Civic owner's guide updated to include Si

sev1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Honda Accord V6 6sp
Country flag
I think it's a very smart move on Honda's part. Most of the time, most Si owners will be driving from point A to point B on public roadways with other traffic in a safe and legal manner. Occasionally, some of them will want to enjoy the curvy backroads or engage in some friendly competition in a sanctioned area. A few will drive like idiots everywhere they go trying to race every car they pull up beside at a traffic light. For the majority, it's nice to have a comfortable setting for relaxed, easy driving and a less comfortable setting for sharper handling during spirited or competitive driving.

I do agree that it should be a persistent setting that doesn't default one way or another each time the car is shut off - just like ECON mode.
I think the thing to keep in mind is the "standard" setting in the Si should be sportier than the base Civic. It's got a completely different suspension so the base mode should be noticeably sportier.
Sponsored

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
...or at least make it remember the last setting, instead of defaulting to non-sport. Maybe Honda did some good research that supports that decision, but I really think the vast majority of people buying the Si will use that mode as their daily default. Regardless though, remembering the last setting would have been a really easy and good solution for this issue... Oh well.:nono:

Maybe that'll be an easy-enough tweak, or even something buried somewhere in the "hidden"/system settings...

Yeah it's a minor gripe and likely something I'll get used to quickly enough, but man it's just really annoying. Plus I'm afraid that button will eventually wear out, since it's probably not designed to be pressed as frequently as some others like 'Start', etc. (?)

Last edited:

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
They should let the customer decide if it's persistent or not. Out of the box, they could set it to not persist, but have a menu option to change it to persist. If someone really wants to drive in Sport mode all the time then let them.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
...or at least make it remember the last setting, instead of defaulting to non-sport. Maybe Honda did some good research that supports that decision, but I really think the vast majority of people buying the Si will use that mode as their daily default. Regardless though, remembering the last setting would have been a really easy and good solution for this issue... Oh well.:nono:

Maybe that'll be an easy-enough tweak, or even something buried somewhere in the "hidden"/system settings...

Yeah it's a minor gripe and likely something I'll get used to quickly enough, but man it's just really annoying. Plus I'm afraid that button will eventually wear out, since it's probably not designed to be pressed as frequently as some others like 'Start', etc. (?)
I would leave it in sport mode even if I'm running errands! :D Honda should have asked us first. ;)

As @sev1 said, I like the idea of the standard setting in the Si being sportier than the non-Si Civics. I'm sure even the default is sportier than the rest of the Civics, though. To what degree, who knows. Having an option buried in the menu is definitely a possibility.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I'm sure even the default is sportier than the rest of the Civics, though. To what degree, who knows.
Yeah that's definitely a big unknown - how stiff these modes are, both in relation to one another and to, say, a Sport Hatch...
(The good news is that we'll probably have a good idea about that within the next month, as the reviews start coming out. :))

sev1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Honda Accord V6 6sp
Country flag
In addition to adaptive dampers, suspension upgrades include stiffer spring rates, more rigid stabilizer bars (+30 percent front, +60percent rear), solid front and rear compliance bushings, and ultra-rigid front upper control arms shared with the Civic Type R.
This is straight from the Honda press release. Combination of stiffer springs and bars alone will make it feel more sporty. Adding the solid bushings should make another difference as well.

My BMW has modes and I hear you guys, i wish I could just select the default mode. I do think the normal Si mode is gonna be good in terms of suspension. Just hope the throttle response is sharp. The BMW is a bit laggy.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is straight from the Honda press release. Combination of stiffer springs and bars alone will make it feel more sporty. Adding the solid bushings should make another difference as well.

