Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Automobile has just named their 2017 AUTOMOBILE All-Stars and among the six all-stars is the Civic Hatchback Sport!

See all six 2017 AUTOMOBILE All-Stars @ http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2017-automobile-magazine-all-stars/

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Hatchback Sport wins AUTOMOBILE Magazine 2017 All-Star Award Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Sport-2017-All-Star-Winner-front-three-quarter-in-motion

Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Baby’s Come Back: More utility, better platform, and improved overall performance pay off

The arrival of a new Honda Civic is always kind of, you know, momentous. Ever since it first appeared in 1972 with its 50-horsepower, 40-mpg CVCC engine, the Civic has made it possible for car enthusiasts like us to embrace clean air and socially responsible practicality without losing our souls. Sure, we’re impressed that the Civic is always one of the most popular cars in America, and it reached the highest sales volume in the model’s 44-year history during 2016 with 366,927 examples sold. But what matters is that the all-new, 10th-generation model is fun to drive even as it delivers solid fuel economy.

Honda engineers might be among the nerdiest on the planet, but with the 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport, they tried hard to transform the Civic into something that even the young and dumb like us can appreciate. By stretching the wheelbase of the Civic’s new platform to 106.3 inches, they created not just a more spacious passenger package with 97.2 cubic feet of passenger volume here in the four-door Hatch but also a more poised platform for serious driving. The Civic Hatch Sport also reflects the reawakened appreciation for the utility delivered by hatchbacks, a configuration Honda has always promoted, with 22.6 cubic feet of cargo volume. And it delivers a new kind of Honda performance with a 180-horsepower, 1.5-liter turbocharged engine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Hatchback Sport wins AUTOMOBILE Magazine 2017 All-Star Award Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Sport-2017-All-Star-Winner-rear-three-quarter-in-motion-01

Whether you’re a fan of the wannabe Type R-look, $22,000 is a screaming deal for this much competence, fun, and personality.

On the slopes of Mount Charleston, our drivers were quick to appreciate the Civic Hatchback’s unique appeal. “This is the Civic we’ve been waiting for in the U.S. for a long time,” Jurnecka said. “Built in the same factory in England where the awesome Civic Type R comes from, the Hatch Sport is very good dynamically — excellent road manners with a comfortable though taut ride.” Executive editor Mac Morrison added: “This is a revelation. Great steering feel, great handling, and a smooth manual gearbox make for about three times more fun than you might expect just seeing this car drive past you on the road.” And Ireson said: “Honda hasn’t lost its magic. Instead, it apparently just decided not to use it except on the Civic Hatchback Sport. The turbocharged engine is powerfully elastic yet revvy, and the chassis is balanced and fun to drive at any speed.” Pilgrim concluded: “Giggle factor off the charts, and yet I also got 37.8 mpg driving it back to L.A.”

We predictably liked the car’s interior, especially the hugely expansive forward field of view of 84.3 degrees. “Packaged very nicely with good head- and legroom both front and rear, plus generous cargo room,” Jurnecka said. Contributor Marc Noordeloos noted the comfortable driving position. Unfortunately, our admiration doesn’t extend to the exterior. “Sure is a strange-looking car,” contributor Ronald Ahrens said. Smith chimed in, “If there is an uglier car from the rear, I haven’t seen it — nor would I want to.” Wasef observed, “Something out of ‘The Transformers,’ the Saturday-morning cartoon version.”

Design lashings aside, the Civic Hatch Sport is a new favorite of ours. Lassa put into perspective why we named it an All-Star: “The new Civic remains best in class, combining the Mazda3’s appetite for twisty roads with refinement and comfort. This is a car I’d consider buying with my own money.”

– Michael Jordan

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great car, didn't need article I already bought it!