Dealers " test driving" your CTR's before delivery

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So as soon as the SI's hit dealers they were being "test driving" by dealers for reviews and what not. I for one am afraid of this very thing. The CTR if like the SI have a 1500 mile break in period. And we know with it being the type r new to America that dealers will be lead footing around in these once delivered, you know to "test". Last thing I want is my CTR to be reved and redlined around town before I get it. Or gunned around the lot by the employees having a little fun before the 1500 mile break in. When I bought my 2015 SI, it had 1.5 miles on it. Literally I rolled it to 2 miles on way off lot. Some how I doubt I'll get my R with less then a 100 from you know " testing". When these cars are reved up and redlined before break in period it can cause issues I really don't want to deal with later on because of some dealers fun.
Sponsored

Hungryhippo96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3, E92 M3, 991.2 GT3 (incoming)
Country flag
So as soon as the SI's hit dealers they were being "test driving" by dealers for reviews and what not. I for one am afraid of this very thing. The CTR if like the SI have a 1500 mile break in period. And we know with it being the type r new to America that dealers will be lead footing around in these once delivered, you know to "test". Last thing I want is my CTR to be reved and redlined around town before I get it. Or gunned around the lot by the employees having a little fun before the 1500 mile break in. When I bought my 2015 SI, it had 1.5 miles on it. Literally I rolled it to 2 miles on way off lot. Some how I doubt I'll get my R with less then a 100 from you know " testing". When these cars are reved up and redlined before break in period it can cause issues I really don't want to deal with later on because of some dealers fun.
Just tell your dealer or salesman don't test drive it? Honestly a trust thing at that point. I told my salesman. They I don't want anyone test driving it, whether it be the manager or any sales people. Of course it has to move for the PDI. I told them not to wash it and I'll be driving it to get gas with my salesman.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Most dealers are getting one, the one they are selling. Dont think there are demo models.
Ooh, didn't think of that. Then ya, definitely tell your salesperson that you don't want anyone driving it. And that you're expecting less than 2 miles on it on delivery, like your last car. The only think I'm not sure about is how far they drive it during the PDI.

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
Ooh, didn't think of that. Then ya, definitely tell your salesperson that you don't want anyone driving it. And that you're expecting less than 2 miles on it on delivery, like your last car. The only think I'm not sure about is how far they drive it during the PDI.
Typical PDI test drive is usually a couple of miles. Unless it's a Type R, then it's a couple of hundred miles at full throttle on two wheels, just to be sure everything really is ok (and no extra charge for this special treatment).
:drive:

I will be telling my dealer that I expect very low mileage (and not to wash it), just so there are no misunderstandings. It shouldn't be so much of a problem here in the UK though as I know for sure my dealer is going to get a demo car, as they told me they've already chosen one the same color as mine (PMM), so hopefully they'll get their fill of thrashing that one. I'm sure it's right though that there won't be many/any demo cars in North America, given that we know most dealers are only getting one or two and are selling those (apart from those dealers where it's going to the owner's son, being put in a museum, etc).

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Typical PDI test drive is usually a couple of miles. Unless it's a Type R, then it's a couple of hundred miles at full throttle on two wheels, just to be sure everything really is ok (and no extra charge for this special treatment).
:drive:

I will be telling my dealer that I expect very low mileage (and not to wash it), just so there are no misunderstandings. It shouldn't be so much of a problem here in the UK though as I know for sure my dealer is going to get a demo car, as they told me they've already chosen one the same color as mine (PMM), so hopefully they'll get their fill of thrashing that one. I'm sure it's right though that there won't be many/any demo cars in North America, given that we know most dealers are only getting one or two and are selling those (apart from those dealers where it's going to the owner's son, being put in a museum, etc).
Plus UK has has type r for years and a certain level of respect. Here in US it's new so people are gonna go nuts plus here it's a not my problem once sold attitude, so they really dont care to trash it a bit before selling it.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'll be sure to include this in the text of my transaction! It should have fewer than 5 miles, and ideally under 2 when you see it for the first time.

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
My Sport Hatch had 4.5miles on it and it was directly off the truck, to the detail shop, then to me.

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
Have the salesman call you the minute the transportion truck shows up and freaking get there and see it being unloaded and have no one joy ride it.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why? It's a valid concern, if I were paying MSRP + ADM + waiting months to get a car fresh off the truck I would be PISSED if I came in and it had 50 miles on it.
Exactly my point. It's not even the mileage so much but you know they are gonna be hard on a new engine. That might cause issues later on and then it's your problem.
Sponsored