Civic Si for Autocross

JTilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazdaspeed3 / 1995 200sx SE-R
The new Civic Si looks like a promising autocross car, so maybe we can discuss our thoughts here.

Classing:
The SCCA hasn't classed the car yet, but based on past experience (11 years of autocross,) I would guess the classing (by category) will look something like this:

Street - HS or GS
Street Touring - STX
Street Prepared - DSP
Street Modified - SMF
Prepared - ??
Modified - ??

I think it could be a solid competitor in HS, but wouldn't be surprised if the SCCA put it in GS for the first year to gauge performance potential.

My thoughts for a Street class Si -
The gearing looks okay for autocross. With OE tires, it should reach high 50's at redline and close to 60 at the rev limit in 2nd gear. This could mean an occasional shift to 3rd for "national" type courses. Helical LSD is also a big plus for pulling out of turns and putting down power. ~2900 lbs curb weight is pretty reasonable by today's standards. Over 100 lbs lighter than the last Si. Peak HP rating of 205 doesn't sound all that high, but the power curve is very strong throughout the rpm range. The 235/40R18 tires mean the stock 18" wheels must be at least 8" wide, however I haven't been able to confirm the width yet. I would also be curious what the width is for the Optional wheels. Anyone know? Camber - looks like the strut mounts are pinned and the holes are slotted. So hopefully Honda authorizes pin-removal for camber adjustment. Looks like the overall height is slightly lower than other 10th gen models, so it probably has lower (and hopefully stiffer) springs. Bigger swaybars front and rear (27f/18r,) but most likely it will need a bigger rear bar for better rotation. I'm really curious about the Adaptive Damper System and Sport mode. Can't really comment on either just yet, but hopefully they help autocross performance. At first glance, the wheels and exhaust system look heavy. Aftermarket wheels and catback exhaust should be good for some weight savings. Could be good for 50-80 lbs. Maybe more. Another important consideration is the nannies, like VSA or HSA. Does anyone know if they can be completely turned off?

My Street class build plan would be something like this:
1. Alignment: Max neg camber front and rear. Start with zero toe front and rear.
2. Install bigger rear swaybar
3. Purchase lighter wheels
4. Install top 200tw tires
5. Install lightweight aftermarket catback exhaust
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Have you not read the Fastrack? Classes are going to be completely different next year (because pretty much everyone is on board with the proposed changes)

Best left to a "wait and see" right now

OP
OP

JTilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you not read the Fastrack? Classes are going to be completely different next year (because pretty much everyone is on board with the proposed changes)

Best left to a "wait and see" right now
Are you referring to the Street Touring proposal to eliminate STF, add STH, and move other cars as needed? If so, I didn't want to assume it was going through yet. If it does, then I think the new Civic Si would go to STH. Not STX.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you referring to the Street Touring proposal to eliminate STF, add STH, and move other cars as needed? If so, I didn't want to assume it was going through yet. If it does, then I think the new Civic Si would go to STH. Not STX.
I think it's too big of a shake-up to classing to "hope" that it doesn't go through, and given how so many cars are coming small displacement + turbos now, I think it's SCCA finally adapting to the times and acknowledging that turbochargers exist. It probably will go through and it will change the competition scene immensely

OP
OP

JTilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's too big of a shake-up to classing to "hope" that it doesn't go through, and given how so many cars are coming small displacement + turbos now, I think it's SCCA finally adapting to the times and acknowledging that turbochargers exist. It probably will go through and it will change the competition scene immensely
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I hope it doesn't get through. I was saying that I didn't want to make that assumption in the first post, until it actually goes through. Sorry for the confusion.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I hope it doesn't get through. I was saying that I didn't want to make that assumption in the first post, until it actually goes through. Sorry for the confusion.
I mean, it doesn't really change much but the competitive landscape - but to me that influences how much I'll do to the car. newer Civic Si's haven't been competitive for a while, but they were never turbocharged either. It's just a weird time right now.

