Civic Si Delayed until June 2017?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Just as a side note...
As I mentioned earlier on another thread, the very first mention of the Si on honda.com (on or before Nov 27) said "Arriving Summer 2017":
https://web.archive.org/web/20161127183644/http://automobiles.honda.com/civic/

So even last year they were already thinking it would be summer, but maybe then figured it might happen sooner (late spring maybe?) and changed the wording to "Arriving 2017"...
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I really want a low vin # though :cry:

Edit* ya I guess we will still receive the 1st ones hopefully. I wonder who will get the first 100..
I'm with you! I was trying to get a single digit but I'm not really interested in paying the premium on it...and it is going to be a Daily so I don't know if it's fair to Daily a single-digit VIN car.

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
After test driving a regular civic 1.5T I hope they take this time to fix THE WORST CASE OF REV HANG that I personally have ever experienced in my life ...

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
After test driving a regular civic 1.5T I hope they take this time to fix THE WORST CASE OF REV HANG that I personally have ever experienced in my life ...
Haha!! Agreed - it was noticeable! I felt it was about as bad as when my 8th Si was stock. The 2015 Honda Fit had terrible rev-hang as well.

It does that for emissions related reasons which I do hope they work out some other way...

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
After watching the Hondata autocross videos of higher power Civics, my hunch is that tuning a car to handle properly with 220 hp at the front wheels takes additional time. Particularly in a car with electronic steering, active suspension and an electronically controlled LSD.

My hunch is that Honda is tuning these systems on the Type R and Si simultaneously, leading to the tandem delay.

thr33lions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic Veloz, 2006 Si Coupe, 2010 Si Coupe, 2013 Si Sedan
After watching the Hondata autocross videos of higher power Civics, my hunch is that tuning a car to handle properly with 220 hp at the front wheels takes additional time. Particularly in a car with electronic steering, active suspension and an electronically controlled LSD.

My hunch is that Honda is tuning these systems on the Type R and Si simultaneously, leading to the tandem delay.

It's all starting to become less foggy. When I called Honda finance to extend the lease on my 2013 Si sedan which ends on Feb. 10th 2017 and informed them that I was waiting for the 2017 Si, with out even asking me how long I'd like it extended they said we'll extend until May 2017 until the new Si's are in. March 20th is technically Spring but I'm ok now with April or May.

All-Knowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX
Country flag
Yeah, I bet after the 100 runs of the 9th Gen CTR Black Edition, they converted those lines over to the 10th Gen CTR. So our CTR will be sitting in a warehouse or lot somewhere for several months waiting for the SI to be released before they ship them over here.
Nothing Honda makes "sits in a warehouse". It's all about the sale!

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
They have had quite bit of time, with skipping the 2016 model year for the Si. And now we are looking well into the spring to actually receive the cars.

I think it has something to do with the EPA or NHTSA or some approval body where they are having issues. Or they realize they shit the bed with their 1.5T and decided to do a slight rework after realizing that a regular 1.5T could be tuned to perform the same as what they had in mind for the Si.

Outside of that, budgetary issues, cost cutting. They would have to be past the final stages by now so production issues could be a problem. I don't know, does anyone live near Anna, Ohio where they are being made? Maybe pop by ;)

Either way it kinda makes me now want to just wait for a 2018 because I don't like the idea of getting into a 2017 si, and after 5 months its already 1 model year old and would have lost value rapidly.

The 2017 Si will be on the lots in June, and then in August/September the competiton will already have 2018's arriving.

Looks like Honda Done Fucked Up Real Good!

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Honda engineers were doing a rework of some sort (even rather minor)-- if they're anything like me, I have finished products that have one or two minuscule quirks that eventually drive me insane and to the point of reworking whatever it may be until the wee hours of the morning. Rev hang is something that will drive (no pun intended) me absolutely up the wall. All we can do is sit, speculate and hope. Speculation is hard considering the lack of information, but let's hope something great will come out of this. I'm excited to see what the 1.5T can really do, that's going to be absolutely fantastic in terms of weight savings and emissions.

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had my local dealership call Honda Customer Relations number today @ 1-888-9-Honda-9 and ask about their anticipated arrival/Delivery date for the Si's as I have gone twice to look at the Sport Touring Hatch that they have in stock.

I have wanted the Si for sometime, but now its crunch time and I need to buy pretty soon. I don't want to buy the sport touring (6MT -Canada Only suckers!!) and then see the Si's arrive next month.

My sales associate called and told them that he had several customers looking to put down a retainer deposit but that it was the dealers policy that they could only hold the funds for 90 days. This would entitle me to one of the first Si's to arrive at the dealership. He explained that he had no access to an order bank for the Si's and that none had been allotted to the dealer or had been available to order.

Very stealthy sales guy!!! We were put on hold and then passed through to another contact who told us that due to undisclosed circumstances with Honda North American production that we would not see any Si's at dealers in North America until Early to Mid June.

Just wanted to pass this on. Its pretty tangible info. :cry::rant:
Wait wait...hold up. We have Sport Touring models in Canada now? which dealer ship did you find them?? I need to know!

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I wouldn't be surprised if Honda engineers were doing a rework of some sort (even rather minor)-- if they're anything like me, I have finished products that have one or two minuscule quirks that eventually drive me insane and to the point of reworking whatever it may be until the wee hours of the morning. Rev hang is something that will drive (no pun intended) me absolutely up the wall. All we can do is sit, speculate and hope. Speculation is hard considering the lack of information, but let's hope something great will come out of this. I'm excited to see what the 1.5T can really do, that's going to be absolutely fantastic in terms of weight savings and emissions.
Rev hang will kill it for me. I sold a previous car after the rev hang drove me batty.

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Wait wait...hold up. We have Sport Touring models in Canada now? which dealer ship did you find them?? I need to know!
Just contact your local dealer, they can get you one. I have seen 1 in person so far. Apparantly no source has been able to correctly test the 0-60 of this model.. but the one review has it pegged at 7.8 seconds, while another review of the regular sedans handling by ProCivic was dismal. Which basically puts the Sport Touring out of the picture for me... unless someone can accurately review otherwise.

Hence holding out for this Civic Si which Honda cant seem to get to the market.
Sponsored