Civic Si Delayed until June 2017?

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Lame. We already know all there is about the CR-V.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
All but confirmed??!!! Honda has never liked any of my tweets like this before, but they did on my comment in response to their newest #powerofdreams advertisement, announcing something on 2/5/17.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si Delayed until June 2017? Screen_Shot_2017_02_01_at_1_03_23_PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Si Delayed until June 2017? Screen_Shot_2017_02_01_at_1_03_10_PM

That is where my money is at.
Judging by what we have seen to date if this is for the Si, it will be poorly lit, presented by a guy in blue jeans and a blazer, and they will confirm that the car will have paint, but possibly not the paint colour we are being shown, it will have a 1.5T engine and it will have floor mats. And the rear wheels will be spinning in the ad also :drive:
:dance:

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
I snagged a VW GTI Sport for about $24K over the holidays. This new-for-2017 trim comes standard with the Performance and Lighting packages. Just couldn't wait for the Si any longer. I may regret it in the future when it starts falling apart, but for now this little beast sure is fun to drive.
I hear ya. I couldnt wait any longer plus didn't want the 1.5T. I looked at GTIs over the holidays too, but came across a new 2016 Focus ST deal that I simply couldn't refuse. Picked up a base model with sunroof for nearly $6k off MSRP ($20,250). I felt like I stole it. Time will tell if I have any regrets maintenance-wise but so far it's been a hoot to drive. First 'American' car I've ever purchased, but it was engineered entirely in Germany and everything about the way it feels and handles shows (even the bolts are metric).

I'll most likely be boosting the torque soon all the way to a monstrous 360 lb/ft TQ for only a meager $700 installed. Given how much I saved on the car, I view it as practically free. Even better, it's a Ford Racing tune and keeps the warranty intact.

http://bestride.com/news/torque-is-cheap-factory-ford-ecu-flash-boosts-focus-st-to-360-lb-ft

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CivicX admin is a bit desperate for news when this thread is on the front page. It's gonna be another Type R CVT :rolleyes:

Rumors are always fun, but we've got like a 6 month window of Si release dates from "reliable sources." Obviously this is just another in the pile.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I hear ya. I couldnt wait any longer plus didn't want the 1.5T. I looked at GTIs over the holidays too, but came across a new 2016 Focus ST deal that I simply couldn't refuse. Picked up a base model with sunroof for nearly $6k off MSRP ($20,250). I felt like I stole it. Time will tell if I have any regrets maintenance-wise but so far it's been a hoot to drive. First 'American' car I've ever purchased, but it was engineered entirely in Germany and everything about the way it feels and handles shows (even the bolts are metric).
Good call. If I had to replace my TSX today, I'm almost positive I'd go with a Focus ST. They're fantastic, and IMO the decent ride quality and low road noise are surprising for a hot hatch. I think the base version like yours provides the most bang for your buck of any performance car on the market. Even fully loaded it's a decent deal. For less than $30k OTD you have nav, good audio, heated seats and wheel, etc.

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
They have had quite bit of time, with skipping the 2016 model year for the Si. And now we are looking well into the spring to actually receive the cars.

I think it has something to do with the EPA or NHTSA or some approval body where they are having issues. Or they realize they shit the bed with their 1.5T and decided to do a slight rework after realizing that a regular 1.5T could be tuned to perform the same as what they had in mind for the Si.

Outside of that, budgetary issues, cost cutting. They would have to be past the final stages by now so production issues could be a problem. I don't know, does anyone live near Anna, Ohio where they are being made? Maybe pop by ;)

Either way it kinda makes me now want to just wait for a 2018 because I don't like the idea of getting into a 2017 si, and after 5 months its already 1 model year old and would have lost value rapidly.

The 2017 Si will be on the lots in June, and then in August/September the competiton will already have 2018's arriving.

Looks like Honda Done Fucked Up Real Good!
I doubt it is safety related as the crash test data for the regular 1.5T would most likely be used to cover the Si. This is another reason, I believe Honda decided to use the 1.5T.

