First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Hopefully I'm not double posting here! Enjoy!!
Anxious to see if he'll take the car to a track in a future video!
The only thing he liked, really was how planted it was for a FWD and not needing a RWD.

He hated:

1. inability to choose the drive setting modes like on german cars. this was a first for me to hear but it makes sense, so much sense, doesn't it. for north of 35k
2. styling was ghastly and "leary" for the price. i have heard this countless times but again, i didn't pay north of 35k for my version minus the engine and I got over it.
3. interior. he said it is too busy don't know what he hated about it but he hated the interior which was a first for me to hear. again the 35,000 north price has much plastic? 21,4 OTD w/ HS w/o negotiations for mine so no clue.

Scuttlebutt here and <no homo, btw> but Harris made me feel better with his cool personality and demeanor. Probably the best personality on a white man I have ever seen. Man they don't make them like that anymore, do they.

Last edited:

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
The only thing he liked, really was how planted it was for a FWD and not needing a RWD.

He hated:

1. inability to choose the drive setting modes like on german cars. this was a first for me to hear but it makes sense, so much sense, doesn't it. for north of 35k
2. styling was ghastly and "leary" for the price. i have heard this countless times but again, i didn't pay north of 35k for my version minus the engine and I got over it.
3. interior. he said it is too busy don't know what he hated about it but he hated the interior which was a first for me to hear. again the 35,000 north price has much plastic? 21,4 OTD w/ HS w/o negotiations for mine so no clue.

Scuttlebutt here and <no homo, btw> but Harris made me feel better with his cool personality and demeanor. Probably the best personality on a white man I have ever seen. Man they don't make them like that anymore, do they.
I think he's down on the interior because he's driven the Golf R which has an interior that's far superior. He says at the end; "Is the Civic's dynamic advantage over a Golf R enough to overcome this cabin and these exterior looks? I don't think so." Basically saying for all the CTR's performance advantages it's not a better overall car than the Golf R. That's his opinion though and most Honda fans obviously don't care that the R is a better all around car because they are set on a Type R.

I haven't sat in a Type R but I have the new SI and IMO it's a pretty mediocre interior. Not terrible but not any better than a WRX/STI interior which is a pretty mediocre interior in itself. Plain in a lot of areas and the appliance of a lot of grainy plastic. VW is using a lot of parts bin Audi parts with the Golf R so I don't expect Honda to compete head on with that car for quality but they need to look at what Mazda is doing for interiors in this segment as the Mazda 3 interior looks much more classy and has the apperance nicer materials.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lgd251

lgd251

First Name
LG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R 2017
Vehicle Showcase
In all, I agree with his thinking though. It's all about function over fashion!

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
In all, I agree with his thinking though. It's all about function over fashion!
But he hates all the exterior and interior "fashion" as if he has never seen fake vents before.

OP
OP
lgd251

lgd251

First Name
LG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R 2017
Vehicle Showcase
But he hates all the exterior and interior "fashion" as if he has never seen fake vents before.
Yes he's not very fond of the "boy racer" look. But if you disregard this, his comments on the performance of the car is flattering for Honda.
Moreover, if you've been following this guy for the last couple of years, you know he's not making videos to discuss and comment on the looks of cars. He's all about track, performance and more track!

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Idc . I just know I wouldn't pay 34775 even for a loaded golf R.

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport, 6MT, Sonic Gray
Country flag
Blocked by copyright. BBC Worldwide

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
It is beyond tedious to hear reviewers bitch about the exterior being 'boy racer'

I think its one of those things that ls pointless to talk about in a review. People will make up their own mind as to whether or not something looks good. It confuses me what purpose that serves at all.

Reactions: jks

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
It is beyond tedious to hear reviewers bitch about the exterior being 'boy racer'

I think its one of those things that ls pointless to talk about in a review. People will make up their own mind as to whether or not something looks good. It confuses me what purpose that serves at all.
I've seen a few videos where the appearance has been the main, or only, thing the reviewer didn't really like, and as a result said that it was a bad car because "only a teenager" would want to drive one or some such nonsense. Of course everyone's entitled to have an opinion, but appearance is totally subjective so the most you can say is that you personally don't like it / wouldn't buy it because of the way it looks, which is fine but that doesn't make it a bad car. As it happens I'm 60 years old so not exactly a boy racer, but my CTR just arrived at the dealer and I'm totally happy with the way it looks.
:thumbsup:

I'm not so happy that the dealer just told me they can't get the car ready for me to collect for another ten days, but that's a different story.
:banghead:

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I've seen a few videos where the appearance has been the main, or only, thing the reviewer didn't really like, and as a result said that it was a bad car because "only a teenager" would want to drive one or some such nonsense. Of course everyone's entitled to have an opinion, but appearance is totally subjective so the most you can say is that you personally don't like it / wouldn't buy it because of the way it looks, which is fine but that doesn't make it a bad car. As it happens I'm 60 years old so not exactly a boy racer, but my CTR just arrived at the dealer and I'm totally happy with the way it looks.
:thumbsup:

I'm not so happy that the dealer just told me they can't get the car ready for me to collect for another ten days, but that's a different story.
:banghead:
Another type-r hostage situation ?

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read the TopGear magazine review of the CTR and that reviewer loved it, but did give the VW the nod on looking sophisticated compared to the CTR.

From the context, it sounds like wanting a sophisticated look is a British thing.

To me, the Golf is just boring looking. I will grant the interior has some nicer looking materials, I disagree that it's laid out better than the Honda's.

But I don't want a boring car. I want the HotWheels look. I love how my regular Civic stands out in any parking lot, and the CTR is that turned to 11.

I must disagree with some of you. I hate the Mazda interiors. They look like they copied BMW's homework on Toyota's paper. It's not the Subaru's "plastic coffin of despair" which is R&T's description of the STi interior, but it's close.

OP
OP
lgd251

lgd251

First Name
LG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R 2017
Vehicle Showcase

In his video, Chris said he was not fond of the looks, but that it was not his to say. To be honest, what should be highlighted from his comments is everything else. From the best transmission in the industry, to the impressive way of this FWD car to put down 300hp and work amazingly well. Chris has seen and driven tons of very high profile cars (and is a very reputable track driver). Coming from him, the comments are significantly interesting if you ask me.

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda CR-Z & 2006 Honda S2000
Country flag
Great review if you ask me! He obviously has some subjectivity when it comes to the overall aesthetic, but when it comes down to the mechanical bits he has nothing but good things to say. Much better than some of the other reviews I've seen.
Sponsored