Civic Hatchback EX CVT

bg2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
I was really excited to get the Civic Hatchback EX, but test drove one for a while yesterday and was surprised by the CVT--it felt like it masked the feeling of the turbo.

How has your experience been transitioning to the CVT? Did it feel a lot less sporty to you? The Civic is a lot of car, I just felt like I wasn't experiencing it due to the CVT.
Sponsored

SonicTurbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback w/ Honda Sensing, 2013 Mazda MX-5 GT
While I generally prefer manual transmissions for the additional control and driver involvement that they offer, for the purpose that I bought this car (daily driver/commuter with a fun side) I've been pleasantly surprised with the CVT. When you give it some throttle, the engine will rev right up to the sweet spot of the powerband and the CVT will hold it there for smooth, continuous acceleration. Did you try "S" mode? "S" mode holds the revs higher for a sportier feeling.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I was really excited to get the Civic Hatchback EX, but test drove one for a while yesterday and was surprised by the CVT--it felt like it masked the feeling of the turbo.

How has your experience been transitioning to the CVT? Did it feel a lot less sporty to you? The Civic is a lot of car, I just felt like I wasn't experiencing it due to the CVT.
The masking indicates better integration, imo. You might have previous turbo experience. I am a turbo newb and I feel the thrust of the turbo as it is both linear and very jolty and quick to develop. And you can see the meter where it illuminates the bars to indicate turbo spool/use.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
This was how I felt when I test drove the Touring and Hatchback.
On the other hand, the Si was completely different, maybe because of the 6MT.
Sponsored