If a car doesn't have potential to pull a win at nationals, then just do some basic bolt-ons and have fun - hell, just do whatever you think is fun, even if it breaks the rules. Nobody outside of nationals likes/follows the SCCA Solo rulebook anyway (and hence why the proposed fastrack is such a big deal)

OP
OP

JTilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI - the SCCA has classed the new Si in GS for the Street Category. Should be fairly competitive there, IMO.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
FYI - the SCCA has classed the new Si in GS for the Street Category. Should be fairly competitive there, IMO.
agreed.

i think it would have been an overdog in HS, killing right away the FiST.

Stock wheels are 28lbs each. Looks like there are plenty of options at 16lbs apiece. With an aftermarket catback and lighter wheels (-16x4 = -48lbs!), I bet that race weight will be in the low 2800lbs or even high 2700lb range.

I bet the Si will be right in the fight in GS

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
agreed.

i think it would have been an overdog in HS, killing right away the FiST.

Stock wheels are 28lbs each. Looks like there are plenty of options at 16lbs apiece. With an aftermarket catback and lighter wheels (-16x4 = -48lbs!), I bet that race weight will be in the low 2800lbs or even high 2700lb range.

I bet the Si will be right in the fight in GS
Any 16lbs recommendations?

I'll end up getting 17s and some REs and autocross with mine next year. I have the all seasons on right now, and they slide all over the place while regular driving. Still this car is super fun

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any 16lbs recommendations?

I'll end up getting 17s and some REs and autocross with mine next year. I have the all seasons on right now, and they slide all over the place while regular driving. Still this car is super fun
15-16lbs? There are a few. Legal for "Street" class must be +/-1" diameter, same width as stock, and +/-7mm net offset. I say net offset because spacers can be considered in the offset calculation

So you can do 17" or 18" or 19" wheels, must be 8" wide, and have total offset of +43mm to +57mm.

My choice is 17x8" That said, I see
OZ Alleggerita - 15.4lbs! at $359 for orange, red, or white. matte graphite silver is $299 on sale now
Enkei RPF1 - 15.6lbs at $256 for black. Silver is $233
Kosei K5R - 16.3lbs at $189 <------ great value cost/weight
TRMotorsport FF10 - 16.6lbs at $169 <----- probably best value cost/weight

I hope this helps :)

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
15-16lbs? There are a few. Legal for "Street" class must be +/-1" diameter, same width as stock, and +/-7mm net offset. I say net offset because spacers can be considered in the offset calculation

So you can do 17" or 18" or 19" wheels, must be 8" wide, and have total offset of +43mm to +57mm.

My choice is 17x8" That said, I see
OZ Alleggerita - 15.4lbs! at $359 for orange, red, or white. matte graphite silver is $299 on sale now
Enkei RPF1 - 15.6lbs at $256 for black. Silver is $233
Kosei K5R - 16.3lbs at $189 <------ great value cost/weight
TRMotorsport FF10 - 16.6lbs at $169 <----- probably best value cost/weight

I hope this helps :)
That's perfect!

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, I suggest a 235/45/17 on that 17x8" wheel if you want to keep the same tire height of 25.4" from the 235/40/18 stock tire, or even a 245/45/17 on it to get an extra 0.3" of height and as a consequence a higher top speed in 2nd gear.

I think the 245/45/17 on a 8" wide wheel can work fine on a tire with a stiff sidewall like a Bridgetstone RE71R

But I think the 235/45/17 is the hot ticket

Last edited:

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I have 255s on my 18x8s that I autoX with my RS. And they were a pain to get on the wheel. So I probably would go 245s

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
My Street class build plan would be something like this:
1. Alignment: Max neg camber front and rear. Start with zero toe front and rear.
I would actually experiment with 0 camber in the rear or at least a degree difference between front and rear. This will allow the car to rotate easier.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
biggest caveat is probably dealing with front camber. I have a bad feeling they didn't put much on the Si (and who knows how long until someone makes a camber plate with all the attention on the TypeR and too many people afraid to touch their adaptive OEM suspension)

someone who has the resources should report back on what OEM alignment and adjustment range is
Sponsored