Civic Type R to get CVT option (Update: Debunked)

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Guys had you learn anything all these years?
Until the info isn't on the Honda of America site is just speculation....

I remember the days that the Civic Type R was going to be launched with the Integra Type R. Tips like this were everywhere and nothing happened until 2017.

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@NoelPR So the chief engineer for the CTR project discussing how they've improved the CVT for the car he's designing and the President of Honda Europe discussing their thinking about the choice of a CVT and FWD vs AWD and DCT aren't good enough sources?

Fortunately there is no need to take my word. Go to you local Barnes and Noble and read the article yourself. That's where I found it.

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
@NoelPR So the chief engineer for the CTR project discussing how they've improved the CVT for the car he's designing and the President of Honda Europe discussing their thinking about the choice of a CVT and FWD vs AWD and DCT aren't good enough sources?

Fortunately there is no need to take my word. Go to you local Barnes and Noble and read the article yourself. That's where I found it.
Is there any way you can take a picture of this article or provide us with a link where we can digitally download this issue? I just need proof of this.

I think that even the thought that Honda wont make this a manual transmission only option is ridiculous, and that no one should take that info seriously. I remember too when Autoweek had "exclusive rights to CTR info" and gave us that picture of the blue stripped down hatchback pic and it proved to be lousy info also.

I seriously hope that nobody thinks that the TYPE R will come in anything except a manual transmission.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
"There's no indication of a dual-clutch gearbox for the Civic: the announced automated option is a CVT, although engineer Kariya hastily adds that he's tried to head-off the typical rev-metal thrash by making the cooking engines tractable at low revs" -Author

Mitsuru Kariya is the project leader for the entire 10th gen Civic line, and not exclusively for the Type R. Hence why Car UK referred to the "announced" automated gearbox as the CVT. It sounds like he is just talking about the CVT in the Civic lineup in general. In short, just wait till Spring.

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any way you can take a picture of this article or provide us with a link where we can digitally download this issue? I just need proof of this.

I think that even the thought that Honda wont make this a manual transmission only option is ridiculous, and that no one should take that info seriously. I remember too when Autoweek had "exclusive rights to CTR info" and gave us that picture of the blue stripped down hatchback pic and it proved to be lousy info also.

I seriously hope that nobody thinks that the TYPE R will come in anything except a manual transmission.
I did point to where the article can be found. It's currently behind the pay-wall online.

I'm not keen to get slapped with a TOS violation or sued for copyright violations. Here's the partial quote:

"...There's no sign of a dual-clutch gearbox for the Civic: the announced automatic option is a CVT, although engineer Kariya hastily adds that he's tried to head-off the rev-metal thrash by making the cooking engines tractable at low rev...."

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag

Dude Im 35 years old. I had being a car enthusiast since early high school. I cant count how many times I saw posts like this in where they always use a name of a ranked person within the company to give credibility but nothing happens. I just ignore it and wait for the news on the official car brand site.

Dont you learned from the 2.0lt Civic SI turbo that ended up being a 1.5lt?
How about the 2009+ Manual Lancer Ralliart?
The hyundai tiburon turbo?
Current gen MazdaSpeed3?
MazdaSpeed 6 anyone. That was mentioned pretty often too with articles citing the chief of cleaning engineering all the time.
The long awaited chevy cruze SS 2.0lt Turbo?
The never released Dodge SRT4 Dart AWD?
And the rumors of the return of the RSX that many people had proof that it was going to come out next year since 2007.

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fine. I'm done arguing about it. It's not my article, I didn't write it. It belongs to a major British magazine, so as I suggested before, go read it yourself.

It's clear Mr Kariwhatshisface is specifically discussing the CTR in this paragraph and throughout the article, as are the other two Honda reps quoted in the article. The paragraph starts with "Doubltless power will continue to be transmitted by today's magical 6 speed gear box...." but perhaps context no longer matters in the Twitterverse we all seem to live in.

Perhaps they are totally trolling the entire European continent for the sole purpose of fracking with this board. I don't know, I can't prove it and I don't care to try. I was merely pointing out a very nice article on the CTR and some interesting comments made by the people who are actually working on the car. If you chose not to believe it, don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. Take it up with London.

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
Fine. I'm done arguing about it. It's not my article, I didn't write it. It belongs to a major British magazine, so as I suggested before, go read it yourself.

It's clear Mr Kariwhatshisface is specifically discussing the CTR in this paragraph and throughout the article, as are the other two Honda reps quoted in the article. The paragraph starts with "Doubltless power will continue to be transmitted by today's magical 6 speed gear box...." but perhaps context no longer matters in the Twitterverse we all seem to live in.

Perhaps they are totally trolling the entire European continent for the sole purpose of fracking with this board. I don't know, I can't prove it and I don't care to try. I was merely pointing out a very nice article on the CTR and some interesting comments made by the people who are actually working on the car. If you chose not to believe it, don't blame me, I'm just the messenger. Take it up with London.
Yeah I would imagine that this is about the entire civic line up, not necessarily the type r. And, I'm not arguing with you, I just hate to see a bunch on misinformation getting thrown out there. And ever since that Autoweek stuff about the type r (which came from another "credible" uk source) I'm not believing any information that comes out of there either. We are all enthusiast here, so I'm not hating or bashing on your post by any means. Its just very broad statement made and "more than likely isn't relevant" to the CTR. Having people get there hopes up on something like this isn't cool lol.

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
I'll line my cvt civic up against my uncles new dct veloster turbo anyday 174hp vs 200hp too. This cvt works amazing. I'd take it over a jerky dct any day..
I wanna see THAT video, bud! Hey, did you ever make it back to your track this year? I didn't. Are you still bone stock? I am ... only the oil catch can. But that dude's 5.7 sec run on FlashPro has me thinking.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I wanna see THAT video, bud! Hey, did you ever make it back to your track this year? I didn't. Are you still bone stock? I am ... only the oil catch can. But that dude's 5.7 sec run on FlashPro has me thinking.
Hey man, Happy Holidays, and no just the one time, had my kswap ek coupe at the track instead later this year and blew my transmission lol. I have the injen sri on my car now and flashpro is in the mail!

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Dude Im 35 years old. I had being a car enthusiast since early high school. I cant count how many times I saw posts like this in where they always use a name of a ranked person within the company to give credibility but nothing happens. I just ignore it and wait for the news on the official car brand site.

Dont you learned from the 2.0lt Civic SI turbo that ended up being a 1.5lt?
How about the 2009+ Manual Lancer Ralliart?
The hyundai tiburon turbo?
Current gen MazdaSpeed3?
MazdaSpeed 6 anyone. That was mentioned pretty often too with articles citing the chief of cleaning engineering all the time.
The long awaited chevy cruze SS 2.0lt Turbo?
The never released Dodge SRT4 Dart AWD?
And the rumors of the return of the RSX that many people had proof that it was going to come out next year since 2007.
X2 and well said.

Not sure what is worse...the disappointing delays in confirmed info or the stupid quotes and conjecture and bs and speculation and rumours etc...

Hey, my neighbour's dog is related to the dog of Honda USA VP and he said the CTR will fart rainbows

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/magazine/digital-preview-of-the-new-issue-of-car-magazine/

Download it for yourselves.

I find it so odd that people are putting their hands over their ears and going," LA LA LA I can't hear you!" Whenever someone mentions new Tech and the CTR.

In one of the most innovative cars of the last decade, what is so incredible about putting an option of a cutting edge drivetrain into the flagship of the Honda line? The NSX has a DCT, so why is it so odd to think that the CTR would want to take advantage of the performance gain of a CVT?
Sponsored