Civic owner's guide updated to include Si

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Honda posted the latest revision to the Civic owner's guides revised 5/2/17 which have been updated to include the Si.

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Civic-Sedan/manuals

Included in the revised guides are Si-specific information such as:
  • SPORT mode (defaults to OFF each time you turn off the car)
  • Additional driver information interface items: Accelerator position/braking pressure indicator, rev indicators, G-meter, stopwatch
  • Shift Up Backlight (ambient meter blinks near redline)
  • 91 octane gasoline is recommended
  • non-adjustable head restraints
  • volume bar on the steering wheel does not slide
  • warning against using summer tires in temperatures lower than 45°F (7°C)
  • different spark plugs (NGK ILZKAR8J8SY - same as the CR-V)
  • a tire repair kit may replace the compact spare (the specifications chart is confusing)
  • tire chains not recommended for summer or all-season tires
Sponsored

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The tire repair kit is an interesting approach. They probably did it to save weight.

Glad to see they are also getting rid of the volume slider. I expect that will be replicated on all EX & above trims for MY 2018.

WNCSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
So is the volume on the steering wheel a click? Or is it a touch button? Unsure of how to read that.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Honda posted the latest revision to the Civic owner's guides revised 5/2/17 which have been updated to include the Si.

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Civic-Sedan/manuals
  • SPORT mode (resets to off when you turn off the car)
Arrrrgh!! It's an Si, not a Camry! :banghead:
  • +/- "volume" bar on the steering wheel does not "slide" like the non-Si models
Why?! How bizarre...
  • warning against using summer tires in less than 45°F (7°C)
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present... the most useful feature in automotive history!! :rolleyes: :crazy:
  • tire repair kit instead of compact spare
WHAT. THE. HELL.
PLEASE someone tell me this is not true.
This was one of the things that turned me off from Golf R...

:cry::nono::doh::rant::flame:

Last edited:
OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So is the volume on the steering wheel a click? Or is it a touch button? Unsure of how to read that.
I'm not sure if the "touch bar" has been replaced with a "rocker switch" or if it remains a "touch bar" with the "slide" feature removed. The owner's guide says:

+ / - bar: Press the ends of the bar or slide to adjust audio volume. On models with SPORT mode, press the ends of the bar to adjust audio volume.
EDIT: An interior photo of an Si at the NYIAS clearly shows ridges on the volume bar just like the non-Si models. Perhaps Honda are using the same component and simply disabled the slide feature or they made a last-minute change to a rocker switch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic owner's guide updated to include Si volume bar

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Glad to see they are also getting rid of the volume slider. I expect that will be replicated on all EX & above trims for MY 2018.
Never used a volume slider, seemed like a neat feature from reading about it but wasn't sure...
Why do you think it's a good decision?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's a touch. The issue is that if you attempt to do a gesture on the screen near the volume slider, you can inadvertently go to max volume in less than a second. Now if you hit it, it should only goes up a notch or two.

Should help reduce distractions for our novice drivers.

EDIT: Misread the title lol. On the steering wheel... that's more "meh" to me.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
It's a touch. The issue is that if you attempt to do a gesture on the screen near the volume slider, you can inadvertently go to max volume in less than a second. Now if you hit it, it should only goes up a notch or two.

Should help reduce distractions for our novice drivers.
This sounds like the case for the 7" touch screen as well, when browsing through files.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic owner's guide updated to include Si Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 2.03.15 PM

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
My only hope, a fading one though, is that the Si falls under the #4 category and will have the spare:

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic owner's guide updated to include Si upload_2017-5-8_15-15-44

If it doesn't... and there's no easy way to put one in... that might be a deal breaker. I don't want to get stranded and call AAA with a flat just because they wanted to shed a few extra pounds of weight. That should have been at least an option!

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Actually doesn't the Touring Sport trim have the 'Sport' mode? Maybe the Si isn't affected by this documentation at all?

Inertiaman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Mazda 3 i Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Actually doesn't the Touring Sport trim have the 'Sport' mode? Maybe the Si isn't affected by this documentation at all?
But that would be in the HB right? And this is the sedan manual so Sport Mode should only apply to the Si.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Si sedan and coupe: SPORT mode button
Type-R hatchback: COMFORT/SPORT/+R mode button
All other sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks: ECON mode button

Note: Models with a CVT have an "S" (sport) position on the shift lever that is used for "better acceleration", increased engine braking, or driving in hilly terrain. All it does is holds the CVT in a lower gear ratio. The SPORT mode on the Si opens the throttle more with less pedal movement, reduces power steering assist, and firms up the suspension.

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
The lack of audio volume sliders, are there more buttons on the SI than other models? Maybe they ran out of inputs on the SI's audio system?
Sponsored