Civic Si 192 LB-FT Torque revealed by Honda email

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Hyundai Elantra sport 2017= 201hp 195 lb ft torque vs Civic SI 2017= Unknown hp 192 lb ft torque (less than elantra).

So,

Elantra sport 2017
  • More torque
  • More elegant (not boy racer look like si)
  • Probably faster
  • cheaper
  • better warranty package
  • Four door (unlike SI)
  • DCT and manual option (DCT is much faster than manual and SI doesnt have a DCT option)
  • Bigger infotainment screen
  • Better reliability based off consumer reports (honda civic got averaging worst in class)
Why buy a SI lol?
You're kidding me right? Hyundai is know for overstating power figures. I have my doubts that the sport will even outrun a 6-mt 2.0LX, and has absolutely no chance of out handling or out accelerating an SI. Equally equipped the prices are in line with the standard Civic, but we don't yet know the SI pricing. The SI has a four door as well. Worse MPG's in the Hyundai by a good margin, and far worse reliability. Consumer reports doesn't know jack about shit, they get everything wrong and consistently promote some of the worst products on the market. I guess it does have the DCT going for it if you want an automatic. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, but the Civic is gorgeous to basically everyone on this forum, while the Elantra's jellybean shape looks like a 15 year old design.

Anecdotally I put 1500 miles on an outgoing 2016 Elantra GT, and while I was mildly impressed with the scoot and poise displayed by a low end rental car from Hyundai, it axle hopped like a jackhammer several times when I put my foot just over halfway down into the throttle.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think we're getting a tad off topic. But this should reinforce the idea that it's best to withhold judgement until the test drives. :cool:

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I think we're getting a tad off topic. But this should reinforce the idea that it's best to withhold judgement until the test drives. :cool:
Just if we knew when that might be.... I'd like to see a full instrumented test by road and track, C&D or motorweek.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hyundai Elantra sport 2017= 201hp 195 lb ft torque vs Civic SI 2017= Unknown hp 192 lb ft torque (less than elantra).

So,

Elantra sport 2017
  • More torque
  • Probably faster
  • cheaper
  • Four door (unlike SI)
  • DCT and manual option (DCT is much faster than manual and SI doesnt have a DCT option)
  • Better reliability based off consumer reports (honda civic got averaging worst in class)
Why buy a SI lol?
A) Elantra is pug-ugly.
B) CR is basing their entire reliability score off of a handful of infotainment complaints
C) did you NOT see the photos of the 4 door SI?

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport 6 speed
Now I'm even happier with my HB Sport six-speed . Hondata Dyno results with Flashpro and their stage 2 map tune is 203 HP and 241fpt. I know, I know no LSD and probably some other tweaks like better seat bolsters. But I don't race and I'm just looking for a little more kick in the seat of the pants. Expect it to feel better than my 08 GTI in terms of a little push.

Last edited:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
A bit disappointed. I was hoping for at least 215tq maybe that is the true number after someone puts it in a dyno.

I hope is underrated because 192 still too low if you compare it with cars like GTI and Focus ST.

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bit disappointed. I was hoping for at least 215tq maybe that is the true number after someone puts it in a dyno.

I hope is underrated because 192 still too low if you compare it with cars like GTI and Focus ST.
It's probably a little underrated. Honda sandbagged on the HB Sport manual to the tune of about 10 HP and 10 fpt according to a number of reported Dyno results.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
What a bummer. Give us something between Si and Type R . . . . 250 hp, 250 ft.-lb, or something for $30K. I basically just want a MK7.5 GTI built by Honda, ya know. That would be perfect. 215/192 Si is a bit disappointing.

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a bummer. Give us something between Si and Type R . . . . 250 hp, 250 ft.-lb, or something for $30K. I basically just want a MK7.5 GTI built by Honda, ya know. That would be perfect. 215/192 Si is a bit disappointing.
What took me from VW to Honda was the 7K I put into the GTI 08 in repair and maintenance in the last 2 years I owned it.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Sport hatch weighed 2,868 pounds in this months Car and Driver. Focus ST weight was listed at 3,248 pounds. Hopefully the SI won't gain much weight and stay around 2,900. 350 less pounds will help offset some of the torque advantage. It was also interesting that the Sport Hatch was quicker to 100 by .3 than the last ST Focus C&D tested (2015).

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You also have to remember, MOTOR SWAPS!!!! Plus they will prob have an aftermarket LSD option for the 1.5 within the next year.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Numbers aren't everything, the Si will be quite a bit lighter and will get the power down better compared to the Focus ST because of the LSD. My money is on the Si being the faster car because of it (stock vs stock)

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, based on the "25% increase" in power and torque over the Touring, with these (assumed) underrated numbers, that puts power output at ~215 hp. If the claim that Honda underrates by 10 units power and torque, that puts the Si around 202 torque and 225 horsepower. I'm not one to dwell on numbers, though-- I just test drove a 2017 LX with the N/A 2.0 and a 6MT and had a blast. 158 horsepower? Yeah, right, Honda. Anyway, I'm excited. This is exactly what I expected from Honda and I will surely be looking more into buying an Si if it's a great value. I'm going back to the Keene dealership tomorrow to drive a '15 Si with 4,000 miles on it. That'll be quite fun! Also-- anyone in the Keene area of NH, I HIGHLY recommend Honda of Keene. I have NEVER had such great customer service (especially as an 18 year old kid walking in and testing a brand new car) and the manager is the nicest guy on the planet. As soon as I said my name was Dawson, he immediately said his middle son's name was also Dawson, and we talked for 20 minutes before and after my test drive. He WILL help you out! I'm from Buffalo, NY, and I will most certainly be driving to Keene to be purchasing my next Honda.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

So,

Elantra sport 2017
  • More torque
  • Probably faster
  • cheaper
  • Four door (unlike SI)
Why buy a SI lol?
lol folks in the vs Elantra thread disagree that the Elantra sport is a direct competitor to the SI. they are comparing it to the Touring. LMAO

omigulay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport hatchback
lol folks in the vs Elantra thread disagree that the Elantra sport is a direct competitor to the SI. they are comparing it to the Touring. LMAO
Might as well compare the civic hatchback to the veloster. SAME CLASS BRUH.
Sponsored