Civic Type R prototype spotted in Europe

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Don't give anyone any ideas, please.

I 100% guarantee a 20" wheel will be standard.
No, I don't care to elaborate. I'm just a random person on the internet. If you wish to not take my word, thats up to you. But I'll tell you that I am 100% confident that the tire on the prototype will be standard equipment on the R.
Yeah. That's sounds an awful lot like you're a Conti employee. ;)

I think I may have just been convinced that the car is coming with 20". That was easy enough! Now I have to wrap my head around a Civic coming standard with 20" wheels. WOW!
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
No, I don't care to elaborate. I'm just a random person on the internet. If you wish to not take my word, thats up to you. But I'll tell you that I am 100% confident that the tire on the prototype will be standard equipment on the R.
Guys, @JYR is a valuable member here. I wish you could elaborate but I have an idea..

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the CTR will not come with 22" wheels

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I can tell you with 100% certainty that the CTR will not come with 22" wheels
You sure? They might keep spinning after you stop. That would be 'tight' 'yo.'

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
I just wasted 45 minutes looking, and found nothing lol. My guess is something premium like Lexus, Audi, or similar. But no car company in America has that car in their roster for 2016/2017 so idk unless it's older.

Fled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
I'm sorry. If an STI does not need 20's neither does a Type R. If this thing rolls out with 20's, that will unfortunately push me over to the 2018 STI (yes I'd give up Apple Carplay for daily ride comfort).

SIDENOTE: Was watching some early 1.5 hatchback euro reviews, and one guy ended with "..or you can wait until the summer for the Type R with 340bhp" Could be nothing, but caught my attention.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
I'm sorry. If an STI does not need 20's neither does a Type R. If this thing rolls out with 20's, that will unfortunately push me over to the 2018 STI (yes I'd give up Apple Carplay for daily ride comfort).

SIDENOTE: Was watching some early 1.5 hatchback euro reviews, and one guy ended with "..or you can wait until the summer for the Type R with 340bhp" Could be nothing, but caught my attention.
If you're willing to change 100% of a car due to a 1" variance in wheel size, then you likely weren't planning to buy the CTR in the first place.
Have you considered that no car "Needs" 20-inch wheels, and especially the STi being that it is AWD vs the Civic's FWD that you are comparing Apples to Oranges?

And yes, the CTR does have ~340bhp. FWIW i'm also showing 2018 as the model year on this car, and I rarely see a future year model for sale prior to roughly June. Of course there are exceptions and model years mean such different things from company to company.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag

If you are buying the R with any sort of expectation of decent ride quality, you are buying it for all of the wrong reasons.

Fled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
If you're willing to change 100% of a car due to a 1" variance in wheel size, then you likely weren't planning to buy the CTR in the first place.
Have you considered that no car "Needs" 20-inch wheels, and especially the STi being that it is AWD vs the Civic's FWD that you are comparing Apples to Oranges?

And yes, the CTR does have ~340bhp. FWIW i'm also showing 2018 as the model year on this car, and I rarely see a future year model for sale prior to roughly June. Of course there are exceptions and model years mean such different things from company to company.
Well as a 40yo dude with a kid (and possibly more to come) for me ride quality ranks that highly for a DD, and I will LITTERALLY take every inch I can get. That 1" might be the difference between curbing the wheel and not. Does ANY car need 20" wheels, probably not....so point taken

However if the 2018 STI is going with 19's and has those new monster Brembo 4 pots up front, then Honda is just being silly with the 20's. At least Subaru can claim fitment. That was the reason i made the STI comparo as they are also in the same price range. I'll tell you what....I think Honda is on the wrong path (stylistically) with the boy racer theme as I am positive the looks drove many would be buyers into the arms of Subaru and Ford. I will admit however that looks-wise it is 500 times better than the last Type R on the rice-meter. Literally every single hot hatch / hot sedan in that price range has "grown up" except for Honda. Yes looks are subjective and maybe I am ignoring the cultural preferences in Japan. Geneva will be the decider (and a few review + head2head vids)

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
FWIW i'm also showing 2018 as the model year on this car, and I rarely see a future year model for sale prior to roughly June. Of course there are exceptions and model years mean such different things from company to company.
This used to be normal for Honda and commonplace for Infinity/Mercedes/BMW - meaning you could start buying the next model year in February...
The last car we got from Acura - the MDX - was a 2016 which we picked up in May of 2015. I think they were available in April.
Weird that they're able to do that.

Fled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Exactly. Perhaps he'd be better off with an Si.
I don't understand this line of argument. The current gen is quite liveable, I've driven it many times. Pls explain.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Getting back on topic, anyone know what those metal bits above the exhaust are? At the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

Heat shield perhaps?
Sponsored