My BMW has modes and I hear you guys, i wish I could just select the default mode. I do think the normal Si mode is gonna be good in terms of suspension. Just hope the throttle response is sharp. The BMW is a bit laggy.
Things like original sportiness and how much sportier does the sport button make.... are my "feel" questions for the test drive.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Just hope the throttle response is sharp. The BMW is a bit laggy.
I've never owned a turbocharged vehicle. I did drive an old, worn-out Chrysler Conquest years ago that had a 2.6L turbocharged 4-cylinder that had absolutely awful turbo lag. I swear it took a good 2-3 seconds before the engine made any amount of power. Worse, it did so unpredictably (likely because the car had problems) - I never knew when it was going to take off. That experience alone turned me off of turbochargers. I'm sure they've come a long ways since then. :)

Things like original sportiness and how much sportier does the sport button make.... are my "feel" questions for the test drive.
I remember test driving a new, early-90s Buick Skylark Gran Sport that had adjustable suspension with "soft" and "firm" settings. The soft setting felt like the wheels were made of toasted marshmallows just before they start to melt - typical of a Buick. The firm setting resulted in a teeth-shattering ride sure enough, but there was no improvement in handling - if anything, it made handling worse.

sev1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Honda Accord V6 6sp
Country flag
I've never owned a turbocharged vehicle. I did drive an old, worn-out Chrysler Conquest years ago that had a 2.6L turbocharged 4-cylinder that had absolutely awful turbo lag. I swear it took a good 2-3 seconds before the engine made any amount of power. Worse, it did so unpredictably (likely because the car had problems) - I never knew when it was going to take off. That experience alone turned me off of turbochargers. I'm sure they've come a long ways since then. :)
On the BMW it's not so much turbo Lag that's the issue. The throttle response isn't super crisp unless you go into sport mode. Like when you hit the gas pedal, there's maybe a quarter second delay before the throttle responds. If you go to sport mode the response is instant. I hope that's not something that you need to be in sport mode for on the Si.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I really think the vast majority of people buying the Si will use that mode as their daily default.
My experience with the GTI suggests many will keep the mode off unless the environment call for it. The tighter steering can get a bit annoying on the hwy. Every little twinge from the wheel telegraphs to unwanted weaving in the lane. :mad:

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the BMW it's not so much turbo Lag that's the issue. The throttle response isn't super crisp unless you go into sport mode. Like when you hit the gas pedal, there's maybe a quarter second delay before the throttle responds. If you go to sport mode the response is instant. I hope that's not something that you need to be in sport mode for on the Si.
My experience with the GTI suggests many will keep the mode off unless the environment call for it. The tighter steering can get a bit annoying on the hwy. Every little twinge from the wheel telegraphs to unwanted weaving in the lane. :mad:
These are very interesting points because I can see how annoying a bad throttle response would be for me, too. At the same time, long highway driving should not be uncomfortable in a vehicle like the Si. My curiosity is piquing to find out to what degree Honda has decided to set default on such things.

Inertiaman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Mazda 3 i Touring Hatchback
Country flag
These are very interesting points because I can see how annoying a bad throttle response would be for me, too. At the same time, long highway driving should not be uncomfortable in a vehicle like the Si. My curiosity is piquing to find out to what degree Honda has decided to set default on such things.
From the fact guide:

When Civic Si drivers push the SPORT button, three systems respond to take the performance experience to a higher, more exhilarating level.

• All four adaptive dampers make the ride firmer, reducing body roll and allowing greater cornering precision.
  • The electric power steering system (EPS) becomes firmer as well, rewarding the driver with greater feedback
  • The Drive-by-Wire throttle system mapping software trades smoothness for a more direct link between throttle application and induction-system responsiveness.

Not sure exactly how that's going to translate to the experience on the road, that'll be something found out in the test drive :)

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I still have a feeling I'll be in Sport mode all the time (except for when I have passengers maybe), but yeah, only a test drive will tell for sure. Can't wait

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the fact guide:

When Civic Si drivers push the SPORT button, three systems respond to take the performance experience to a higher, more exhilarating level.

• All four adaptive dampers make the ride firmer, reducing body roll and allowing greater cornering precision.
  • The electric power steering system (EPS) becomes firmer as well, rewarding the driver with greater feedback
  • The Drive-by-Wire throttle system mapping software trades smoothness for a more direct link between throttle application and induction-system responsiveness.

Not sure exactly how that's going to translate to the experience on the road, that'll be something found out in the test drive :)
I want to feel it with my own hands, arms, and feet! I'm hoping my dealer will let me go on a longer test drive to try both modes enough and feel the differences while driving. 5 minutes on each mode ain't a test drive! By the time you get out of traffic enough to test it, your 5 minutes is over. :p

Last edited: