many memorable trips to Canada as well as a weather filled trip to the Kentucky Derby that lightly damaged the surface from intense hail. It even made it through Hurricane Matthew in the Virginia Beach area (some damage to sunroof and front windshield). However, after all that, I decided to keep it. I am an older more mature driver that never really used VTEC at high revs (maybe once or twice when I was pissed). Dont race it but drive it very aggressively all the time. Here is why I didnt like the 2017 not necessarily in order:

. 2017 felt cheap to me
. Couldnt feel the clutch at all
. NO OEM Navigation
. UGLY in person
. No exhaust sound to speak of
. No emotional attachment (cant blame Honda for that one)

Honda Civic 10th gen Decided to keep my 2006 Civic Si HondaCivic.JPG
Sponsored

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Pretty car.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
My 8th
Honda Civic 10th gen Decided to keep my 2006 Civic Si 2ihvujk

OP
OP

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Pretty car.
Kritz
Pretty wild that you should say that. I used to have a license plate that said PRTYCAR. My mother said those were my first two words (pretty car). Cops that stopped me used to ask if it said Party Car and I would always tell them NO, of course not officer. ha ha. Most others on my street and in towns I had never been in always said Party Car as well until I corrected them. My long passed mother knows what it really says. Ha Ha.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I traded it for a 11 WRX. I got another red sedan after that (15 SI) and now have a 17. I really enjoyed the smaller size of the 8th.

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I don't blame you for keeping the '06 my sister has a 2007 non si black coupe and boy is that a fun car to drive. Different feel than the new civic which I bought. If I found a good condition 06-07 si with low mileage i would buy in a heartbeat as a second daily car to enjoy.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
After waiting anxiously for my 2017 Honda Civic Si (Black Sedan) to come in, I decided to keep my 2006 with 175,000 miles on it.
Keeping your 2006 sounds like a financially and emotionally smart decision. I wish I could have an Si with the 2006's exterior and the 2017's interior, powertrain, and gadgets!

Your 2006 looks well cared-for. Enjoy it until it no longer becomes economical at which point it will have saved you enough cash to buy a Type R. :D

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I came from an 08' LX coupe (also in black) that I had no reason to get something new other other than wanting one. It had 48,600 miles (you're reading that correctly) when I turned it in. The only issue I had with it is the notorious Honda clear coat deterioration. I was looking at a hatch sport but after driving one it felt nearly identical (other than being CVT vs 5 speed) so I waited till the Si came out and my decision was made once I test drove it.

I can understand the reasoning for staying with it. I still love the styling of the 8th Gen and while I don't hate the 10th gen, it is a bit over the top with some models (Hatch, Si, Type-R).

Honda Civic 10th gen Decided to keep my 2006 Civic Si 08_17_Small

OP
OP

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Keeping your 2006 sounds like a financially and emotionally smart decision. I wish I could have an Si with the 2006's exterior and the 2017's interior, powertrain, and gadgets!

Your 2006 looks well cared-for. Enjoy it until it no longer becomes economical at which point it will have saved you enough cash to buy a Type R. :D
zroger73
I agree. I was thinking that Honda should have taken the 2006 and modernized it. Not sure how I felt about the loss of VTEC when I test drove the 2017 because I was so unimpressed with the feeling I had in it. I think the engine was the least of the issues I had. I do like physical knobs to adjust things like others have shared. The lack of a spare tire bothered me for a while as well. Ironically, I got a flat about a week ago on my 2006 Si. It was not a major deal since I was home when I found it Ended up purchasing a $20 portable inflation pump to get the car to NTB. It was totally flat. I suppose such a thing could happen in the middle of nowhere. I also HATE the lack of OEM Navigation, having gotten used to it and trusted it daily for 11 years. Honda is just stupid to remove it as an option.

OP
OP

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I came from an 08' LX coupe (also in black) that I had no reason to get something new other other than wanting one. It had 48,600 miles (you're reading that correctly) when I turned it in. The only issue I had with it is the notorious Honda clear coat deterioration. I was looking at a hatch sport but after driving one it felt nearly identical (other than being CVT vs 5 speed) so I waited till the Si came out and my decision was made once I test drove it.

I can understand the reasoning for staying with it. I still love the styling of the 8th Gen and while I don't hate the 10th gen, it is a bit over the top with some models (Hatch, Si, Type-R).

08_17_Small.jpg
mjdecker
I agree the styling of the 10th gen is over the top. A couple relatively minor adjustments would make it quite attractive. Removal of the center exhaust with the Porsche-like exhaust that another member posted would be quite attractive. Toning down the spoiler significantly would be a no brainer. Giving U.S. models the same options as Canadian models seems like another obvious change. I am disappointed to hear about the stereo sounding cheap as I thought I was missing out on something with my old one. Mine sounds pretty good for a 11 year old car. Keep in mind how advanced the 2006 Si was. I had a Navigation system and voice control for many functions in the car. Many other cars did not have the latter for many years, including my Audis.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is one reason that I don't want to sell my 2003 WRX for a newer one. The way that car drives compared to any new(er) car is completely different. I like to describe the driving experience in my 2003 WRX as "mechanical". I can feel everything. I feel the road through the steering and suspension. I can feel the brake feed back in the pedal. I can feel the power through the gas pedal (curse you drive-by-wire!).

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I can understand your points except for the "felt cheap" one. Coming from a 2007 SI myself which I still own. The interior of the 2017 is much better in terms of material quality, NVH and quietness. But each generation has its benefits IMO.

OP
OP

hjstrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I can understand your points except for the "felt cheap" one. Coming from a 2007 SI myself which I still own. The interior of the 2017 is much better in terms of material quality, NVH and quietness. But each generation has its benefits IMO.
perhaps I was a bit rushed in my judgement on the interior. I just know how I felt while in it. I also know I felt relieved to be back in my 2006. Perhaps it was more emotional than physical

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
perhaps I was a bit rushed in my judgement on the interior. I just know how I felt while in it. I also know I felt relieved to be back in my 2006. Perhaps it was more emotional than physical
a car shouldn't grow on you to be worth buying. I don't care what car it is, cars are too expensive for that kind of purchase and the market has tons of options.

Regardless of people will say here about their 17 Si, if you didn't love it, you made the correct decision for you - don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Enjoy that 06 Si. People will look back and reminisce over how great those 8th gen Si's 10 years later.
Sponsored