I gotta believe that Honda is scrambling because of an issue related to durability of the drive train. With the added boost in turbo pressure, which I anticipate being Honda's solution for the Si, I bet they are finding abnormal oil burn with the engine once the mileage begins to pile up. I have long believed that Honda's decision to use the 1.5T instead of the 2.0T would create a problem with long term engine reliability. The 1.5T is fine being tuned to a 210hp figure but, with the market demanding a 230-250hp car, I would be willing to bet that Honda is discovering oil burn issues. Using a higher displacement engine 2.0T coupled with lower boost turbo would have been a far more robust solution that would offer a far better tuner platform to build from.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I doubt it is safety related as the crash test data for the regular 1.5T would most likely be used to cover the Si. This is another reason, I believe Honda decided to use the 1.5T.

I gotta believe that Honda is scrambling because of an issue related to durability of the drive train. With the added boost in turbo pressure, which I anticipate being Honda's solution for the Si, I bet they are finding abnormal oil burn with the engine once the mileage begins to pile up. I have long believed that Honda's decision to use the 1.5T instead of the 2.0T would create a problem with long term engine reliability. The 1.5T is fine being tuned to a 210hp figure but, with the market demanding a 230-250hp car, I would be willing to bet that Honda is discovering oil burn issues. Using a higher displacement engine 2.0T coupled with lower boost turbo would have been a far more robust solution that would offer a far better tuner platform to build from.
I agree.

Although I don't think it'd be difficult to get a whole lot of power out of a 1.5T (230+) and maintain reliability...I always felt the problem was the cost to do so. I mean people have done crazy things and obtain crazy high numbers on D15 and D16 engines, like 400hp+, long term reliability on that kind of power becomes in issue though. With that in mind I think it's entirely possible to get a humble 240hp out of a 1.5T and maintain reliability, it'd just be a bit more expensive than starting with the 2.0T.

At the end of the day though, if you wanted something with 230-250hp it'd be much cheaper and cost effective to start with the 2.0T, downgrade a few items and have something that's reliable. I mean they already have the base K20C2 engine in the base model Civics...which is cousin to the K20C1, why not just retool that motor since upgraded parts already exist?

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
CivicX admin is a bit desperate for news when this thread is on the front page. It's gonna be another Type R CVT :rolleyes:

Rumors are always fun, but we've got like a 6 month window of Si release dates from "reliable sources." Obviously this is just another in the pile.
What part of it is desperate when we have a whole community waiting for a car? You can call it rumours or whatever, but this is 2017... you might as well delete twitter, facebook and stop following any YouTube vlogs and just wait for CNN or FOX to give you the final word. Maybe you can find something printed in a newspaper. This is why these platforms are here. I have better things to do than share my purchasing experience to date but I thought I would share. If the car comes earlier that's wicked. I'm an auto enthusiast just looking to give other enthusiasts a heads up on what I have heard, when a manufacturer cant event come to the table to tell its own audience what might be in the pipework.

Cheers.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My next guess for a reveal is the Dayton Auto Show, where American Honda's headquarters are. Under their featured cars section, it states Honda - coming soon... and there are only a handful of manufacturers in this list. Could be any reveal for them though. Should see something either Wednesday Feb. 22nd, or Thursday Feb. 23rd. Media day is Thursday.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

I chalk this one up to "curiously silent."

The biggest concern I have is the change in the pre-order schedule that was available to the dealers back in December. Reinforces my belief that Honda hit a slight hiccup with one of their suppliers or made a last minute tweak to production (or both).

Word is they are hitting pre-production this week, which is encouraging. Good chance we could see one pop up at an upcoming auto show over the next 1-2 months.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is probably just a public memo direct from Honda for all shows. Honda doesn't even have announcement time for the car. I would find it strange if they don't do a formal announcement and it just shows up. I'd be pretty disappointed and would make me think they really aren't proud of the final product.
Sponsored