Civic Si 192 LB-FT Torque revealed by Honda email

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 1.5 cvt might be faster but if your after a car that is much sportier in terms of handling, brakes, sound and even steering the 2014/2015 Si is way to go.
The previous gen si is non of those though even compared to a new civic. I traded my 13 si in right after test driving a sport hatch and it is night in day how much better even the non si is. The only thing going for the previous gen si over the new non si is it has an lsd. It has way worse body roll, through corners the front end is slushy and pulling out of a corner torque still isn't there down low. Also not to mention the steering is so much lighter you cant feel any feedback from the road. The new si is a no brainer better car than a 9gen si unless your worried about money and want an si badge.
Sponsored

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
The previous gen si is non of those though even compared to a new civic. I traded my 13 si in right after test driving a sport hatch and it is night in day how much better even the non si is. The only thing going for the previous gen si over the new non si is it has an lsd. It has way worse body roll, through corners the front end is slushy and pulling out of a corner torque still isn't there down low. Also not to mention the steering is so much lighter you cant feel any feedback from the road. The new si is a no brainer better car than a 9gen si unless your worried about money and want an si badge.
Man we must of had two different cars. I had a 2014 si and my best friend has a hatch. My si would out handle that car any day stock. My steering ratio was also alot heavier. si also had 11.7 brakes vs 11inch on your sport. Don't get me wrong the sport hatch is a great car and I know in 14 9th gen si had some suspension changes and such. Maybe your si was a factory dud but mine was great

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
With due respect, you are not the norm. Most people (even those who claim to normally keep their car for decades) trade in their car after a few years, many after just a year or two.

Resale value matters . . . . even after 10 years.
The last car I sold was my '59 Ford when I graduated College and we purchased our new '68 RoadRunner.
The rest ('68 RR, '78 Dodge Van, '68 Chrysler, '66 Plymouth, '85 MR2, '89 Probe) we drove into the junk yard or had towed when they rusted and couldn't pass inspection.
We did give our '82 Mercury to our son when we bought the Probe, the Merc failed inspection about a year later.
We're currently finishing off our '98 Civic, and just getting started on our '12 Si. We intend to drive them into dust/rust or leave them in our estate.
But, we'll consider upgrading to an '18 Si or CTR - if Honda will build 'em with sensing for our road trips!

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man we must of had two different cars. I had a 2014 si and my best friend has a hatch. My si would out handle that car any day stock. My steering ratio was also alot heavier. si also had 11.7 brakes vs 11inch on your sport. Don't get me wrong the sport hatch is a great car and I know in 14 9th gen si had some suspension changes and such. Maybe your si was a factory dud but mine was great
I'm not saying my old si was a bad car. I'm saying the new civic is just that much better. yes maybe the changes after the 13 model year made a big difference but my experience is from a 13 si so I couldn't say. I'm sure I have also seen videos showing how the new gen out handles the old gen. When braking through corners the new chassis is stiffer and has a better feel than my old si too, I mean it's all my personal experience and it will differ from yours. In my opinion the old si was a large miss for Honda but I just wanted a sporty, reliable economy car and now they made a hatch that outperforms it. It's a win for me.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@201 HP this dog better get 34MPG!
That shouldn't be an issue - we're averaging 32.93 in our '12 Si, over 60k+ miles.
Seein's the '15 CTR is UK EPA'd at 38.7 mpg (32.2 for us USA'rs) I'd expect to average near 40 mpg if we had one (the Si, not the CTR)!

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm not saying my old si was a bad car. I'm saying the new civic is just that much better. yes maybe the changes after the 13 model year made a big difference but my experience is from a 13 si so I couldn't say. I'm sure I have also seen videos showing how the new gen out handles the old gen. When braking through corners the new chassis is stiffer and has a better feel than my old si too, I mean it's all my personal experience and it will differ from yours. In my opinion the old si was a large miss for Honda but I just wanted a sporty, reliable economy car and now they made a hatch that outperforms it. It's a win for me.
Most of these test were non si variants of the 9th gen civic. I agree fully that the new 10 gen is a way better design and sport hatch looks sick. From a technical side I can definitely say that the suspension, brakes and steering on 9 the gen si is better then any 10 gen out atm. Yes chassis is better and there is high strength steel used which cuts weight and such. Overall 9th gen si was a little of a miss but most people compared it to a focus st or ms3 which by the sounds of it these cars have still much more power. I think the 192 tq would be cool with me but I am disappointed that it's not in the 200s.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
IIRC, the '14 Si had some minor upgrades that helped the body roll/handling compared to the '13 Si? Maybe that's why he had a different experience than you?

