CTR MSRP at $36,120 - RUMOR (Click Bait)

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Well now...this isn't a coincidence. Stupid click bait!

Honda Civic 10th gen CTR MSRP at $36,120 - RUMOR (Click Bait) IMG_8994.PNG
Sponsored

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
This reviewer says the price will start at around £30000. He gives a good general review but he's not a fan of the styling.

News directly from Honda says "mid $30,000". So does that mean around $30,500 or around $35,000? If they manage to preserve the current US/UK pricing dynamic, then it'd mean the former. Here's to hoping :)

OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
News directly from Honda says "mid $30,000". So does that mean around $30,500 or around $35,000? If they manage to preserve the current US/UK pricing dynamic, then it'd mean the former. Here's to hoping :)
$30,500 would be killer!

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
$30,500 would be killer!
Keep dreaming guys... Mid 30k would definitely mean 35 range lol. Even when I'm selling cars if I say mid anything it's right in the middle or higher (usually higher) Really wishful thinking ... my money is on 37,000 it's the first type R ever in the US you better believe they can and will charge. They will bank on it. It doesn't matter that you can get a WRX for less, it doesn't come with Brembo brakes an awesome suspension or... The name... Which seems to me being a new driver of the late 80's Honda's they did a darn good Job of doing so. I still remember drooling over the 88-91 Si hatches and type R Tegs. I don't think it's that crazy or uncalled for to charge 35-40k for this car. Wanna join that club pay the price is all. If I wanna go fast I get on my bike...

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
It doesn't matter that you can get a WRX for less, it doesn't come with Brembo brakes an awesome suspension or... The name... Which seems to me being a new driver of the late 80's Honda's they did a darn good Job of doing so. I still remember drooling over the 88-91 Si hatches and type R Tegs. I don't think it's that crazy or uncalled for to charge 35-40k for this car. Wanna join that club pay the price is all. If I wanna go fast I get on my bike...
Well I'm waiting until it proves the performance by independent track tests, real ownership experience. Until then it's just marketing, nicely colored brochures and big words.
Also FK2 type R was close in performance/config but didn't catch for some reason. Honda fans are also in Europe. Plus in the US the performance car market is more competitive with the low gas prices you have. And more aftermarket options.
Also other aspects as depreciation, running costs will factor in and filter out further potential buyers.
The ones going to buy an FK8 Type R might want to check UK FK2 forums to get a feel of the ownership experience caveats. Some of the aspects might make a difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also FK2 type R was close in performance/config but didn't catch for some reason. Honda fans are also in Europe. Plus in the US the performance car market is more competitive with the low gas prices you have. And more aftermarket options.
I'm thinking the reason it didn't take was because they released it and before it went on sale, they announced the new global hatch and we all knew/assumed/thought it might bring a new TypeR version. I think they said FK2 wouldn't be around long. When the new TypeR was announced, I think people just decided they'd wait it out. I can't blame them. The FK2 wouldn't have worked for me because it's too small. I don't think it was terribly desirable because of that torsion beam rear end.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
The FK2 wouldn't have worked for me because it's too small. I don't think it was terribly desirable because of that torsion beam rear end.
I'd literally do anything to have the FK2 over the FK8. It actually looks like a hatch :D Wish there was no issue importing that guy over... I'd work with a broker today instead of waiting for the FK8.

HMan

AB 1.5T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe EXT
Well I'm waiting until it proves the performance by independent track tests, real ownership experience. Until then it's just marketing, nicely colored brochures and big words.
Also other aspects as depreciation, running costs will factor in and filter out further potential buyers.
The ones going to buy an FK8 Type R might want to check UK FK2 forums to get a feel of the ownership experience caveats. Some of the aspects might make a difference.
The specs for 0-60 and whatnot are not all that impressive out there. It'll be how it drives and how fun it is to drive. 5.7 0-100km (0-62) that's not awe inspiring. It is a limited slip? Maybe it just needs a better driver and better tires. I hear you though

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I'm thinking the reason it didn't take was because they released it and before it went on sale, they announced the new global hatch and we all knew/assumed/thought it might bring a new TypeR version. I think they said FK2 wouldn't be around long. When the new TypeR was announced, I think people just decided they'd wait it out. I can't blame them. The FK2 wouldn't have worked for me because it's too small. I don't think it was terribly desirable because of that torsion beam rear end.
True not being around long enough can be a reason for weak sales.
As for the size. I saw it in reality. It is bigger than it appears in pictures. Looks bigger on the outside/more spacious inside than Golf and Focus. I sat in both FK2 and FK8 and I did not observe a notable difference in interior/trunk size. I am 6'2" and FK2 had enough room for me.

The specs for 0-60 and whatnot are not all that impressive out there. It'll be how it drives and how fun it is to drive. 5.7 0-100km (0-62) that's not awe inspiring. It is a limited slip? Maybe it just needs a better driver and better tires. I hear you though
These 0-100 times, straight line official times. Tricky to manage them. Even attempting getting close takes a heavy toll on the car's mechanics. I never tried with my Bimmer such things tbh.
Yes the FK2 type R has a limited slip. This car excels at handling, agility, cornering stability. This is what I'm looking for. 200-300cp were racing car figures not long time ago; consumer cars evolved much faster than ordinary driver's skills. Tbh I think that > 99% of the drivers do not have the ability to fully control more than 200-300hp. Meaning at limit, when things go wrong, managing to bring the car back. Although I did karting, some driving courses and I can do ok, I think I'm among the 99%. Around 300 hp is about the maximum for me.
If I'll take this car I'll spend 2-300 to do again a defensive driving course to get familiar with the car in limit conditions. Or maybe smth more serious by Honda on European tracks - but not using my car :). I don't want to trash it.

Last edited:

warrendeath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R 'Hellbat'
I hope Honda plays this smart and undercuts the Focus RS by a decent margin. The low trim model should be ringing in at 32k. I can't see many going for it, with the Focus RS getting so highly praised and being loaded with tech. I understand the faithful will buy it, but I can't see that being enough to make the car a huge hit like it is.
Sponsored