CVT Issues At High Speeds

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I have a 2016 civic ex-t in white orchid pearl..loving the car except for this one issue.

At higher speeds on the freeway in Drive mode, the car gets jerky... Usually it starts at about 75mph but its most noticeable at 80mph+, while maintaining the same speed. If I accelerate it goes away, and if I go down below 75 it goes away. It jerks pretty badly at any speed above 80. I've tried maintaining 90mph in Drive and the jerking just doesn't feel safe

It has to be the transmission because get this, if I shift it into Sport mode, the jerking is completely gone. I can maintain 80, 85, 90mph and the ride is completely smooth in Sport. But in Drive mode it jerks.

this can't be normal right? Has anyone else had this problem? Other than this the car rides smooth in Drive at any speed below 75...

btw my car only has 1200 miles
Sponsored

Last edited:

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I described mine as jerkiness more than surging, but both seem to be solved by the battery reset. Mine started getting jerky at higher speeds (though a bit slower than you - anything over 60?) at around 1500 miles. At 1750ish, I did the battery disconnect when I got home one night and the next day - smooth as silk travels.

Peter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My 16 civic touring have the same problem. Do we have any solution for this or should we bring it back to dealer for check? I feel jerky when i keep same speed at 70 or faster.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the identical problem on my 2016 Honda Accord EX.
They probably use the same CVT, or maybe the same control software then. Are there others like yourself on any accord forums that are reporting this as well?

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
According to this video, it is the Accord CVT (approx 1:25 in).

Don't believe everything that marketing videos tell you...lol

That said, I don't see why it would be any different. Doesn't make much financial sense.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Honda sayeth:
Continuously Variable Transmission for 1.5L Turbo
Turbo Civic models offer a CVT that is an evolution of the CVT transmission that is offered in Accord 4-cylinder models. In this application, the transmission's final gear ratio is 4.69-percent taller than the Accord CVT on which it's based, to allow for lower engine rpm while cruising. A new generation of G-Design shift logic aids acceleration and has a more familiar driving feel. A new turbine twin-damper design for the torque converter provides tighter control and helps reduce turbocharger lag as the vehicle accelerates.

OP
OP

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I described mine as jerkiness more than surging, but both seem to be solved by the battery reset. Mine started getting jerky at higher speeds (though a bit slower than you - anything over 60?) at around 1500 miles. At 1750ish, I did the battery disconnect when I got home one night and the next day - smooth as silk travels.
I just read all of that other thread he linked above, I guess I'll just take it to Honda on my day off and hope that enough people complain about this to get a permanent fix...at least mine is only at higher speeds in Drive. Did yours run smooth in sport mode?

OP
OP

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
My 16 civic touring have the same problem. Do we have any solution for this or should we bring it back to dealer for check? I feel jerky when i keep same speed at 70 or faster.
Definitely take it to the dealer. Reading the other thread about this issue, everyones saying a battery reset is a short term fix but we need all owners of this 2016 civic to go back to Honda dealers so they are forced to find a permanant fix or something

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
I just read all of that other thread he linked above, I guess I'll just take it to Honda on my day off and hope that enough people complain about this to get a permanent fix...at least mine is only at higher speeds in Drive. Did yours run smooth in sport mode?
Good question ... don't stay in S long enough to notice but will try it once it starts acting up again. Just did the battery cable reset a 2nd time today so it should be smooth for a couple weeks.

OP
OP

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Good question ... don't stay in S long enough to notice but will try it once it starts acting up again. Just did the battery cable reset a 2nd time today so it should be smooth for a couple weeks.
Yeah man Sport is smooth while maintaining any speed for me.

So I don't understand why in Drive it likes to surge when I maintain about 2800+ rpm

dirkee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan with Sensing
Mine is smooth as silk at high speeds, but is quite jerky at 25 and under. Of course the dealer said it's normal, but it's the one thing keeping me from absolutely loving this car..

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
What are you doing when you feel the jerkiness? Mine "jerks" when I'm coasting to a stop, and then gently press the pedal again to go, but a lot of my other cars with traditional autos did that so it seems normal to me.

If you can elaborate a bit more on what you're doing specifically then it'd help us to see if we're all experiencing it or not?
Sponsored