Civic Hatchback - Audio Questions

Grimtast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Hello. I am 1 month into leasing a new 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring. I am absolutely in love with the car, but have noticed a couple quirks about some things that I was hoping to have answered here. I searched all through the internet and CivicX before posting, so hopefully you guys can help me out! Thanks in advance.

1. My Google Play songs on my Verizon Galaxy Note 5 (via bluetooth) lag when skipping songs. I have to wait for each song to get about 7 seconds in before I can change songs again (via either steering wheel or the Track button on the Display Audio). It's like the car needs to catch up to the fact that the phone changed songs before it registers my request to skip again. Any ideas how to reduce this irritating lag? It takes way too long just to skip even 5 songs. This wouldn't be so bad, were it not for my second problem...

2. I can't see my list of bluetooth songs in the dashboard nor the Display Audio. The manual states that when the dash is on the music menu, you can hit Enter on the steering wheel and see the list of songs you're in. I know this works, because it displays flawlessly with Sirius. But with bluetooth, I get a "01 No Title" in my dash when I hit Enter while my music is playing [Pic 1], and a simply blank screen when I go to expand the song list on the Display Audio [Pic 2]. How can I make my current bluetooth playlist show up?

3. I have no idea how to fine-tune the audio settings for what I listen to. Unfortunately, I can't be too specific with my settings, due to the fact that I listen to multiple genres. Still, was wondering if there is a nice sweet spot for the Middle and Treble sliders for this sweet Sport Touring audio system. Or, perhaps right smack dab in the middle really is the best? [Pic 3]

4. Lastly, my front tweeters sound a bit scratchy, especially when instrumentals are playing pretty loud. Is this due to the system not being fully burned-in because the car is so new, or is it an unfortunate side effect of this not being the type of high-quality audio system you'd find in luxury cars? I think the scratchiness has gone down over time, but I could just be getting used to it.

Thank you so much for your help! I love this car. Sure beats the 1998 CR-V I left behind!
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I can't answer 1, but 2 is most likely an mp3 tag issue. Is it like that for every single song you have, and did you rip them yourself from CD's?

For 3, I had +1 middle and +2 treble and +5 bass.

For 4, the tweeters are shit.

OP
OP
Grimtast

Grimtast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
I can't answer 1, but 2 is most likely an mp3 tag issue. Is it like that for every single song you have, and did you rip them yourself from CD's?

For 3, I had +1 middle and +2 treble and +5 bass.

For 4, the tweeters are shit.
For issue #1, can you please tell me if you experience any lag when you change tracks while bluetooth streaming? I think the issue may be my phone, especially since I see nobody else on the internet talking about this. It shouldn't switch songs so slowly. For #2, no, all of my songs are genuine and bought from Google Play. I agree, it seems to be a tagging metadata issue... the weird thing is, the Audio screen displays all correct metadata tag info on the Display Audio; the only thing I can't get to work is for my list of songs to show up when I go to expand. For #3, thanks, I will try your config! For #4, yeah, I was afraid of that. Maybe it'll continue to get less noticeable.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
For issue #1, can you please tell me if you experience any lag when you change tracks while bluetooth streaming? I think the issue may be my phone, especially since I see nobody else on the internet talking about this. It shouldn't switch songs so slowly. For #2, no, all of my songs are genuine and bought from Google Play. I agree, it seems to be a tagging metadata issue... the weird thing is, the Audio screen displays all correct metadata tag info on the Display Audio; the only thing I can't get to work is for my list of songs to show up when I go to expand. For #3, thanks, I will try your config! For #4, yeah, I was afraid of that. Maybe it'll continue to get less noticeable.
1. I steam from my phone via bluetooth, and there's no lag. Phone is Oneplus 3T. However, the steering wheel controls don't work at all. Gotta reach to the screen like a peasant haha
2. There's some interface issues with the DI and the touchscreen. I have somewhat similar issues where files that are correctly tagged in Korea will sometimes display correctly on the big screen, and not on the instrument cluster. Some songs are vice versa. Not enough to bother me but it does exist. Donno what the fix is haha
3. Give it a try. Also note that if you're streaming from phone, whatever music player you're using will have its own EQ. And usually they offer far better customizability than just bass/mid/treble.
4. Yeah...they are shit. I'd look into replacing just the tweeters - there are a few threads on this.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I have a Nexus 6P on Android 7.1.2 (stock), and streaming works fine over BT streaming and Android Auto as well. I only use Google Play Music, and it works fine for my music stored on my phone (which is tagged properly), and for streaming songs on Google Play Music through the subscription. Just out of curiosity, have you tried Android Auto? Maybe it works better?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
4. Lastly, my front tweeters sound a bit scratchy, especially when instrumentals are playing pretty loud. Is this due to the system not being fully burned-in because the car is so new, or is it an unfortunate side effect of this not being the type of high-quality audio system you'd find in luxury cars? I think the scratchiness has gone down over time, but I could just be getting used to it.
Yeah, it's just your brain getting used to it. The idea of speaker "burn-in" has been debunked. It's just them being crappy tweeters that only cost $15.
Sponsored