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IIRC, the '14 Si had some minor upgrades that helped the body roll/handling compared to the '13 Si? Maybe that's why he had a different experience than you?
It's very possible, I never drove a 14 or 15 Si.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Actually, no. No you can't.

Check lists of best resale and most durable cars...Nissan just doesn't appear on the lists.

In my rust belt town, I see plenty of old, old Hondas, old Subies, an occasional old Toyota, and oddly old Chevy disposables like the Cavalier that look like the rust is all that's holding them together.

I never see old Nissans that aren't pampered Z cars.
I see old Nissans just as often as I see old Hondas in my area. Also those lists have nothing to do with my point.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
there's no use in going back n forth... @zx2down clearly doesn't buy cars to eventually get rid of them for a decent penny... he has so much money he can buy all of the forum members a Type R... so buying a Hyundai makes more sense to him since he gives them away after tossing them around...
Or I'm just logical and don't get rid of a car until it's dead or totalled. You know, like a financially responsible person.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
With due respect, you are not the norm. Most people (even those who claim to normally keep their car for decades) trade in their car after a few years, many after just a year or two.

Resale value matters . . . . even after 10 years.
I have never known ANYONE to say "I liked that car but I'll get less for it in 10 years." In 10 years the difference will likely be only a couple hundred dollars, and if that is a huge deal to you then you likely can't afford new payments.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Or I'm just logical and don't get rid of a car until it's dead or totalled. You know, like a financially responsible person.
This is the best way to buy new and run it for 10 years financially. I on the other hand can't keep a car for more then 2 years. People need to buy what works best for them. I respect the elantra sport and know from test driving it that its a awesome car. I am looking forward to the new Si and hope they keep the price point low like they have in the past gens.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'll share my reasoning for my interest in this car.

I feel the best car in this segment is the GTI. Not the fastest, the lightest, or the best looking. But it does everything reasonably well. Ergonomics, build quality, amenities and diving behavior are good. Decent amount of room for the family. Reliability is acceptable under 100K. For the hardcore guys, aftermarket potential is good.

The Si has the same type of appeal. Fun, efficient, and practical. It won't win awards in performance. Aftermarket support will be strong but will be somewhat limited with the 1.5's ceiling. But as a daily long term beater, it's a tough combination to beat. Honda's appeal is that it designs its cars to age very well (despite the current infotainment issues). And unlike VW, components are easier to service, on average, than their German competitors. Honda also stocks every single genuine part for at least 20 years on most models, according to a few heads I've spoken with at Torrance.

I do a lot of driving. 30K per year with the family. And my schedule is incredibly compacted with work, ball games, racing events, and traveling. I have no desire to spend 15-20K every 4 years in depreciation and taxes to swap out my cars that often. But I also refuse to drive an appliance for the daily grind. If my EM1 is any indicator, this is a car I can expect to have minimal downtime through 200K. On my MS3, at 182K, 80% of the components I've had to service were made in Germany.

Food for thought....

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I have never known ANYONE to say "I liked that car but I'll get less for it in 10 years." In 10 years the difference will likely be only a couple hundred dollars, and if that is a huge deal to you then you likely can't afford new payments.
Cars that cost the same new tend to depreciate to a similar amount, there's some truth to that. Like most $45k luxury cars after 10 years are worth $4k give or take a couple thousand, whether it's a Volvo, BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc. If it's a Lexus, probably it's worth double that.

Resale is more important in the first few years. Try selling a 1 year old GTI, you're gonna lose like $10k.