Civic Type R or Focus RS ? (US spec for both)

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I recently bought a 2017 Civic Hatch Sport and fell in love with it. I use to hate Honda's and now I am some what getting use to them. So my question is, which car should I get? Here is the list: (all in US spec) Focus RS or Civic Type R. Which car would be the most fun, reliable and cost sensible? Which one is the most comfortable? I know the RS has more power and but the Civic most likely will be faster on a track... I won't be tracking or drag racing these cars so which one would be the best daily?
Sponsored

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have no intention of using either for it's intended purpose, why these cars?

It a bit like ordering a 2WD Jeep Wrangler and giving it a lift kit: kind of missing the point.

You'd be more comfortable in a Sport Touring and adding the aero bits if you are after the styling. Cheaper too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have no intention of using either for it's intended purpose, why these cars?

It a bit like ordering a 2WD Jeep Wrangler and giving it a lift kit: kind of missing the point.

You'd be more comfortable in a Sport Touring and adding the aero bits if you are after the styling. Cheaper too.

Well I like sporty cars. I don't like having all the weight from the sunroof and I really don't need a navi. The reason why I want either a Type R or Rs is because I like fast cars without breaking the bank... I mean who doesn't want to look at a type r or rs? I just need opinions. I have other cars but these two are on my top.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Niether, 2012 Ford Focus with the power shift transmission :D
I am going to kinda stay away from Ford focus's from previous years. A lot of people have been telling me about reliability issues and recalls... It's the Type R or RS.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to kinda stay away from Ford focus's from previous years. A lot of people have been telling me about reliability issues and recalls... It's the Type R or RS.
Why did you just buy a sport then?

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh, well, then I'd go CTR. Better reliability, and I suspect you will get a better ride than the Ford.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why did you just buy a sport then?
? I got a super good deal on one and the ford near me didn't have a RS and the Type R isn't out. I won't be trading or selling the sport. ? Plus my old civic was getting boring. I asking about future buys. I obviously won't be buying a Type R once it launches. Test drive both before.

Last edited:

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
Your original post asks which one would be better and more cost sensible. May I suggest that buying a new hatch, and then buying another faster hatch is not in any way cost sensible?

You also asked which would be the best daily driver. So, if the RS or CTR will be the daily, why even keep your current hatch?

It's your money and all, do as you please, just strikes me as odd that someone would buy the Civic hatch and immediately think of buying a (not so) different car.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your original post asks which one would be better and more cost sensible. May I suggest that buying a new hatch, and then buying another faster hatch is not in any way cost sensible?

You also asked which would be the best daily driver. So, if the RS or CTR will be the daily, why even keep your current hatch?

It's your money and all, do as you please, just strikes me as odd that someone would buy the Civic hatch and immediately think of buying a (not so) different car.
I understand it doesn't make sense to buy a "similar" and the fact that I just bought a Hatch. I am just asking whether the Type R is better or the RS for a future buy. And really, the fact of owning two similar cars doesn't really bother me at all and what is bad about owning two daily's? I know plenty of people with two of the same Mustang Gt's, 2ss Camaro's, two Accords?

Reactions: Gtb

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
I understand it doesn't make sense to buy a "similar" and the fact that I just bought a Hatch. I am just asking whether the Type R is better or the RS for a future buy. And really, the fact of owning two similar cars doesn't really bother me at all and what is bad about owning two daily's? I know plenty of people with two of the same Mustang Gt's, 2ss Camaro's, two Accords?
And that's totally fine. Just pointing out that it's worth thinking about from a financial/cost effectiveness standpoint.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
can any one answer this man's question? good god.
I'm biased but I'd rather have a CTR, why? mainly because of looks, the interior seems a bit more sophisticated, the main thing that attracted me to the civic was the dash. I'm not sure how the CTR will compete with the RS. I know rear wheel drive cars feel awesome and also it's ability to shift power to the wheels for traction, but in the end (to me) the RS is still a focus, looks great on the exterior but smaller and unsophisticated on the interior. I'm probably going to be trading in for a CTR once they get the kinks worked out and the hype goes down in 2-3 years.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
CTR..

I like my teeth. It rides like a fucking lumber wagon.
Sponsored