Civic owner's guide updated to include Si

artactive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.8E (Entry level)
Country flag
Many technician not recommend tyre repair kit once it use the foam will stick all of wheel and take some time to remove them from rim
Sponsored

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
This morning, the full owner's manual (as opposed to the concise owner's guide) was updated for the coupe and sedan with a revision date of 05/12/2017. Interestingly, this revision of the owner's manual does not contain any references to the Si model unlike the owner's guide.

EDIT: The manual now includes Si-specific features.

Last edited:

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Sorry, default should be sport. Sorry, this is a mothing f**king Civic Si, not some minivan or CR-V. Civic Si means SPORT, that's what the S stands for. Honda screwed up big time on this car.
But it's a Civic. :)

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
The tire repair kit is an interesting approach. They probably did it to save weight.
Looking at the parts diagram, it appears the Civic Si has a much more shallow "spare tire pan" than the regular Civics. Presumably this is to make room for the center-mounted mufflers of the Si rather than the outer mufflers on the standard Civic models. Looks like there may not be enough room for a spare tire.

#22 is the spare tire pan of the regular Civic, #60 is the spare tire pan of the Si:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic owner's guide updated to include Si {filename}

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
^^ dammit... I would have traded the "regular" muffler/exhaust configuration for a spare tire option any day of the week! Never understood why one would ever sacrifice utility for looks... :nono:

TheRealWizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe / 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Country flag
^^ dammit... I would have traded the "regular" muffler/exhaust configuration for a spare tire option any day of the week! Never understood why one would ever sacrifice utility for looks... :nono:
But dont all new honda come with road side assistance? So you should be good for a while anyway.

AP2SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Daily). 2006 NFR S2000 (Weekend Racer). 1992 Integra (SOLD). 2005 RSX Type-S (SOLD). 2002 Civic (SOLD)
*Utility for weight/performance

Seriously between the repair kit and this thing called auto insurance, I'm not sure why you're making such a huge deal of this. Maybe you should buy an EX. Just sayin

TheRealWizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe / 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Country flag
*Utility for weight/performance

Seriously between the repair kit and this thing called auto insurance, I'm not sure why you're making such a huge deal of this. Maybe you should buy an EX. Just sayin
I can understand where he is coming from not wanting to be stuck on the side of the road in the case that the repair kit dosent help, but i also dont think it is a huge deal either.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
You may not be able to fit a full size spare, but you might be able to fit a temporary donut. Won't know until someone gets in there. Would need to find a donut big enough to fit over the brakes.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1. Roadside assistance is nice, but it can take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to hours for a contracted tow service arrive - longer than it takes to mount a spare yourself. Manufacturers pay fixed, low rates for these services so not all towing companies are interested in taking the jobs. When they do, you'll get lower priority because they're more interested in taking better-paying calls from cash customers or insurance companies first. Roadside assistance calls are the bottom of their list. Don't be surprised if the tow truck that eventually arrives comes from a town miles away from the town you broke down in.

2. Keep a spare tire (compact or full-size) in your trunk. Not enough room? Get rid of the useless junk. Worried about the weight? Take it out when you get to the track/drag strip or go on a diet and lose 20 lbs.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
But dont all new honda come with road side assistance? So you should be good for a while anyway.
Yeah but I can replace it with a spare in about 10 minutes and keep driving, whereas assistance can take a long while...
And I just don't trust (my ability to use) the kits, it always felt like it would blow up...

i also dont think it is a huge deal either.
Yeah not a deal-breaker, but really annoying. I like to be prepared for silly things like that... having a spare allows you to be on your way very quickly, and that could be important sometimes.
Would probably have to figure out a way to carry one around I think, like @zroger73 suggests. Maybe there's enough indentation in the trunk floor for at least half of it (height-wise).

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
1. Roadside assistance is nice, but it can take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to hours for a contracted tow service arrive - longer than it takes to mount a spare yourself. Manufacturers pay fixed, low rates for these services so not all towing companies are interested in taking the jobs. When they do, you'll get lower priority because they're more interested in taking better-paying calls from cash customers or insurance companies first. Roadside assistance calls are the bottom of their list. Don't be surprised if the tow truck that eventually arrives comes from a town miles away from the town you broke down in.

2. Keep a spare tire (compact or full-size) in your trunk. Not enough room? Get rid of the useless junk. Worried about the weight? Take it out when you get to the track/drag strip or go on a diet and lose 20 lbs.
Roadside assistance doesn't do tire repairs. All it will do is put on a spare tire for you or tow you to a place that does repair, but it won't do any good if you got a flat at night.

