Civic Type R to get CVT option (Update: Debunked)

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
(emphasis mine)

This isn't about the CTR. Notice the word "announced". Honda have not announced a CVT for the CTR, but they have (and produced it) for other variants. Also, this isn't talking about low-speed acceleration; it's talking about how CVTs typically boost the RPMs ("rev-metal thrash") but they tried to mitigate that by making "engines tractable at low revs". None of this is news; they've been talking about the CVT tuning and low-end torque of the "VTEC Turbo" engines since the 10th gen Civic was announced. They're only covering it now for the UK because the Civic has not gone on sale in Europe yet.
Lol, we're on the same side here, idk if you read the rest of my post... I have the Car Mag Uk issue as well, and I read it as there's a "possibility" of a CVT rather then confirmation. If it were confirmed, the author would have written.. "confirmed". I wrote that in my previous post, but nobody paid it any mind and now it's a story on every major publication. Only time will tell.
Sponsored

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Regardless of whether or not the new CTR will have an automatic transmission does not bother me. Honda knows how to build a smooth and nice CVT transmission. In order for Honda to justify the CVT however, the car must be able to accelerate from 0-60 in 4.8-5.2 seconds. Otherwise, Honda's efforts that have gone into the CVT is just a waste. The current CTR in a straight line isn't as fast as the competition which is a letdown, however, by no means is it slow. You would think that something like a CVT could help with straight-line acceleration given the transmission is always holding the car in its powerband.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Well dang, I would have believed it. I mean isn't the ultimate goal to have the fastest Nurburgring time? And wouldn't a transmission that is constantly in the power band be the ticket? It would certainly explain the videos where people claimed there sounds of a very fast shift, almost automatic-like.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Regardless of whether or not the new CTR will have an automatic transmission does not bother me. Honda knows how to build a smooth and nice CVT transmission. In order for Honda to justify the CVT however, the car must be able to accelerate from 0-60 in 4.8-5.2 seconds. Otherwise, Honda's efforts that have gone into the CVT is just a waste. The current CTR in a straight line isn't as fast as the competition which is a letdown, however, by no means is it slow. You would think that something like a CVT could help with straight-line acceleration given the transmission is always holding the car in its powerband.
I think FWD is the limiting factor. Without fat drag slicks, it's hard to get traction at the front.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I think FWD is the limiting factor. Without fat drag slicks, it's hard to get traction at the front.
I also have to think the time it takes to shift from 1-2 (hopefully it does 60 in 2nd) is the easiest thing to eliminate and drop it under 5 to 60mph.
I wonder if the CVT would have any real impact on the 'ring. I have to guess no because the driver can always shift to power, but it would eliminate some guess work for the inexperienced.
I wouldn't be able to live with the CVT. I hope it doesn't make the MT ownership and sale any less exciting. That said, go for it people!!

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
It would certainly explain the videos where people claimed there sounds of a very fast shift, almost automatic-like.
People have been saying that about the Type-Rs since the 90s, but none of them had automatic transmissions.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Most of the industry, outside of Automotive News, is getting their info from sites like CivicX. Read the first sentence of the article Tim posted for proof of that. If you want to make a few bucks, start up a click bait website with a bunch of Google ads and rewrite forum posts that include words like potential, possibly, and may have. It seems to be quite catchy with the forthcoming automobiles for 2017 and 2018. Most of these sites offer -0- journalism.

That said, R&T has an article that makes me smile when thinking about a CVT-R. It mentions nothing of CivicX but ironically has been posted hours after CivicX posted their 'highlight'.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...sons-to-get-excited-about-a-civic-type-r-cvt/
:rofl:

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: Sage Marie, ‎Senior Manager, Automobile Public Relations at Honda, has confirmed that the Civic Type R will NOT have a CVT and only be offered in a 6 speed manual.

Per: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1302343

Looks like the article was misleading and I just got it wrong. Sorry everyone. :doh::banghead:

Original post:

May have been reported elsewhere, but the November edition of Carmagazine.co.uk has a nice spread on the CTR.

The article interviews the head engineer Mirsuru Kariya, the lead designer Tsutamori, and Honda Europe head honcho Katsushi Inoue, so these are indeed folks who know what they are talking about.

Specs they discuss:
  • LSD up front
  • Significantly lower CG compared to the standard Civic
  • FWD only
  • 6 speed MT standard, No DCT option
And most surprising:
  • An Option for a CVT that's optimized for low-end acceleration.

The article doesn't appear to be on the free side of the website, but in print the CVT comments are on page 67.:D

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
NO way I would have bought a Type R with a CVT anyway, but even offering it would have eroded its credibility with old guys like me, so I'm glad the CVT rumor is dead. It's already hard enough for us old guys to justify buying the Type R with its less than elegant boy-racer styling, fake vents and shipping cart handle on the back. If we had to answer whether or not we manned-up and got a manual or wimped out and got a CVT every time someone stopped us, that would drive me nuts.

I'm prepared to acknowledge it looks childish and that the big black plastic "vents" are mostly, if not completely blocked off, but I can still let them drive it and they'll shut the hell up. Experiencing the best manual transmission in the world has a very effective "shut the hell up" effect on people. If it had a CVT, I couldn't even do that as my friends would laugh so hard at me that they wouldn't even get in it. :)
Sponsored