CVT Fluid Change

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Dealer told me this morning that is says on the Honda website that I need to change my CVT fluid ('16 Sedan) every 30,000 miles, has anybody else seen this? I have a feeling the dealer is just trying to make $100 extra from me today. I've checked the owner's manual and website and I see nothing regarding this.

Thanks!
Sponsored

QCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord '17, CR-V '17
Country flag
Dealer told me this morning that is says on the Honda website that I need to change my CVT fluid ('16 Sedan) every 30,000 miles, has anybody else seen this? I have a feeling the dealer is just trying to make $100 extra from me today. I've checked the owner's manual and website and I see nothing regarding this.

Thanks!
Change it every 30K and thank the dealer for the reminder :)

From Honda Canada: https://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-services/maintenance-calculator

FineBottledWater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks!
The only thing I found on the manual is that if you have a lot of stop-and-go, you need to change it every 25,000 miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Fluid Change 2017 Civic Hatchback EX - Maintenance Minder Schedule

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's probably 30k for severe driving. Since its all baked into the Maintenance Minder there's no official guidance for mileage anymore, just when it throws up the code.

Whether or not you want to do it at 30k is up to you. Me, I trust the engineers and will use the Minder. Others here will say every 10k or every oil change.

People on the Accord forums generally had it come up between 50k to 60k

OP
OP

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
The only thing I found on the manual is that if you have a lot of stop-and-go, you need to change it every 25,000 miles.

2017 Civic Hatchback EX - Maintenance Minder Schedule.png
Thanks for the reply. I'm not seeing anything regarding stop-and-go, I just read the note regarding mountainous conditions. Not trying to argue, just looking for clarification, thanks!

FineBottledWater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I'm not seeing anything regarding stop-and-go, I just read the note regarding mountainous conditions. Not trying to argue, just looking for clarification, thanks!
You are right. I just glanced at it. :p

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I'll be doing mine every 10,000 or sooner AND changing to a real synthetic like Amsoil or RedLine, they both are FAR superior lubricants for the CVT than Honda could ever have made, as we all know Honda does NOT make their own fluids.......the lowest bidder that meets minimum spec does.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Will be doing mine around 20k since my daily commute is 100% stop and go.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interestingly enough 4 Nissan dealerships REFUSED to take my money, when I had my 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE. I was over 120k/km, I do drive aggressive so I was concerned but they all said the Nissan CVT fluid is "Lifetime" and there's NO NEED TO CHANGE IT UNLESS THE INDICATOR tells me.

I brought it with friends and even my supervisor at work, they all agree YOU'RE DOING MORE DAMAGE by changing it.

Is Nissan's CVT that much different from Honda?

I mention how I drive because my 2002 Acura RSX Premium, after I changed it (DIY) at 100k/km it was black & burned. In fact IIRC the suggested was 140k/km so I can't even imagine if I waited. Then again, it was an Automatic/SportShift.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Ya I don't buy that never change shenanigans from Nissan.. mine needs a change at 40kms. It's starting to be a little bit more rough to engage the torque converter. She's due. Change the fluid guys.

OP
OP

Jermany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I'll be doing mine every 10,000 or sooner AND changing to a real synthetic like Amsoil or RedLine, they both are FAR superior lubricants for the CVT than Honda could ever have made, as we all know Honda does NOT make their own fluids.......the lowest bidder that meets minimum spec does.
But 10K? I think that may be a little overkill, but it's your car so do what you will haha!

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
It will work out to probably once per year, worth it to me.
Sponsored