Crash Test Video: 2016 Civic vs Toyota Corolla

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why are they testing that against a 2014 Corolla and not a 2015 or 2016?
I'm guessing there hasn't been major changes to the Corolla since 2014. I believe they are all 11th gen.

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The Civic definitely held up better than the Corolla.

Why are they testing that against a 2014 Corolla and not a 2015 or 2016?
The Corolla hasn't received any significant updates since the 2014 model year.

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
The cabin's frame on the Civic is made from ultra steel or whatever they called it which suppose to be the strongest part of the car and we can see it remained intact while the weaker steel in front is used to absorb all the energie by deforming.

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Amazing how safe the 10th gen civic is. That is a huge deal when considering a car to drive. The cabin is 100% undamaged.

E_Davion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I love how the passenger side mirror flips forward cleanly on the Civic. It's actually satisfying to watch.

Danny Boy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
IIHS test shows that Corolla's Small overlap front as "Marginal" whereas Civic's test as "good". That is confirmed in the video.

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The better question is why compare it to a car that's not even close to the same class anymore? Civic easily Trump's the rolla in every category...
It's more than fitting that the Civic is compared to the Corolla considering the two vehicles traditionally lead the compact car sales category. The Corolla outsold the Civic in 2015, if my memory is correct.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's more than fitting that the Civic is compared to the Corolla considering the two vehicles traditionally lead the compact car sales category. The Corolla outsold the Civic in 2015, if my memory is correct.
Toyota also inflates their sales numbers with fleet sales whereas honda does not. So you have to look at private buyer sales lists that disregard fleet sales. Historically honda has almost always sold more accords, civics and CRVs than toyota sold camry, corolla and rav4 but with fleet sales factored in, toyota sells more by overall volume.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
would people consider the car to be "totaled"?
"Totaled" is a function of cost to fix near or exceeding value of the car. The cost to fix these would be in that ballpark, easily. Just the airbags deployed is thousand$ in replacement cost. And they appear to have structural damage all the way through the passenger compartment. Look at the doors crushing together, even on the Civic. And the Civic's deck lid pops. That'd spend a long time on the rack getting back anywhere close to factory dimensions.

moeonline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
replacing the bumper, trunk and rear lights on mine when getting rear ended was $7k...so yeah these are well beyond totaled (and who would want to drive something with that much frame damage - good luck ever getting the new panels to align)
Sponsored