donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Because of Civic Type-R Honda dealers believe we are desperate for *any* stick shift Civic hatchback. There are virtually no available Civic Hatchback Sport Manuals in So. Cal., and the few that are they want to add on Type-R type markups (i.e. $5,000). That is ridiculous. The Type-R is a unique machine. The Civic Hatch is not that different from the Mazda 3 Hatch (which you can get in the top model unlike the Civic). It's however enough different that I did prefer the Civic. But I'm not willing for pay $26,000 for a $21,000 car. This just sucks. I read today that auto sales in the US are way down. Of course they are if there are (and I'm not kidding) 300 Civic Hatchbacks within several miles of me and not 1 with a manual transmission.
Sponsored

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'm glad I was able to secure my 6spd Hatch Sport back in April before the Si and Hype R came out, fresh off the truck. (Metro Honda Montclair, Ca btw) Even then the manager kept saying how rare the manual transmission was in the Hatchbacks.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took me about 6 weeks to find my 6MT Sport Hatch, this was before the Si was out. I ended up paying $21,300 OTD. Deals can be found, ADM on a Sport hatch is ridiculous.

mikeydon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Accord V6 6 Speed Manual FULL BOLT ONS/DYNO TUNED (305whp), 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
theres tons of them in NY and i got one 3k off msrp LOL. i opted for the cvt though because my other car is manual and its nice to drive an automatic every now and then. but my manual sport deal was the same as the cvt. i got it for 19.8k instead of around 23k

OP
OP

donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
FKSE7EN that is a hell of a coincidence. Spent 1/2 the day negotiating with them at Metro Honda, but they swore up and down theirs was the last Civic Hatch M/T in California and wouldn't part with it for less than $26k.

I think if I had moved a few months ago I'd have had a lot more luck. But I was first in line for a Civic Type-R at MSRP and I had to let that play out first. Turns out to have been a mistake. So I may be hauling around in a piece of junk for awhile and waiting for the 2018s.

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 C300, 14 corolla, 17 civic
Country flag
I think it's just a marketing tactic on honda' s behalf. Just a thought I have because I was gonna get a hatch sport mt thinking it had leather and nav options apparently here in the states it doesn't. I think one of our Canadian brothers mentioned they can get fully loaded MT hatches. So to co time my thought the type r and si are both two cars that only come manual and have all the cool toys and what not. I will be very honest I enjoy driving stick but I enjoy having all the cool toys and comfortable seating more. To be fair as a tiny bit of after thought I know I could have gotten leather seats done don't know if I could have done a nav/radio upgrade. But yeah that's why I think honda did it that way to get people to choose between all the goodies or MT or for the hatch guys shell out the extra money for the R, I think the Si is priced pretty nice.

BLK Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, 1960 Classic Mini w/B16B
So glad I got my 6MT Hatch, I had a loaner car EXT cvt sedan for 2 days, it was nothing compared to the Hatch manual. Hatch manual is by far more responsive. I paid msrp and so worth it to me.

FKSE7EN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HatchBack Sport 6MT
Country flag
@donald_s yea just hold off until u get one at msrp don't let yourself get played by dealer tactics.

BLK Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, 1960 Classic Mini w/B16B
Never pay over msrp. Dealers are already making money at that price.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Honda Canada doesn't allow the dealer to sell over msrp. Obviously American Honda Motor Co. does, but you'd have to be out of your mind or ridiculously rich to purchase a civic over msrp. Be patient and the hype WILL die down.

I heard people are paying upwards of $60k US for a CTR. Wow! I just called up my local dealer, they said I can have the next one that comes in, just have to put a $500 deposit and the cost is $42kcdn before tax and fees(which is msrp). That's about $32.5K usd. You impatient guys so desperate to get one of these cars NOW, look into purchasing from Canada.

OP
OP

donald_s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Civicmanic, I suspect they have a workaround even in Canada. I was negotiating with a dealer that would let me have the Civic Hatch M/T for $400 under MSRP. However, it had paint sealant, window tinting, an upgraded alarm and a protection package that probably cost the dealer $500 but they valued it at $3,800. So even with my 'discount' it was still $26k.

Last edited:

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Because of Civic Type-R Honda dealers believe we are desperate for *any* stick shift Civic hatchback. There are virtually no available Civic Hatchback Sport Manuals in So. Cal., and the few that are they want to add on Type-R type markups (i.e. $5,000). That is ridiculous. The Type-R is a unique machine. The Civic Hatch is not that different from the Mazda 3 Hatch (which you can get in the top model unlike the Civic). It's however enough different that I did prefer the Civic. But I'm not willing for pay $26,000 for a $21,000 car. This just sucks. I read today that auto sales in the US are way down. Of course they are if there are (and I'm not kidding) 300 Civic Hatchbacks within several miles of me and not 1 with a manual transmission.
Actually this condition is happening back in Dec 2016 when I got mine HB sport. There is just so few stick shift car inventory. Most dealer just dont want them.

I was talking to the salesman where we got our HRV. out of 400 car they have at the time, guess how many manual cars they have?

1. Just 1 of them.
And they got it because it is "extra" out of the load of shipment they receive.

Rondeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport touring
Come to Canada and buy a sport touring 6spd ;)
Or even our regular sport, as it comes with sensing and the 7" display

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 C300, 14 corolla, 17 civic
Country flag
Damn y'all are breaking my auto industry heart. That's crazy a civic hatch sport which is the base to the ST is like 21k and u guys are posting up like 26k that's insane. U might be able to fly to Jersey and still pick up a civic hatch sport for less than what your market is offering. But I definitely think Honda's Canadian market has it better as they can get a ST with manual transmission

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
There are virtually no available Civic Hatchback Sport Manuals in So. Cal., and the few that are they want to add on Type-R type markups (i.e. $5,000).

But I'm not willing for pay $26,000 for a $21,000 car.
Then don't - it's that simple. :)

The market will pay what the market will pay. A dealer can't force anyone to pay $26K for a $21K car. If the market won't pay $26K, then the price will come down until a willing and able buyer comes along.

As long as Type R buyers keep paying $5,000 - $25,000 ADM, dealers will continue to ask that much for them. The entire purpose for a dealership's existence is to make as much money as possible for the owner's and employees.

Supply and demand. Economics 101.

Getting angry with dealers over their asking prices or at manufacturers because they won't build what you want them to build is absolutely silly!

If you really want to show a dealer who's boss, don't give them your money!
Sponsored