Civic 2016 EX-T (3 weeks) Sluggish performance, Surging, Engine Noise.

ktbanh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T Sedan
Hi everyone,

I'm new on the forums but been browsing a bit since I got the car. I've recently started having problems when driving in normal traffic and rush hour traffic. The car seems to jolt when going between 0-10mph. It surges up at random times between 0-1 indicator.

The brakes is also scary to use considering going around 30-40mph it seems like its worn for a three week old car. I lightly use the brakes but there's quite a stopping distance (at least 3-4 cars ahead before I can stop)

Today, I notice the performance was extremely sluggish it took awhile to speed up from 30-40. I'm not hard on the pedal either.

I read up on how there is an emerging issue with the calibration and resetting the battery does help some people. However, those are indicated for people driving 50-70 mph. Mine is below that.

Does anyone else have these issues when driving in rush hour/normal traffic?

I'm considering taking it to a dealer this Friday. I've been busy with work and the dealership here for some odd reason does not do diagnostics on the weekend when I'm off.

EDIT:

Similar issues with this thread: http://www.civicx.com/threads/possible-cvt-issue.1289/page-5
Sponsored

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm considering taking it to a dealer this Friday. I've been busy with work and the dealership here for some odd reason does not do diagnostics on the weekend when I'm off.
Sounds like you have to get it in. Soon. Performance issues coupled with brake issue could indicate a vacuum leak or similar. This is a safety risk and you shouldn't mess with it. Keep us posted.

They probably limit what they offer for Saturday service because of limited staffing and high demand. The mechanics probably aren't eager to work the weekend.

OP
OP

ktbanh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll note them to be safe.

My engine sound a bit like this but more crisp with the fluttering around 26-30 sec. (Not sure if this is normal sound to the new Civic) It was very quiet before when I first bought it and never had a reason to open.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
Check ALL the hose clamps on the intake piping. Due to this car being a turbo, if you have a loose connection, you could have a leak. This will cause the turbo to over-spool. I found a loose connection myself, as did another member of the forums. Mine hadn't caused any issues because I checked I after seeing his post. I can't recall who it was.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
After reading about loose hose clamps I checked all my intercooler connections and they were good to go.
I've found the brakes on this car to be very strong it doesn't take much to modulate them.

OP
OP

ktbanh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm at the Honda dealer now. Got them to test drive, will also try the service bulletin update for the 1.5t turbo jolting. Notified them to check for any loose clamps. They agree to also do a battery reset.

I'll post any updates when its done and I've tested driven the vehicle. Hopefully this will fix the issues.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

chucky2141

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 1998 Honda Civic DX
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I'm new on the forums but been browsing a bit since I got the car. I've recently started having problems when driving in normal traffic and rush hour traffic. The car seems to jolt when going between 0-10mph. It surges up at random times between 0-1 indicator.

The brakes is also scary to use considering going around 30-40mph it seems like its worn for a three week old car. I lightly use the brakes but there's quite a stopping distance (at least 3-4 cars ahead before I can stop)

Today, I notice the performance was extremely sluggish it took awhile to speed up from 30-40. I'm not hard on the pedal either.

I read up on how there is an emerging issue with the calibration and resetting the battery does help some people. However, those are indicated for people driving 50-70 mph. Mine is below that.

Does anyone else have these issues when driving in rush hour/normal traffic?

EDIT:

Similar issues with this thread: http://www.civicx.com/threads/possible-cvt-issue.1289/page-5
My Car is doing the exact same thing. I am also having Huge problems with my infotainment system for the 3rd time. This car has been horrible so far. I am taking my car in for the 1st oil change and they will also be looking at the jolting and the infotainment system.

Have you discovered anything that has been causing the issue with yours?
Email me at [email protected]

OP
OP

ktbanh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I requested that they checked my engine for loose clamps, or anything suspicious.

- They did not document or noted anything.

I told them about the battery reset and requested that they perform it.

- They performed the reset per customer request.

I notified them of the ex-t surging issue with the bulletin.

- they checked and supposedly installed the update. I haven't verified this myself yet (or know how)

The brakes were very responsive after, havent had the jolt yet, and it feels smoother.

However due to my car having its windshield replaced (very bad luck). Ive been leaving my car at home and will for another few days.

Once I start driving it for a full week or two I'll report back on any updates or if the problem persists.

I assumune it is related to the computer learning values to calibrate.

chucky2141

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I requested that they checked my engine for loose clamps, or anything suspicious.

- they checked and supposedly installed the update. I haven't verified this myself yet (or know how)

The brakes were very responsive after, havent had the jolt yet, and it feels smoother.

However due to my car having its windshield replaced (very bad luck). Ive been leaving my car at home and will for another few days.

Once I start driving it for a full week or two I'll report back on any updates or if the problem persists.

Thank you. I will let my Honda dealership know about all this and see what they have to say. If they tell me anything different, I will let you know.

chucky2141

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Any update on how the car is driving in regard to the surging/jolting issue?
I just dropped my car off at the dealership to have them take a look at it for the same issue.

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Accord -> '16 WOP Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I have the jolting issue as well. When I'm at a complete stop, I give my car a little gas and the car seems to jolt a bit then go back to normal.
Sponsored