Sure you can put in a spare in the trunk, but then you're talking about having this tire flapping in the breeze *AND* not to mention you pretty much loose all usable trunk space because now you got this dirty POS tire in the trunk. How many people are gonna track this SI seriously? The allure of the SI is it can serve as a fun, practical, and economical daily. But this SI is neither fun nor practical.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Roadside assistance doesn't do tire repairs. All it will do is put on a spare tire for you or tow you to a place that does repair, but it won't do any good if you got a flat at night.
"If your tire is severely damaged and cannot be repaired temporarily using the Tire Sealant and Inflator Kit, you are covered under the 24-Hour Assistance program for the duration of the New Car Limited Warranty. By calling the 24-Hour Assistance number (866-864-5211), help will be provided for either tire repair or towing to the nearest Honda dealership." - https://ev.owners.honda.com/Accord-Plug-In/ModelInfo/TireRepairKit

How many people are gonna track this SI seriously? The allure of the SI is it can serve as a fun, practical, and economical daily. But this SI is neither fun nor practical.
Few are likely to take an Si to the track, but those that do will be rewarded with a better driving experience and better performance compared to non-Si Civics and vehicles similar to non-Si Civics.

The Si is mostly about a sportier appearance and getting some upgrades to improve performance and handling that are covered under warranty from the factory. It is not the best vehicle for acceleration, braking, steering, comfort, ride, or efficiency. It IS a nice balance of those characteristics for a relatively low price. Not everyone wants to buy a $20,000 non-Si Civic then spend thousands more trying to make it the best in any one or more of the above categories.

Stating that the Si is neither fun nor practical is an opinion - one that is likely to be in the minority. Neither you nor any of us has driven one yet. There is no reason the Si won't be at least as fun as a non-Si Civic and will almost certainly be more so. Counter to your opinion, I believe the Si is extremely practical. It takes the already-good non-Si Civic to the next level. The Miata and S2000 are impractical - they're noisy and can only hold two people, but people still love them.

Sure, there are better performing cars than the Si, but how many can you name that are as economical, reliable, and practical for use as a daily driver?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
"If your tire is severely damaged and cannot be repaired temporarily using the Tire Sealant and Inflator Kit, you are covered under the 24-Hour Assistance program for the duration of the New Car Limited Warranty. By calling the 24-Hour Assistance number (866-864-5211), help will be provided for either tire repair or towing to the nearest Honda dealership." - https://ev.owners.honda.com/Accord-Plug-In/ModelInfo/TireRepairKit
Read the fine print. It says *or*. I bet 9 out of 10 times they will take the *or* option. Plus 1) google tire puncture sealant and you will find many cons. 2) you're on your own after 3yr/36K miles.

The Si is mostly about a sportier appearance and getting some upgrades to improve performance and handling that are covered under warranty from the factory. It is not the best vehicle for acceleration, braking, steering, comfort, ride, or efficiency. It IS a nice balance of those characteristics for a relatively low price. Not everyone wants to buy a $20,000 non-Si Civic then spend thousands more trying to make it the best in any one or more of the above categories.
When was the SI ever about sportier "appearance"? Before this SI, it had much bigger engine than the standard Civic. It was marketed as the performance Civic.

Sure, there are better performing cars than the Si, but how many can you name that are as economical, reliable, and practical for use as a daily driver?
Well no there're no better performing cars that are as economical than this SI. But it's like saying there're there're no better performing cars as economical as the Civic. There's no free lunch. You want performance, then the "economic" has to suffer. I think the GTI, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, WRX are all much better performing and fun cars and are just as reliable and economical enough.

Everything we know so far: same engine as CRV, only slight HP and torque increase over standard Civic, same transmission and shifter (which owners are complaining as meh...) as the standard Civic, 205HP/192lb-ft, all points to crappy fun factor. Yeah it has LSD. But if you need the LSD on the street, then I think you need to check into a mental hospital because you're endangering everybody on the road. Yeah it has adaptive dampers. But it's only 205/192. How many BRZ/86 owners are happy with the power their cars are putting down? 0.000001%? Lol... We all know, "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". The quote must have been invented by Honda Civic owners.:lol:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
As an owner of a high HP, low production FWD hatch; I welcome what the Si offers. Practicality, fun, reliability, and good efficiency for the family. All in a package that won't break the bank.

The most frustrating part of the long term ownership is knowing that parts on some limited production trims aren't readily available. They're often special order or dealer only, depending on what's needed. I don't see that being as big of an issue with the 10th Gen Si.

Would have loved to have seen 220+ on this car. But as a high mileage family hauler, it's something I can live without. Providing test drive goes as expected.
Sponsored