Civic Type R continues final tweaking on Nurburgring

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I keep following up with this thread because of how popular it seems to be today, and I zone into CTR details and speculations. Meanwhile I hear this buzzing sound which turns into my physics professor going "......total linear momentum remains unchanged." Then I look at the board and it's completely filled in and I frantically write notes before he erases. Honda is causing me so much stress but so much excitement!
I can almost guarantee I lost a year of my life because of this car.....I intend to get it back with all the smiling I'll be doing behind the wheel...lol

Not all cars are RHD over there sheesh
Actually in that part of the world it's only the UK. All of Europe is LHD.

The helmet isn't stock either, it's a "necessary" safety feature. Like the '15/'16 version they trade the AC for the roll cage to keep the total weight equivalent to stock - they don't remove anything else.
If I remember correctly, and I can be talking out of my ass right now, but I believe it was stated by Honda that the FK2 only had the roll bar for safety. It in no way helped with rigidity. I'll try to find the article. Honda came out and stated this because so many people were stating that Honda had installed it to help the FK2's track record.
Sponsored

Last edited:

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I remember correctly, and I can be talking out of my ass right now, but I believe it was stated by Honda that the FK2 only had the roll bar for safety. It in way helped with rigidity. I'll try to find the article. Honda came out and stated this because so many people were stating that Honda had installed it to help the FK2's track record.
Yeah, I think they removed the AC and added the roll cage to offset the weight to make it official.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
So does anyone have the official time yet!!??
I bet the time/video will be revealed before/at NYIAS, this would indeed shoot the HYPE through the roof which I'm sure Honda has thought through thoroughly.

The_Fenix_2.0

Brett Bynes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda fit sport
Country flag
Hopefully all the features translate over to the north american version. There is only 1 Trim Level (Touring)
Although Honda would be smart to do it like the Si. It has one trim, but one with Nav and one w/o, so they should do the R the same way. One with Nav (and LED headlights) and one w/o Nav and lights.

And you can detect this on the post #1 photos? I can't but the FK2 Euro version has a road sign reader mounted there (I believe).
Umm...
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R continues final tweaking on Nurburgring Screenshot_20170404-172932

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
I bet the time/video will be revealed before/at NYIAS, this would indeed shoot the HYPE through the roof which I'm sure Honda has thought through thoroughly.
prob something like
"We've ran some fast laps at the ring..... and we can announce today...... that the Type R is running in the 7-8 minute range"
:confused:

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
I have so many questions!!!! Why the different headlights, why the black edition seats, why the 2017 sticker in the window, why is the fuel door open, why no center caps? Actually don't care about the fuel door or center caps, going for the record makes sense. Don't understand why they would go through the trouble of changing the headlights... Maybe the black edition seats are lighter?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I thought they had already achieved a new lap time when DJ Riviera (sp?) stated that this car is "faster than the [original] GT-R". Wasn't there like a whole thread about people debating on which GT-R he was referring? Or was this done before that show?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I thought they had already achieved a new lap time when DJ Riviera (sp?) stated that this car is "faster than the [original] GT-R". Wasn't there like a whole thread about people debating on which GT-R he was referring? Or was this done before that show?
You are right there too, we heard these pics were taken this past weekend.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I can almost guarantee I lost a year of my life because of this car.....

Is that all?!

If I remember correctly, and I can be talking out of my ass right now, but I believe it was stated by Honda that the FK2 only had the roll bar for safety. It in no way helped with rigidity. I'll try to find the article. Honda came out and stated this because so many people were stating that Honda had installed it to help the FK2's track record.
Exactly, I've done the opposite before too, strengthened the crap out of my enduro cars and no roll cage. Unsafe and fast. That's how it goes on the dirt track.

Gaijin-Garage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SiR (EF9), Civic SiR-II (EG6), Orthia GX-Aero (EL2), Spoon-Sports Official Dealer
Country flag
We went through this when the FK2 was testing at the 'Ring, manufacturer's can use a cage and are able to remove /replace components to compensate for the weight of the cage... what professional Race Driver would really want to jump into a production vehicle and go for record lap times WITHOUT a cage ?! Tyres would be production items not special track rubber, same for brake pads also.
So they're certainly going for the record here - and you can see there's some super hard braking going on, I look forward to in-car footage etc !

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
I noticed HondaPro Jason is still quoting 2800lbs for the CTR curb weight in his Instagram post today.... Sorry if I missed it but is this true or are we expecting a little over 3000lbs here?

Its gotta be over 3000lbs I would think for sure?

No offense to HondaPro Jason but the guy isnt an engineer. He is marketing first. All he does is sell cars and do social media. I dont think he has a clue that 2800lbs is not possible for the CTR.
Sponsored