Civic Type S with 200hp could join next gen Type R? (Auto Express)

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
UK publication Auto Express has posted about a potential Civic Type S joining the 10th gen lineup.

Warm Honda Civic Type S likely to join range with version of 1.5-litre turbocharged engine

Warm Honda Civic Type S likely to join range with version of 1.5-litre turbocharged engine

Honda’s all-new tenth generation Civic, due to arrive in the UK next Spring, could feature a warm hatch version to sit alongside the new Civic Type R model, exclusively revealed by Auto Express.

The new model will be the first Honda to feature a new range of turbocharged 1.0 and 1.5-litre petrol engines and it’s a version of the latter that could feature in the new car.

A 172bhp version of the new Civic is already available in the US, which covers the 0-62mph sprint in 8.2secs. However, Auto Express has already sampled a 201bhp version of the same engine in a test mule in Japan, mated to a CVT automatic gearbox, and it's that engine that's more likely to power the European car.

Although no decision has been made on whether a warm model will come to the UK to sit between the standard models and the Type-R, Honda bosses are said to be keen on the idea, rekindling the spirit of the previous Type S models.

Speaking previously to Auto Express, Honda UK boss Phillip Crossman expressed a desire to expand his range with more engine variants. “I’d like us to compete with rivals who have a number of power outputs from one engine size, before we think about introducing new niche models,” he told us.

The new Civic is due to be shown in final European production form at October’s Paris Motor Show, and Auto Express expects a Type R concept to be revealed at the same time.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I doubt we would get this in the US. The UK historically has always had a type S (used to be reserved for the 3-door hatch models) that was kind of like a watered down Si. Since we are getting the hotter Si model i'm guessing we won't get the Type S variant, though i think it'd be interesting if they condensed the Coupe lineup in response to the hatch sport models and offer a Type S that would slot where the current LX-P or EXT is slotted and offer slightly more horsepower sport centered variant similar to how hyundai offers the Rally spec veloster turbos that have less features than the standard turbo and focus more on the sport aspect.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
This will probably get the 1.5T version with VTEC instead of just VTC.
But more importantly... that no-lift shift :headbang:

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
This will probably get the 1.5T version with VTEC instead of just VTC.
But more importantly... that no-lift shift :headbang:
Well, it's a CVT so....

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All these variants of the same power-plant certainly validate what the tuner community is doing. If Honda is getting 200hp out of essentially the stock engine, Hondata certainly isn't going to hurt it.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
0-62 in 8.2 seconds?

I've seen a time of 7.2 seconds 0-60 for the Touring reported, so another full second to 62?

Need to go to Englishetown soon. It would be a great place for a meetup.
Depends on the publication. Motortrend had some of the highest 0-60 numbers while car and driver clocked the EXT coupe at 6.7 seconds to 60.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Depends on the publication. Motortrend had some of the highest 0-60 numbers while car and driver clocked the EXT coupe at 6.7 seconds to 60.
Published 0-60 times for 1.5T engine (sedan):

Motortrend: 7.2 secs
Edmunds: 6.7 secs
Car and Driver: 6.8 secs
Consumer Reports: 7.1 secs

Almost none listed whether or not they were in 'D', 'S' or 'L' to achieve those times. Almost all noted better tires would have helped those times. That being said...the 0-62 time seems pretty slow. Maybe it was a rainy day and they were going uphill?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Published 0-60 times for 1.5T engine (sedan):

Motortrend: 7.2 secs
Edmunds: 6.7 secs
Car and Driver: 6.8 secs
Consumer Reports: 7.1 secs

Almost none listed whether or not they were in 'D', 'S' or 'L' to achieve those times. Almost all noted better tires would have helped those times. That being said...the 0-62 time seems pretty slow. Maybe it was a rainy day and they were going uphill?
I think that's where the various numbers are coming from being all within roughly half a second of eachother i'm thinking its the difference of posting the D, S or L numbers (some posted D because that's the normal drive mode and others posted L because those were the fastest numbers).

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I think that's where the various numbers are coming from being all within roughly half a second of eachother i'm thinking its the difference of posting the D, S or L numbers (some posted D because that's the normal drive mode and others posted L because those were the fastest numbers).
Also altitude (and probably also ambient temperature) matters.

Grambles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic Si
UK has always had a Type S moniker so this article is true for their market.

American market is already set as per the American Honda press release. LX thru Sport Touring plus Type R.

Just accept the hard truth that there will not be a 5DR hot hatch outside of the Type R upon initial release of at all this generation.
Sponsored