Civic SiR - $30k, 2.0 Turbo?

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Need MORE than the 205 horsepower Si the provides, but feel like the 306 horsepower, 165 mph, $35,000 Type R is over the top?
I know I feel the need for a Civic between these two choices - and I bet you do too. I'd even venture that HondaPro Jason agrees - being that he recently hinted about a 2018 affordable Type R.

The TypeR is an incredible car. If you watched the video of this car on the Nurburgring, you KNOW that it handles speeds well in excess of 120 mph with ease. That's great. But that level of speed is overkill (literally) for most of us. And, frankly, a car designed to run 165 mph is going to be a frustrating vehicle to keep under 80 mph. For most of us, most of the time, the TypeR is too much performance at too high a cost.

What if, however, Honda designed a Type R for the common enthusthuast? 2.0 turbo with maybe 240 horsepower, with components designed for a 120 mph top speed? This car wouldn't be a stripper, would ideally still feature CarPlay, 450 watt stereo, 19" wheels (unlike the 20" Type 4), Si seats, Hatchback body, maybe just two drive modes... You get where I'm going with this, right. Ideally this all goes for $29 or $30k (USD).

What do you think?
Sponsored

moe_flex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Need MORE than the 205 horsepower Si the provides, but feel like the 306 horsepower, 165 mph, $35,000 Type R is over the top?
I know I feel the need for a Civic between these two choices - and I bet you do too. I'd even venture that HondaPro Jason agrees - being that he recently hinted about a 2018 affordable Type R.

The TypeR is an incredible car. If you watched the video of this car on the Nurburgring, you KNOW that it handles speeds well in excess of 120 mph with ease. That's great. But that level of speed is overkill (literally) for most of us. And, frankly, a car designed to run 165 mph is going to be a frustrating vehicle to keep under 80 mph. For most of us, most of the time, the TypeR is too much performance at too high a cost.

What if, however, Honda designed a Type R for the common enthusthuast? 2.0 turbo with maybe 240 horsepower, with components designed for a 120 mph top speed? This car wouldn't be a stripper, would ideally still feature CarPlay, 450 watt stereo, 19" wheels (unlike the 20" Type 4), Si seats, Hatchback body, maybe just two drive modes... You get where I'm going with this, right. Ideally this all goes for $29 or $30k (USD).

What do you think?
I think that would be great but it might take the spotlight away from the Type R. If there was an Si hatch I think most people would go for that instead of the Type R. It's like there's no in between for regular enthusiasts. Personally I prefer the body style of the hatch over the sedan and coupe but the manual hatch only comes in the base sport trim. You have to sacrifice tech and other options for the MT. The Si basically has all the tech and seats and sporty design with a MT, but it's not a hatch. So its basically either you just take the coupe or sedan Si or have to go to the other extreme and pay an extra 10k for the Type R

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's the same reason the Porsche Cayman didn't come with more power, it handles better, is cheaper ,and would have gone faster than the 911, therefore taking sales away from the 911.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
More than 205hp? Many of us rarely hit 100mph and when we do, not much over. I'd rather see the torque # go up. The other gen could hit 130mph+. After 110 or so it was a slow climb. I'd rather be able to hit the 110 or so faster with some more torque. You'd need a runway, good back road or salt flats to think about hitting 150mph+ with more horses. Give us the torque.

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
More than 205hp? Many of us rarely hit 100mph and when we do, not much over. I'd rather see the torque # go up. The other gen could hit 130mph+. After 110 or so it was a slow climb. I'd rather be able to hit the 110 or so faster with some more torque. You'd need a runway, good back road or salt flats to think about hitting 150mph+ with more horses. Give us the torque.
Well, according to your previous posts....you drive like that everyday in Texas. :crazy::crazy::cry:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag

What do you think?
eh, I think most of us were expecting the SI to be just that based on many early "rumors" of a de-tuned 2.0T SI. And 120 mph? Even my 2000 Prelude "can" hit 140 and it only has 200 hp.

OP
OP
rezlab

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm wondering if they are going to release the car we originally expected, but call it something else.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm wondering if they are going to release the car we originally expected, but call it something else.
This reminds me of when soon after the Prelude was killed, the internet was filled with lots of rumors of a Prelude second coming in the future. They're still talking about today. :lol:

But I guess in time the 2.0T might morph into the SI. If I understand this correctly, the 1st gen SI came with a very similar motor as the base and in time, its motors keep getting bigger and bigger.

But hey if they do a SiR now, I'll be the first one to down a deposit. :thumbsup:

82801BA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
eh, I think most of us were expecting the SI to be just that based on many early "rumors" of a de-tuned 2.0T SI. And 120 mph? Even my 2000 Prelude "can" hit 140 and it only has 200 hp.
My 97 Prelude manual would hit red line on 5th and climb until fuel cut off at 8000. Speedometer all the way clockwise. I doubt an Si would...

bigoldglock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Honda Odysessy
Country flag
I can forsee the likely situation when the Acura ILX is updated to the new line of civic sedan, that they finally do a proper S type and put a version of the 2.0T in the ILX and perhaps couple it with the all wheel drive SH and make a badass Acura ILX-S. A car like this would sell well in the low 40K range.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can forsee the likely situation when the Acura ILX is updated to the new line of civic sedan, that they finally do a proper S type and put a version of the 2.0T in the ILX and perhaps couple it with the all wheel drive SH and make a badass Acura ILX-S. A car like this would sell well in the low 40K range.
ILX? Isn't that just a re-decorated Accord? For $40K, I think I'll take a Bimmer 2 thank you.

bigoldglock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Honda Odysessy
Country flag
Well actually the underpinnings are the same across the civic and new accord line. It would make total sense to make a smaller premium sport luxury sedan that checks many of the boxes that Type-r people want. I see what the Golf R brings in terms of premium finish and fit, and it is close to the Audi that shares the platform. You will likely never see a loaded up Civic type-r with Leather, electronic gizmos, AWD, etc - - but would make sense to move those things into the ILX platform and not screw with the Race inspired type R

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Toss in a 6spd manual I'd be interested. Even if it's detuned more in the 250-280 ballpark.
Sponsored